Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 02:34 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times

Advertisements

I traveled across Central and North Florida the last week for work and things seem to be 85-90% back to normal. Big box stores and shopping centers crowded. Restaurants busy. Traffic bad as ever in the typical areas.

I didn't sense people were cowering in fear at home afraid to go out like the media hyperventilates about at all the time.

Other than the masks, life seemed, pretty dare I say, normal?

I didn't go into geriatric or retirement areas, so are things much slower there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I traveled across Central and North Florida the last week for work and things seem to be 85-90% back to normal. Big box stores and shopping centers crowded. Restaurants busy. Traffic bad as ever in the typical areas.

I didn't sense people were cowering in fear at home afraid to go out like the media hyperventilates about at all the time.

Other than the masks, life seemed, pretty dare I say, normal?

I didn't go into geriatric or retirement areas, so are things much slower there?
I live down south in the state. I do notice when I go out to eat it's still much slower than normal the restaurants. Retail pretty much normal, the market I work in is slower because we don't have any European tourist right now shopping there so it's a lot slower there.

Again, I live in the oldest median age in Florida region. A lot of the older people are still freaked out around here about the germs. Restaurants in my area seem to be hurting.

Why do people pile in Publix, Wal-Mart, Home Depot but won't go out to eat?

Go out to eat and that. Don't listen to Fauci and the media.

The large fleamarket here in SWFL I have a shop in I'd say foot traffic is still 20-25 percent slower than this time last year.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:26 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Been back to clogged roads for months.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:12 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
I would say that I do see a lot of cars outside of plazas and such in Orlando. But foot traffic does not necessarily equate to high sales.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:23 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I live down south in the state. I do notice when I go out to eat it's still much slower than normal the restaurants. Retail pretty much normal, the market I work in is slower because we don't have any European tourist right now shopping there so it's a lot slower there.

Again, I live in the oldest median age in Florida region. A lot of the older people are still freaked out around here about the germs. Restaurants in my area seem to be hurting.

Why do people pile in Publix, Wal-Mart, Home Depot but won't go out to eat?

Go out to eat and that. Don't listen to Fauci and the media

The large fleamarket here in SWFL I have a shop in I'd say foot traffic is still 20-25 percent slower than this time last year.
That's worked out well, given we're back on an upward climb in new cases per day with over 4,000 new cases on Friday, the first day since late August we have gone above 4000 new cases per day. Given the incubation period of the virus (normally 10-14 days, or sooner) the spike is likely to continue the next couple of weeks at least.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Traffic is bad again in S Florida, Schools are back and that makes it worse.

Drove to the Suncoast last Wednesday the 14th I had to get off the Interstate (I-75) In N Ft Myers and continue on the back roads all the way to Indian Rocks Beach, came back home on Saturday AM and I took no chances as soon as I crossed the Skyway South I started heading East To Arcadia then s on Hwy 31 towards Immokaleee,,to finally get to the Tamiami Trail on Hwy 29 with ZERO Traffic headaches.

Pinellas County roads were buzy all over too.

Florida Roads are back to pre Pandemia Craziness

Old 10-19-2020, 08:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Traffic along US 98 in Destin this summer was worse than ever and combined with the ongoing road widening project made for epically awful driving conditions.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's worked out well, given we're back on an upward climb in new cases per day with over 4,000 new cases on Friday, the first day since late August we have gone above 4000 new cases per day. Given the incubation period of the virus (normally 10-14 days, or sooner) the spike is likely to continue the next couple of weeks at least.
kyle...cases mean nothing unless it's compared to how many people are tested..that goes up and down depending on how many people are tested

The percent of people tested that's positive....which stays around 4%....is all that matters

..even the percent is skewed though....because when FDH finds a hot spot....they will go in and test more people they think have been exposed...and they find more people that have been exposed...that can drive the percent up

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_pa...rts_latest.pdf

Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
kyle...cases mean nothing unless it's compared to how many people are tested..that goes up and down depending on how many people are tested

The percent of people tested that's positive....which stays around 4%....is all that matters

..even the percent is skewed though....because when FDH finds a hot spot....they will go in and test more people they think have been exposed...and they find more people that have been exposed...that can drive the percent up

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_pa...rts_latest.pdf
The positivity rate is well above 4% if looking to legit sources not cooking the numbers like the State of Florida has of late. The current moving 7 day average is right at 12%, with an upward tick of about 2% the past week.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...states/florida

Old 10-19-2020, 09:15 AM

40 posts, read 44,104 times
Traffic on 75 from Tampa south is pretty heavy - state road traffic all around Manatee, Sarasota, Lee etc is heavy -

Shopping center traffic is substantial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida