Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 04:25 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,690,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
How would wearing a fabric mask save OP’s life?

What evidence do we have that wearing a mask is effective in preventing COVID-19?

There are several strands of evidence supporting the efficacy of masks.

One category of evidence comes from laboratory studies of respiratory droplets and the ability of various masks to block them. An experiment using high-speed video found that hundreds of droplets ranging from 20 to 500 micrometers were generated when saying a simple phrase, but that nearly all these droplets were blocked when the mouth was covered by a damp washcloth. Another study of people who had influenza or the common cold found that wearing a surgical mask significantly reduced the amount of these respiratory viruses emitted in droplets and aerosols.

But the strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. “The most important thing are the epidemiologic data,” said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called “experiments of nature.”

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

Another study looked at coronavirus deaths across 198 countries and found that those with cultural norms or government policies favoring mask-wearing had lower death rates.

Two compelling case reports also suggest that masks can prevent transmission in high-risk scenarios, said Chin-Hong and Rutherford. In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight, and all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for COVID-19. In another case, in late May, two hair stylists in Missouri had close contact with 140 clients while sick with COVID-19. Everyone wore a mask and none of the clients tested positive.

Non Believer Idiots ..... wear a Mask and a Comdom too when in DOUBT !!!!!

Trumposo uses one now, If you ask me...Too little and TOO LATE !!!! His Health could be SPARED, but his CULO, a GONER come November !!!

Last edited by Huasho; 07-26-2020 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 04:49 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Rude? If they had said anything to me, I would have left with no problem. A piece of paper is just that and has no power.

I'm resisting superstition and mob mentality. Most people are sheep. Even if they know something is BS they will go along with it because they are weak. Those of us who are not weak need to project our strength to be an example.
You know, you're absolutely right. I totally agree with you. Meet me at the exit ramp on exit 97 on the Florida's Turnpike, and I'll demonstrate to you how much I agree with you, by rejecting their stupid speed limits on exit ramps. I'm no sheep! I will show you how strong I am! Just be sure to get out of your car and stand in front of me while I'm on my way down the ramp.

Power to the people and all that, right?

Old 07-26-2020, 04:52 AM

30,403 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You know, you're absolutely right. I totally agree with you. Meet me at the exit ramp on exit 97 on the Florida's Turnpike, and I'll demonstrate to you how much I agree with you, by rejecting their stupid speed limits on exit ramps. I'm no sheep! I will show you how strong I am! Just be sure to get out of your car and stand in front of me while I'm on my way down the ramp.

Power to the people and all that, right?
Anytime ya wanna race mace let me know. I do WOT burst to 160mph+ on on ramps like a champ.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:55 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Yes we have an obvious problem, but it's not what you think it is.

The issue is that, apart from being a useless superstition, masks are dehumanizing, deceptive, and spread irrational fear.
Actually they spread rational comfort. Knowing that everyone else in the store is complying with the store's rules/requests, and that you too are among the demographic known as "people who respect a store's rules/requests" is comforting.

The ones who make every effort to reject and mock not only the store, but everyone who is complying - THEY are the perceived threat worth fearing.

They give you a wide berth in the aisles NOT because they respect you - but because they fear you. YOU are the "other." YOU are the one they think is most likely to go off into some kind of violent mad rage and start shooting at random customers because of your damned freedoms and "rights."

You get zero respect from anyone for this. No one thinks you're an alpha male. The alpha male strives to PROTECT its pack, not threaten it. You are the predator, not the pack leader.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:01 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,690,015 times
Ghaati, Most of US copy you and . . .

Amen.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:51 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,634 times
Yep 600,000 people dead globally means it's all a big SCAM!

Old 07-26-2020, 11:55 AM

416 posts, read 247,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
What evidence do we have that wearing a mask is effective in preventing COVID-19?

One category of evidence comes from laboratory studies of respiratory droplets and the ability of various masks to block them. An experiment using high-speed video found that hundreds of droplets ranging from 20 to 500 micrometers were generated when saying a simple phrase, but that nearly all these droplets were blocked when the mouth was covered by a damp washcloth. Another study of people who had influenza or the common cold found that wearing a surgical mask significantly reduced the amount of these respiratory viruses emitted in droplets and aerosols.

But the strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. “The most important thing are the epidemiologic data,” said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called “experiments of nature.”

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

Another study looked at coronavirus deaths across 198 countries and found that those with cultural norms or government policies favoring mask-wearing had lower death rates.

Two compelling case reports also suggest that masks can prevent transmission in high-risk scenarios, said Chin-Hong and Rutherford. In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight, and all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for COVID-19. In another case, in late May, two hair stylists in Missouri had close contact with 140 clients while sick with COVID-19. Everyone wore a mask and none of the clients tested positive.

Trumposo uses one now, If you ask me...Too little and TOO LATE !!!! His Health could be SPARED, but his CULO, a GONER come November !!!
Again, how would wearing a fabric mask save OP's life?

You know, if you keep your mouth shut and not go karen on people in public; that is about as efficient as wearing a fabric mask.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:13 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Again, how would wearing a fabric mask save OP's life?

You know, if you keep your mouth shut and not go karen on people in public; that is about as efficient as wearing a fabric mask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post

If reading comprehension isn't your forte, let us know, and we can dumb it down for you.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:33 PM

416 posts, read 247,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If reading comprehension isn't your forte, let us know, and we can dumb it down for you.
It's not, so please dumb it down for me.

How would wearing a fabric mask save OP's life?

Your response?

Old 07-26-2020, 12:46 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
It's not, so please dumb it down for me.

How would wearing a fabric mask save OP's life?

Your response?

It can help in preventing the spread of a potentially lethal illness. Lethal illness prevention = potentially life-saving.

Also, 1 + 1 is read as "one plus one," and it's equal to 2... Or, "two."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida