Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 724 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from my home state of Indiana to somewhere in Florida. I’m looking for a few specifics but otherwise would be happy just to be in Florida. I’m from northern Indiana and am sick of the cold winter weather. I get depressed in the fall and winter due to lack of sunshine. So here are my main priorities:

Affordability I’m not made of money, have a salary around 35K a year. I work for Walmart and prefer to transfer to another store rather than looking to work for a new company, at least at first.

LGBT friendly It doesn’t need to be party central, but I’d prefer somewhere that is at least somewhere I can feel comfortable being out and enough to have a decent social/personal life.

Urban I’d prefer either urban or suburban. I don’t really want to live in a rural area, but it doesn’t have to be downtown in a big city either.

Safety I’d like somewhere I don’t have to worry about my physical safety. I get that all cities have their crime, but I don’t want to feel unsafe either. I live somewhere that violence is usually related to drugs or is personal. I don’t feel unsafe going out at nights as long as you follow basic common sense.

I have visited Florida before but only up North. I had family that lived in Lake City so I’ve been to Gainesville, Jacksonville, St Augustine, and Destin. It’s been quite a while so I plan on visiting anywhere before I move but I’m not set on it having to be north or south Florida. Anyone who can help me with my search I would very much appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 03:49 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Being a Midwesterner I would recommend the Tampa Bay area which has more transplants from that area and would make for an easier assimilation versus other areas that tend to have many more from NY, NJ and other parts of the Northeast for example. As a member of the LGBT community myself I have found in my trips around the state the St Petersburg-Clearwater LGBT community the most welcoming and more down to earth. 35K is not a lot in FL but you'll find some options in terms of housing that are reasonably safe. I'd recommend the Pinellas Pointe area at the south end of St Pete, look for rental condos in the Pasadena area of Southwest St Pete (lots of retirees but quiet!) and also condos in/around downtown St Pete's northside (Historic Uptown and Crescent Lake neighborhoods) where one bedrooms can be found in the $850 range. There's a management company called Terrier Properties that manages some small buildings in the very desirable Old Northeast area near downtown that are affordable also and worth checking on. Unit - Terrier Properties

Old 08-08-2020, 04:24 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Glades county is where i would move.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:13 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Glades county is where i would move.
Need any help?

Old 08-09-2020, 04:33 AM

1,131 posts, read 387,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Need any help?
That would be great, kate.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:37 AM

1,131 posts, read 387,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredakin3 View Post
I am looking to relocate from my home state of Indiana to somewhere in Florida. I’m looking for a few specifics but otherwise would be happy just to be in Florida. I’m from northern Indiana and am sick of the cold winter weather. I get depressed in the fall and winter due to lack of sunshine. So here are my main priorities:

Affordability I’m not made of money, have a salary around 35K a year. I work for Walmart and prefer to transfer to another store rather than looking to work for a new company, at least at first.

LGBT friendly It doesn’t need to be party central, but I’d prefer somewhere that is at least somewhere I can feel comfortable being out and enough to have a decent social/personal life.

Urban I’d prefer either urban or suburban. I don’t really want to live in a rural area, but it doesn’t have to be downtown in a big city either.

Safety I’d like somewhere I don’t have to worry about my physical safety. I get that all cities have their crime, but I don’t want to feel unsafe either. I live somewhere that violence is usually related to drugs or is personal. I don’t feel unsafe going out at nights as long as you follow basic common sense.

I have visited Florida before but only up North. I had family that lived in Lake City so I’ve been to Gainesville, Jacksonville, St Augustine, and Destin. It’s been quite a while so I plan on visiting anywhere before I move but I’m not set on it having to be north or south Florida. Anyone who can help me with my search I would very much appreciate it!
I'd recommend the downtown area of ST Petersburg. St Pete doesn't have that downtown metro feel. It's more of tropical, relaxed feel. Certain parks of STP aren't safe, but the downtown area feels safe. Price of housing can be steep though. With the Rays baseball team leaving, I think you'll see more affordable housing open up around the current Tropicana Field. The area seems to be very LGBT friendly - annual parade to prove it.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:30 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Need any help?
Once i start buying up homes in that county i may need help to the gate kate or be late.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 AM

285 posts, read 229,064 times
please stay where you are, we don't need it

Old 08-10-2020, 10:14 AM

285 posts, read 229,064 times
better at CA west coast, try that first

Old 08-10-2020, 10:57 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Miami may fit the bill. Like any bigger city it has its share of crime, etc., though. Best to know someone or have family there to acclimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida