Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 09:49 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree. The sales center parking lots I drive past are packed. Lots of New York plates on the cars.
we have 3 houses for sale on our street.....it's been non stop showings

...and a slow parade of cars looking every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 09:56 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Back to topic. In my little world, my neighborhood in Florida is selling more homes than when I moved from NY 4 years ago. Also have NY friends still wanting to come to Florida.
Defunding the NYC police department will decimate NYC's tax base. Tourism is big in NYC like it is in FLA, and tourist will be afraid to venture into NYC w/o a strong police presence.

I also read where more NYC office workers are telecommuting rather than reporting to work in the city. If they are telecommuting, they can do that from Florida!

Americans are fleeing the big cities now faster than ever, and the Winters up North too. More boomers are retiring, and leaving for Greener pastures. There used to be just the winter weather, but now there are many more factors driving the masses South....taxes, crime, cost of living, disease, & even politics.

Florida's real estate market must be doing really well right now. I read new home builder sentiment is the highest its been for months.

The sales center in my community is a hub of activity. They just added 2 more agents.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:52 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
yeah right...excuses excuses

...and each time they profess they are right and do it this way

and today's expert is > fill in the blank
Methinks you don't necessarily understand how science works.

That's ok; I get it. Science denial is the new religion.

The only excuses I see are the "Hey, they didn't get it completely right right off the bat. Nothin' them there scientists say must ever be right. My high school diploma's better 'n them there doctorates. If they can't get something that's new immediately right, they're just dumb and I don't have to listen."

I mean, first we had no antibiotics. Then we just had penicillin. Now we have a whole slew of antibiotics tailored to individual bacteria. Does that mean early-20th century doctors and scientists were idiots? We used to use leeches in medical procedures, too. When you know better, you do better.

As to the thread, lots of New Yorkers move here every year. Why is this news?

Old 07-20-2020, 05:47 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post

The shear # of New Yorkers moving here now (270/day!), & the vast amount of wealth they are bringing with them has grown exponentially.

You can ask Cuomo why its news...he said "it's as serious as a heart attack" because NY's losing their tax base, so he needs to raise taxes more, & cut services again.

Remember when Cuomo had to ignore science, & not buy the $1B worth of ventilators his scientists at the New York Health Department implored him to buy 2 years ago? Then, when covid-19 struck, Trump had to bail him out by shipping him ventilators...because New York is going broke and couldn't buy their own.

Remember when Cuomo ignored science, & failed to disinfect the subways...to save money? That was a major contributor to the spread of covid-19 throughout NYC.

Remember when Cuomo had to stick covid-19 patients into nursing homes? That was because the hospital bed count has fallen below safe levels (according to medical scientists) over the past few years...because NYC is going broke, and can't afford them. Remember when Trump had to put beds into the Javits center & bring in the hospital ship?

New York is losing Billions to FLA every year now, and NY is having to make a lot of tough decisions on ventilators, disease control, & hospital beds. That is why its news.

And now, NYC office workers are discovering they no longer need to come into the city to work, they can work from home, & come in to the office once a week. That's a huge hit to NYC tax base, and commerical real estate market.

NYC is in a death spiral, & if you include their pension shortfalls, they are broke. The largest city in America is in decline, & Florida is benefitting. This is huge news for the FLA economy & real estate market.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:01 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Methinks you don't necessarily understand how science works.

That's ok; I get it. Science denial is the new religion.

The only excuses I see are the "Hey, they didn't get it completely right right off the bat. Nothin' them there scientists say must ever be right. My high school diploma's better 'n them there doctorates. If they can't get something that's new immediately right, they're just dumb and I don't have to listen."

