U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 11:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 983,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
well but that was the way they are reporting deaths...not new cases
...but.....they way they are reporting cases is just as messed up
Some of it is you have to have symptoms or exposure to even be tested in the first place...they let people get out of line and don't adjust their records....then there's the inherent problems with the tests of showing false negatives and positives

In spite of all the hype and hysteria...this has nothing to do with DeSantis...this is just lazy sloppy people
...everything from the Fla Dept of Health...to the CDC....to hosps

..which should put the fear of God in anyone that goes to a hosp for anything
Isn’t he in charge of the dept of health? Can’t he make the hospitals report accurately by threatening to withhold funding. Exactly how does he have nothing to do with this and just about every other state does better? Does he also have nothing to do with the unemployment system being totally messed up? Some of these incompetent folks must be state employees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 11:47 AM

204 posts, read 110,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I was hoping the reporting of the numbers was grossly inflated by the reporting agencies (not just the media) so Florida can get down to actual lower numbers. Are you saying the over 10K new cases being reported each day is a correct or incorrect number? Why is Florida usually 2 to 3 times higher than other states? This is what I can't understand and I know you have tried to explain it to me Corrie, thanks for that, I just can't get it.
If you want to talk about cases, Florida seems like the only state where people are willing to line up in their cars for 12 hours, just to get tested. (As reported by CNN) That would explain such a high number of cases. And heaven forbid somebody dies waiting in that line, because according to Orange County Health Officer Dr. Raul Pino one could use the argument that that person died from covid19 waiting in line to get tested. (Referring to the motorcycle crash death that was listed as a covid19 death)

Old 07-26-2020, 01:36 PM

1,756 posts, read 908,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
If you want to talk about cases, Florida seems like the only state where people are willing to line up in their cars for 12 hours, just to get tested. (As reported by CNN) That would explain such a high number of cases. And heaven forbid somebody dies waiting in that line, because according to Orange County Health Officer Dr. Raul Pino one could use the argument that that person died from covid19 waiting in line to get tested. (Referring to the motorcycle crash death that was listed as a covid19 death)

Well sure there is more testing being done in Florida, but I'm comparing populations too.

Florida population 21.5M, 12,199 new cases yesterday, 3.3M tests.
Texas population 29M, 7735 new cases, 3.6M tests.
Illinois population 12.7M, 1426 new cases, 2.5M tests.
NC 10.5M population, 2028 new cases, 1.6M tests.
Only CA beats FL, population 39.7M, 10,183 new cases, 7M tests.

I guess I should be happy that the #deaths in Florida per capita are low.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:24 AM

9,526 posts, read 5,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
With this nutty logic, American officials should just wait until Dec, 31 of each year to report the millions of deaths in America and make it seem like it happened in that one day so Americans can have a scare every year just before the new year. Maybe shut down the entire next year to save the potential millions of death. Then reopen it back up and rinse and repeat. So every other year we can have a shutdown. I see no problem if it was done this way.
Daily, weekly, monthly, annually? It makes no difference. As long as the reporting is accurate, and allowing adequate time will assist that, what difference will it make? It can't really be made any simpler; some just look for things to complain about.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
good grief....do you still not get it...or are you just pretending to not get it

If someone dies on 6/1....and they don't record it until a month later
...you don't pool and entire months of deaths and report them all as if they died on 7/1

you go back and record the death on 6/1 as dying on 6/1, and add it to 6/1

They pooled and entire months of deaths....reported them all as if they died on that one day

...and the crazy news media ran with it...."Florida record one day deaths...173"

When the truth is only 20 people died that day......153 deaths were backlogged from over a month before and just reported on that day
I get it just fine. Only someone too ignorant to read and understand how a report is prepared would have a problem with such a report. I suspect the "crazy news media" has a much better understanding than you.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:11 AM

4,889 posts, read 3,881,496 times
I suspect some of the reporting lag comes from a deliberately dysfunctional reporting infrastructure much like the FL unemployment system was designed to fail. Perhaps they were wanting to suppress the deaths/cases weeks ago in order to justify reopening and it eventually caught up with them and they had to dump the withheld death numbers rather than keep rolling them over. That's my conspiracy theory for the day. Our Governor's past actions would seem to support this possibility.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:55 AM

7,103 posts, read 2,002,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I get it just fine. Only someone too ignorant to read and understand how a report is prepared would have a problem with such a report. I suspect the "crazy news media" has a much better understanding than you.
well if you get it....why are you still going on with it....it's the news media that's reporting it wrong...so obviously, you still don't get it

NPR > July 23, 2020......."Florida Sets Yet Another Coronavirus Record: 173 Deaths In A Day"

No only 20 people died that day...they pooled an entire months of deaths and reported them all on that one day

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...eaths-in-a-day

Last edited by Corrie22; 07-27-2020 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-27-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
well if you get it....why are you still going on with it....it's the news media that's reporting it wrong...so obviously, you still don't get it

NPR > July 23, 2020......."Florida Sets Yet Another Coronavirus Record: 173 Deaths In A Day"

No only 20 people died that day...they pooled an entire months of deaths and reported them all on that one day

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...eaths-in-a-day
The lie begins in the title of this topic. Florida is not misrepresenting or misreporting inflated COVID-19 numbers. Why are you carrying on as if it was?

Errors made independently of the reported statistics by outside parties are not the responsibility of the state.

Do you have a point at all other than simply to inflate some small errors into a huge conspiracy?

Old 07-28-2020, 04:55 AM

4,889 posts, read 3,881,496 times
Has anyone else heard the apocryphal sounding story about a friend of a friend who went to get tested, signed up, waited for hours and finally left frustrated without getting tested only to receive a positive test report a few days later? I have heard this exact story from three different people in the last week, two in Florida and one in Alabama. The stories are too similar for me to accept as truth but who knows?

Old 07-28-2020, 06:15 AM

7,103 posts, read 2,002,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The lie begins in the title of this topic. Florida is not misrepresenting or misreporting inflated COVID-19 numbers. Why are you carrying on as if it was?

Errors made independently of the reported statistics by outside parties are not the responsibility of the state.

Do you have a point at all other than simply to inflate some small errors into a huge conspiracy?
the title goes with the first post...and it's accurate
reporting 100% positive tests is grossly inflating CV numbers
reporting 76% positive rates when it's actually 6% is not "inflating some small number"
reporting only positive tests....and not reporting negative tests...is not some small errors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or