Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,011 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Myself and my husband are south florida natives, both born and raised in Broward county. However, after coming home from our service in the military (myself Navy and my husband was in the Marine Corps) we want to move from Broward. We have two little boys, 5 and 3 years old, we want to move to a more suburb area (with land, atleast 0.5 acre). We have driven up to Polk county several times to look around and get a feel for the area but I wanted some input from others who live in the area. We have looked at Eustis, Mount Dora, Oviedo, Clermont, Lakeland, Haines and Lake Wales. We do have a realtor, but I wanted to see what others say, like I said. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:51 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCivDiv View Post
Hello All,
Myself and my husband are south florida natives, both born and raised in Broward county. However, after coming home from our service in the military (myself Navy and my husband was in the Marine Corps) we want to move from Broward. We have two little boys, 5 and 3 years old, we want to move to a more suburb area (with land, atleast 0.5 acre). We have driven up to Polk county several times to look around and get a feel for the area but I wanted some input from others who live in the area. We have looked at Eustis, Mount Dora, Oviedo, Clermont, Lakeland, Haines and Lake Wales. We do have a realtor, but I wanted to see what others say, like I said. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

This question would be better in the Orlando forum. I think in the general Florida forum, most of your responses will be from people outside of Central Florida. With that being said, I live in Central Florida and we need to know a lot more information on budget and what you are looking for...

Old 08-13-2020, 12:12 PM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
I agree that we need much more information.

If budget isn't particularly low, I'd steer clear of Mount Dora/Eustis/Tavares. I don't find it to be a good place to raise kids, as the schools range from bad to terrible, and there is a severe lack of extra-curricular activities and amenities for kids there. You will find yourself driving to Seminole and Orange Counties, or Clermont, for virtually everything. I did that for 9 years and am happy to be out of there.

If looking at Orlando suburbs, for 0.5+ acres at a reasonable price, look into Oviedo, parts of Sanford, parts of Apopka, and if you have a healthier budget, parts of Longwood.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Well I am a Florida native, now living in Lakeland. I would seriously look here, it is about the most kid-friendly family oriented town I have seen in Florida. All kinds of parks and recreational amenities, cheap or free and lots to do here. Not sure of budget, but it is possible to get a large lot depending where you need to be.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2020, 03:12 PM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
I also agree on Lakeland.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:51 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
You can't go wrong with Oviedo or neighboring Chuluota. There's plenty of low density suburban neighborhoods to choose from, it's very safe and family-friendly yet close to the Orlando area's things to do. The public schools are among the top few percent in the state as well.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:55 AM

747 posts, read 496,559 times
Oviedo, then Clermont, then Lakeland. All are great places to live. Oviedo is gorgeous and has great parks and neighborhoods. It’s one of the beet places to raise children in the Orlando area and has great schools.

Clermont is a little further out but still pretty nice. Their downtown is currently undergoing a lot of development near the lakefront and will be a destination for families. Not too familiar with the schools however.

Lakeland is a nice little city that’s growing. It’s in the middle of Tampa and Orlando. I don’t know TOO much about it but the times I’ve visited, it’s been calm and mellow.

Overall, I’d pick Oviedo easily.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:46 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,630,765 times
This is a pretty broad request, so I'll just throw in another option. Have you look at Highlands County? Lake Placid/Sebring are excellent areas, super affordable, and very centralized making Orlando, Tampa, Palm Beach, and Miami/FLL all within 2 hours.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:23 PM

43 posts, read 96,329 times
Hi,

I have been looking into Clermont, FL. Is there any safe and friendly communities that you can recommend for a 65 year old woman who will be relocating from the Northeast to a rather large home by herself?
If not Clermont, FL. I welcome other suggestions. However, it is important that I am close to shopping and a good nearby hospital. I am not a long distance
driver and I would prefer to be a short distance away from the places I may need to get to. I understand the speed limit is higher in Florida and they drive a lot faster because everything is spread out. So some of my concerns are how easy it will be for me to get to Dr.'s appts. and run the errands that are necessary if I have to do a lot of heavy duty driving because things are so far away?

Old 08-14-2020, 06:11 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb710 View Post
Hi,

I have been looking into Clermont, FL. Is there any safe and friendly communities that you can recommend for a 65 year old woman who will be relocating from the Northeast to a rather large home by herself?
If not Clermont, FL. I welcome other suggestions. However, it is important that I am close to shopping and a good nearby hospital. I am not a long distance
driver and I would prefer to be a short distance away from the places I may need to get to. I understand the speed limit is higher in Florida and they drive a lot faster because everything is spread out. So some of my concerns are how easy it will be for me to get to Dr.'s appts. and run the errands that are necessary if I have to do a lot of heavy duty driving because things are so far away?
What is your budget for a home? Clermont isn't the kind of place I would recommend in your instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida