Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 06:54 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,124,837 times

Advertisements

Sadly, the New Yorkers will bring their trash liberal politics down there with them and turn Florida into another liberal cesspool like the state they are fleeing from.

Once Florida is trashed, I wonder where they’ll flee to next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 07:01 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,156,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Sadly, the New Yorkers will bring their trash liberal politics down there with them and turn Florida into another liberal cesspool like the state they are fleeing from.

"Hopefully with all the excess weight of all the people, Florida will sink".

I hope they have fun standing in line for eateries and waiting a long time for medical services especially in the winter months - I know this is already happening and will only get worse.

I'm a registered Independent and have not and never will be a democrat voter, but I see the future being democrat ruled as a dictatorship because of liberal people relocating and still voting the same, like voting the same will change from what they left.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:03 AM

482 posts, read 412,964 times
I'll move 25 miles away just over the border into GA. Good to have options.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:14 AM

25,225 posts, read 12,353,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
I'll move 25 miles away just over the border into GA. Good to have options.
Georgia has a 6% income tax. We have friends who live in St. Mary's, and we used to live in Atlanta, and paid over $100,000 in Georgia income taxes I wish I could have back.

The cost of car ownership is also very high in Georgia. I read a coule of years ago it ranked in the top 5 costliest due to al the taxes.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:34 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
New York is the deadliest State per capita for covid-19, and nearby New Jersey, & Connecticut are #2 & #3.

Florida ranks#25, so Florida's a safe play for New Yorkers fleeing the pandemic of covid-19.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo.../#622cd6ea55dc

High taxes, riots, & exploding murder rates, are all contributing to the mass exodus from New York to Florida which New York Cuomo says is as "serious as a heart attack".

The exodus, which began shortly after the 911 terror attacks, and escalated due to the SALT tax laws, is now being fueled by the pandemic, protests, & crime (recent outbreak of murders in NYC).

Even Alexandria Ocasio Cortez's Mother left New York!

270 New Yorkers a day move from New York to Florida, and the rate is increasing.

Mayor DeBlasio said taxes must increase even more, and services cut deeper.

Make room Floridians.
I welcome them all with open arms!!!!

If any New Yorkers are reading this, please come to Florida, we have beautiful weather, no state income taxes and a very low cost of living. Heaven on Earth.....WELCOME!!!!

Old 07-21-2020, 08:39 AM

2,177 posts, read 1,115,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Basically you don't have an answer for your hypocrisy so now you want to come back with some bs. Typical.
BS for pointing out that that poster tried to bring something into the argument that I didn't even say? Totally going to bet you were actually even following along.

Cool story, bro.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:14 AM

24,325 posts, read 26,716,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

On the flip side, I don’t want people from Oklahoma turning our state into a brain dead anti-science imbred cesspool either. Let the extremes stay away on either party. Right now Texas even hd the guts to mandate face masks on a state level. So please stay in your crappy states with no jobs and/or intelligence unless you’re willing to come to the middle.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,719,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Defunding the NYC police department will decimate NYC's tax base. Tourism is big in NYC like it is in FLA, and tourist will be afraid to venture into NYC w/o a strong police presence.

I also read where more NYC office workers are telecommuting rather than reporting to work in the city. If they are telecommuting, they can do that from Florida!

Americans are fleeing the big cities now faster than ever, and the Winters up North too. More boomers are retiring, and leaving for Greener pastures. There used to be just the winter weather, but now there are many more factors driving the masses South....taxes, crime, cost of living, disease, & even politics.

Florida's real estate market must be doing really well right now. I read new home builder sentiment is the highest its been for months.

The sales center in my community is a hub of activity. They just added 2 more agents.
I think the term "defund" was a very poor choice of words. It looks cool on a sign, but it sends the wrong message. Again, of course, you have the extremists who mean it literally, but I believe the majority of them are merely asking for a reallocation of resources to things that may be more humane or effective. Does a Broward County beach town that's 5 square miles really need military-grade equipment? Maybe save that for the Top 15 cities proper by population and the sheriff's departments.

I would say the intent for "defund the police" is the equivalent of significantly reducing school standardized testing (and all the money that Pearson gets from districts/states) in lieu of other interventions, or more healthcare dollars being spent on prevention vs. treatment.

But that's a topic for another thread....

Real estate hasn't skipped a beat since COVID blew up and was already on fire. Homes disappearing off of the market within hours of being posted has been the norm for a couple of years. There have been anecdotal stories in the Business Journal showing an uptick in interest from northeasterners in places like Tampa or Orlando, but I wonder if the uptick is statistically relevant or at the same level as it's always been. Perhaps people who were planning to move here in 3 years anyway accelerated their plans.