I mean, first we had no antibiotics. Then we just had penicillin. Now we have a whole slew of antibiotics tailored to individual bacteria. Does that mean early-20th century doctors and scientists were idiots? We used to use leeches in medical procedures, too. When you know better, you do better.

coming from the same liberals that won't give DeSantis or Trump a break because they got it wrong the first time....taking advice from "scientists" that got it wrong the first time

Methinks you don't necessarily understand the meaning of hypocrisy

Old 07-20-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The shear # of New Yorkers moving here now (270/day!), & the vast amount of wealth they are bringing with them has grown exponentially.
I won't lower myself to respond to the rest of the tripe in that post but...

Have some nuance. Think about it. For most of February-May, most of those 100 NYers a day that usually move out weren't doing so. So now you have that movement compressed. If we're still seeing those kinds of numbers into Sept/Oct, then it might be news.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
coming from the same liberals that won't give DeSantis or Trump a break because they got it wrong the first time....taking advice from "scientists" that got it wrong the first time

Methinks you don't necessarily understand the meaning of hypocrisy
Well, even if I were a liberal, I'd just be one, not multiple. Personally, I don't usually deign to speak for others or a group of others.

But, then again, thought this was just me having a conversation with you. And I didn't bother to mention either the governor or the president. But, hey, I know there's this whole thing these days where certain people can't bother to have a specific conversation without turning it into political generalities.

Hypocrisy pot...meet kettle.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:

And now, NYC office workers are discovering they no longer need to come into the city to work, they can work from home, & come in to the office once a week. That's a huge hit to NYC tax base, and commerical real estate market.

NYC is in a death spiral, & if you include their pension shortfalls, they are broke. The largest city in America is in decline, & Florida is benefitting. This is huge news for the FLA economy & real estate market.
Some can telecommute but a lot cannot and New York City remains the place where you go to earn the big money before moving elsewhere to burn it later. There will always be a fresh crop of aspiring 25 year old investment bankers headed to The Big City and that Big City is not going to change any time soon no matter how much North Carolina tries to lure some of those jobs southward.

Florida is the place they come to burn the money and those New Yorkers moving downward create a lot of service industry jobs (bartender, shopkeeper) rather than high wage-high skill positions.

The only place that seems positioned to capture any of the top tier NYC jobs is Miami, which has taken baby steps in some ways to be the commercial, financial and entertainment hub for Latin America (and Current White House Occupant is screwing with their ability to do that) but isn't well positioned to grab the Anglo side of those businesses.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:38 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Well, even if I were a liberal, I'd just be one, not multiple. Personally, I don't usually deign to speak for others or a group of others.

But, then again, thought this was just me having a conversation with you. And I didn't bother to mention either the governor or the president. But, hey, I know there's this whole thing these days where certain people can't bother to have a specific conversation without turning it into political generalities.

Hypocrisy pot...meet kettle.
Basically you don't have an answer for your hypocrisy so now you want to come back with some bs. Typical.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:18 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Some can telecommute but a lot cannot and New York City remains the place where you go to earn the big money before moving elsewhere to burn it later. There will always be a fresh crop of aspiring 25 year old investment bankers headed to The Big City and that Big City is not going to change any time soon no matter how much North Carolina tries to lure some of those jobs southward.

Florida is the place they come to burn the money and those New Yorkers moving downward create a lot of service industry jobs (bartender, shopkeeper) rather than high wage-high skill positions.

The only place that seems positioned to capture any of the top tier NYC jobs is Miami, which has taken baby steps in some ways to be the commercial, financial and entertainment hub for Latin America (and Current White House Occupant is screwing with their ability to do that) but isn't well positioned to grab the Anglo side of those businesses.
Yes, and even if people can telecommute, most jobs aren’t going to allow people to keep their same NYC salaries if they move to FL. There has been a high demand for NYC folks outside of NYC, but it tends to be in the NYC suburbs, not places like FL. Companies pay NYC/SF/LA salaries because those salaries are required for people to live in those areas. They aren’t going to pay that salary for a person to live in Tampa or Palm Beach.

I’m in Chicagoland now and most people seem to have some family member who has moved to Florida. It is very popular with retirees. That isn’t going to change now, but people weren’t able to come down for a few months to house hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida