U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 10:08 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,738,270 times

Advertisements

Is it better to buy a new car after moving to Florida? If we buy a new car before moving to Florida, we have to pay about $400 to $600 to transfer the registration to Florida. Plus a big ticket item, you have to pay the difference in sales tax for items purchased within six months, if Florida has a higher sales tax. Are those high registration fees also part of the cost when you buy a new car in Florida? Would it be better to buy a new car out of state, or wait until we are Florida residents?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 10:16 AM

8,882 posts, read 17,436,648 times
Florida gets you on the initial license plate charge/pound of flesh whether you're buying new down here or bringing down a vehicle you long had in your old garage in the frozen hinterlands. The nice thing is that once you pay it, it's a much smaller fee to transfer the plate to a subsequent vehicle when you decide to trade in what you have for something new to you.

Sales tax differences, you have to run the numbers yourself. Also account for dealer fees (often high here, not sure how they are where you are) and any cost of getting the vehicle down here to get the full cost of buying either way.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:23 AM

175 posts, read 28,353 times
It all depends on the COST of the car/truck in the deal, right? If you can buy the same car cheaper where you are, then do that or vice versa -

You might be able to buy the same car ONLINE and have it shipped free to you door in FL

Old 08-02-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Florida gets you on the initial license plate charge/pound of flesh whether you're buying new down here or bringing down a vehicle you long had in your old garage in the frozen hinterlands. The nice thing is that once you pay it, it's a much smaller fee to transfer the plate to a subsequent vehicle when you decide to trade in what you have for something new to you.

Sales tax differences, you have to run the numbers yourself. Also account for dealer fees (often high here, not sure how they are where you are) and any cost of getting the vehicle down here to get the full cost of buying either way.
That’s interesting, the license plate is transferred to your new vehicle, when you eventually buy a replacement vehicle in Florida. When we buy new vehicles in Minnesota, the new vehicle gets a new license plate. The old vehicle keeps the old license plate. The only reason that you’d transfer the license plate from the old car, to the replacement new car is if the license plate was a custom license plate.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:41 AM

134 posts, read 37,922 times
They also keep a record of the tags you paid for. For example, when I moved to Florida I had three cars for which I paid the high new tag fee . I sold one of the cars and turned in the tag. I recently bought another third car and got a new plate but didn't pay the new tag fee because of the tag I had previously.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
They also keep a record of the tags you paid for. For example, when I moved to Florida I had three cars for which I paid the high new tag fee . I sold one of the cars and turned in the tag. I recently bought another third car and got a new plate but didn't pay the new tag fee because of the tag I had previously.
Does that condition expire? For example, if you sell a car that you paid the one-time registration fee, then buy a replacement car in 1, 5, or 10 years later, does that large registration fee expire after some point in time, so you'd be stuck paying the high registration fee again? I assume that you can't transfer or sell that high registration fee to anyone else.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:21 AM

134 posts, read 37,922 times
In my case it was 8 years. I can't answer the rest of your question but I'm sure the DMV can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or