I heard one person say that while he agrees that there is a TON of new interest in Florida, he predicts that most will end up hating it in 2-3 years, and there will be a glut of rental/vacation homes on the market as a chunk of those people return to their former areas. Who knows if that will prove to be true. Just putting it out there.

We used to see this in the Orlando forum a lot when it was a lot more active. People vacation or attend a convention here and then decide to move here. Then they realize that living here is not the same "wow" experience as their vacation. Even prominent Orlando theme park internet influencers talk about this. Disney annual passes are $600 a head. You don't do regular full-day trips to the parks when you live here. You don't indulge at (touristy) restaurants when you live here. You don't hang out on International Drive that much. I'd say most people tend to spend money more frivolously on vacation, and mostly justifiably so, than they do in the place they live. You can't put as much time into doing the things you fell in love with on vacation when combined with the everyday things that are the norm for people living in any city in America. You're probably making less money here if you are still of traditional working age, and contrary to the outdated popular opinion, the lower taxes and supposed lower cost of living aren't compensating enough for that lower income.

I'll comment on telecommuting below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Some can telecommute but a lot cannot and New York City remains the place where you go to earn the big money before moving elsewhere to burn it later. There will always be a fresh crop of aspiring 25 year old investment bankers headed to The Big City and that Big City is not going to change any time soon no matter how much North Carolina tries to lure some of those jobs southward.

Florida is the place they come to burn the money and those New Yorkers moving downward create a lot of service industry jobs (bartender, shopkeeper) rather than high wage-high skill positions.

The only place that seems positioned to capture any of the top tier NYC jobs is Miami, which has taken baby steps in some ways to be the commercial, financial and entertainment hub for Latin America (and Current White House Occupant is screwing with their ability to do that) but isn't well positioned to grab the Anglo side of those businesses.
YES YES YES! As I've said many times, the hip places that always come up for ambitious 20 something college grads to be despite the living costs are typically the unicorns NYC/LA/CHI as well as San Francisco, Boston, Austin, Atlanta, Seattle and maybe the Texas megacenters of Dallas-Ft. Worth and Houston. Dallas and Houston are actually pretty affordable though and may give the best bang for one's buck. For mid-size areas, add Charlotte, Portland OR (?), and again Austin. Greater Miami as well as Tampa/Orlando for that matter, are afterthoughts. Like you said, you go to Florida to burn money created elsewhere, which creates our state's over-dependency on service related jobs and industries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, and even if people can telecommute, most jobs aren’t going to allow people to keep their same NYC salaries if they move to FL. There has been a high demand for NYC folks outside of NYC, but it tends to be in the NYC suburbs, not places like FL. Companies pay NYC/SF/LA salaries because those salaries are required for people to live in those areas. They aren’t going to pay that salary for a person to live in Tampa or Palm Beach.
Exactly. Facebook has even considered the idea of adjusting salaries for cost of living if newly remote employees choose to live outside of the San Francisco Bay area. I wonder if other companies would follow suit.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:42 PM

11,973 posts, read 7,732,396 times
New York may not be perfect. But if your 25-40 years old it's exciting, fun and great.

If you graduated with a good degree... Jobs in Boston, NYC and DC can pay up to 3x more than FL. Remember, Florida is not appealing to younger people. We want excitement and aubways. Not chain restaurants closing down at 9pm.

Il go ahead and make my $450,000 a yearr in/around the cities... But doesn't mean I Love it forever.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:54 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,577,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I welcome them all with open arms!!!!

If any New Yorkers are reading this, please come to Florida, we have beautiful weather, no state income taxes and a very low cost of living. Heaven on Earth.....WELCOME!!!!
Where is this very low cost of living? The $4000 homeowners insurance many people pay? The HOAs (and sometimes CDDs) people pay that they don’t have to pay up north (assuming they aren’t in a high-end condo/COOP)? The lack of public transport that requires people to have a car and be in it for a long time each day? How about the wages that are typically 1/3 that of what you make in NYC?

I don’t live in NYC, but I live in Chicagoland and pay here is usually higher than Miami even though the cost of living is lower. You can easily live somewhere nice with access to public transport and not need a car. The taxes also pay for something- namely better schools, particularly in suburban areas. There are a couple of areas in FL like St. Johns County that have good schools, but for the most part, Florida’s public school system is poor. It is still cheaper to pay higher property taxes (with much lower homeowners insurance) for schools than to pay for private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida