Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2020, 08:18 AM
 
14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
Reputation: 14163

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ppl who are making a lot of $$ in NY would take such a large paycut in FL. If they want nice weather, @ least CA is comparable salaries.

New York is not only NYC.
Actually when we moved to FL from NY that resulted in a pay raise. And then to GA for another. Tech executives can get paid well anywhere. The only general NYC exception is the financial industry where they will pay a huge multiple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 AM
 
2,580 posts, read 3,716,403 times
Reputation: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Cuomo had everything deleted and disappeared...



Here's the order he issued > https://twitter.com/JaniceDean/statu...093314/photo/1
I remember seeing the order when I did the Twitter search a week or two ago. What I meant is that I couldn’t find a sea of conservatives decrying the decision when it happened. There was something by a medical group up there and maybe one commentator.

But maybe this was signed behind the scenes, so no one outside of the industry really knew about it under way after the fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 AM
 
18,202 posts, read 8,017,646 times
Reputation: 13471
No one realized what happened...until it was too late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 12:27 PM
 
Location: West Florida
16,829 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Reputation: 23366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes but the remote is not likely to be forever
How so? If you're offered a job with the option to work remotely, your job is remote -- period. You might have to travel to an office building in a different state once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Lmao
You don't think people like Florida? LOL. The ignorance is strong with you.


*For the record, my salary is the same here as it would be anywhere else in the country. The whole "you make less in FL than you do in other states" doesn't apply to a myriad of professional occupations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 01:05 PM
 
9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
Reputation: 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
How so? If you're offered a job with the option to work remotely, your job is remote -- period. You might have to travel to an office building in a different state once a month.



You don't think people like Florida? LOL. The ignorance is strong with you.


*For the record, my salary is the same here as it would be anywhere else in the country. The whole "you make less in FL than you do in other states" doesn't apply to a myriad of professional occupations.
Except in the past, some jobs that have been remote changed to not remote. For many companies, like the big tech companies, then can and already do pay differently depending on where you live. It is the same with the federal government. You can only get locality pay under normal circumstances if you are living within 2 hours of the locality. Right now that has been waived, since there are people who did alternate work schedules- worked/lived in one city 3 nights a week to do a 4-day workweek and went home for the other 3.

Most jobs do not pay the same in Florida as they do in other states. This is well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 05:10 PM
 
Location: In an indoor space
7,685 posts, read 6,150,718 times
Reputation: 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Cuomo did an excellent job, especially considering NY was on the front line of this and the first big city in the U.S. to really get hit hard.

Can't wait for him to run for President! President Cuomo......say it together, PRESIDENT CUOMO.

Yeah by sending infected COVID into nursing homes, not stockpiling ventilators a few years back, and many/most people leaving are probably IMO Republican voters who don't want to pay Democrat taxes/COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
7,968 posts, read 10,534,749 times
Reputation: 18725
They may be "fleeing" New York, we keep hearing that.

But, if they are homeowners, doesn't that mean that they have house/property to sell, so someone has to be moving IN?

Most of us just can't "flee" where we are that easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 11:14 AM
 
Location: West Florida
16,829 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Reputation: 23366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Except in the past, some jobs that have been remote changed to not remote. For many companies, like the big tech companies, then can and already do pay differently depending on where you live. It is the same with the federal government. You can only get locality pay under normal circumstances if you are living within 2 hours of the locality. Right now that has been waived, since there are people who did alternate work schedules- worked/lived in one city 3 nights a week to do a 4-day workweek and went home for the other 3.

Most jobs do not pay the same in Florida as they do in other states. This is well known.
There's a "locality adjustment," you're right. Florida doesn't necessarily rank poorly on a national scale. It's right about average.

https://www.federalpay.org/gs/2020

And while I hate to bring up state income tax, it does make a difference in these cases. 12% state income tax in California, for example, kind of nullifies that 30% vs 19% scale adjustment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 11:48 AM
 
9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
Reputation: 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
There's a "locality adjustment," you're right. Florida doesn't necessarily rank poorly on a national scale. It's right about average.

https://www.federalpay.org/gs/2020

And while I hate to bring up state income tax, it does make a difference in these cases. 12% state income tax in California, for example, kind of nullifies that 30% vs 19% scale adjustment.
Huh? Most of Florida is the rest of US. Plus, look at Houston. No state income tax and people there get paid more than they make in DC. My understanding is that it is based on market rate, not state income tax. If that were the case, people in Houston wouldn’t be making more than people make in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2020, 09:09 PM
 
2,580 posts, read 3,716,403 times
Reputation: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Huh? Most of Florida is the rest of US. Plus, look at Houston. No state income tax and people there get paid more than they make in DC. My understanding is that it is based on market rate, not state income tax. If that were the case, people in Houston wouldn’t be making more than people make in DC.
I don't know much about the federal adjustment stuff that you two are talking about, but in many COL discussions, the Texas megacenters are rarely if ever brought up as examples of the possibility of affordable, big city living that is experiencing nearly the same amount of growth as here.

Kudos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top