Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,291 times

Advertisements

I have an awesome job opportunity in Auburndale, but I'm typically used to bigger cities(Not huge but not so small, I'm from Coral Springs-ish area and just finished school in Gainesville). I'd rather live somewhere with a younger population and fun stuff to do so I'd love to be in Tampa or Orlando area, but I'm worried a 45 minute drive to work 4 days a week will be pretty rough, especially if I-4 is bad.

So I figured it might be better to stay in the area, like somewhere in Polk County, and I've been looking at Winter Haven or Lakeland as my perception is that those are some of the bigger of the small town areas.

Of those two (or other cities in that area you might recommend!), what are the differences and maybe which do you think would be better suited for someone coming right out of school? Or should I just suck up the long drive to work and live in a city?

Let me know if anybody who knows the area has any opinion or can help, thank you so much in advance if anybody answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 01:36 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Lakeland is a nice city of just over 100K people and has a pretty active downtown with a pretty sizable younger demographic also and might be worth checking out. However the drive to/from Auburndale is more like 30 minutes from Lake Buena Vista in SW Orlando which is where the Disney Springs nightlife venue is located, so there's plenty to do in your own backyard if you decide to go that direction as well as downtown Orlando which is an easy Uber ride away from LBV.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:50 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_drem97 View Post
I have an awesome job opportunity in Auburndale, but I'm typically used to bigger cities(Not huge but not so small, I'm from Coral Springs-ish area and just finished school in Gainesville). I'd rather live somewhere with a younger population and fun stuff to do so I'd love to be in Tampa or Orlando area, but I'm worried a 45 minute drive to work 4 days a week will be pretty rough, especially if I-4 is bad.

So I figured it might be better to stay in the area, like somewhere in Polk County, and I've been looking at Winter Haven or Lakeland as my perception is that those are some of the bigger of the small town areas.

Of those two (or other cities in that area you might recommend!), what are the differences and maybe which do you think would be better suited for someone coming right out of school? Or should I just suck up the long drive to work and live in a city?

Let me know if anybody who knows the area has any opinion or can help, thank you so much in advance if anybody answers!
I would recommend Lakeland. Short drive from Auburndale, and it has a young and lively demographic. There is plenty to do here, although if you need lots of nightclubs and that sort of nightlife this might not be your place. But there are plenty of breweries, bars, events, live music venues and that sort of stuff to keep you occupied. And Lakeland is an easy drive to Tampa (or even Orlando) for even more to do. Check it out!

Old 05-13-2020, 07:15 PM

34 posts, read 21,502 times
i Highly recommend orlando, tampa, or st pete. Lakeland can work but still a major drive (45 min) from any decent cities with a good scene. Do you want to uber to go out or maybe you don't drink alot?

Old 05-13-2020, 08:13 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
If in Polk County, I guess Lakeland proper, but it will be way different than Gainesville or Coral Springs. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:24 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Lakeland is plenty big enough for you to meet people and enjoy your life.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:38 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,698,258 times
Stay away from Frostproof and Dirt Roads !!!!!

Old 07-23-2020, 11:27 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Stay away from Frostproof and Dirt Roads !!!!!
The proper advice should be to stay away from meth heads.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:57 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,698,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The proper advice should be to stay away from meth heads.
Then for that REASON don't ever moved ANYWHERE !!!!!! America is Surrounded by them !!!

Old 07-23-2020, 04:50 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Then for that REASON don't ever moved ANYWHERE !!!!!! America is Surrounded by them !!!
Lots of meth heads fred in polk for sure. And don't go fishing at nite dwight and end up getting killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida