Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 07:29 AM

316 posts, read 301,740 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if this post should be under the Colleges and Universities forum but thought I'd ask here first.

My oldest child is considering a couple of small colleges in Florida (along with a few other states). My question is, what happens on college campuses during a hurricane event? Are the students required to evacuate regardless of category of storm? Does evacuation mean they are required to return to their home state? Are classes simply suspended for a few days but kids remain on campus? Is it strictly a case-by-case basis according to how close the school is to the coastal region?

Sorry for all the questions but we don't know anyone personally who has ever attended a FL institution and are curious about how major weather events are handled. I'm a bit concerned since it seems the schools he's interested in don't allow resident freshmen to have cars on campus and we have no family or friends living in the state.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 08:06 AM

16,866 posts, read 15,141,118 times
Campus closes for a few days.

Students may be required to evacuate, depending on their dorm/living situation. Most don't have to evacuate unless an extreme storm is approaching.

No, does not mean home state. Can evacuate anywhere, even within the same city, if you can find housing. Just might have to leave the dorm. Doesn't happen much at all.

Sometimes, yes, classes will be merely suspended for a few days and kids remain on campus.

Case-by-case, depending on location. Coastal Region is irrelevant. You can be in Orlando or Gainesville and still face closures/evacuations. All depends on type of storm, and what it's doing.

Question: Why not just live "off campus?" Plenty of options around most schools. Get a few roommates like you would in a dorm, and you're set to go.

That said, during the course of his college career, he may have to worry about one storm, if any at all. It doesn't happen that much, and even less so in the exact same location repeatedly.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 AM

Thank you, Arcenal352.

We hadn't thought about off-campus housing since he expressed an interest in living on campus for freshman year to get to know potential roommates first. I think we'll have to rethink that plan, though.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM

1,131 posts, read 384,544 times
college family member was asked to vacate the dorms for Irma from a state univ down hear Boca.....I don't know what she would have done had family not been in the state to take her in.....or if she were an international student (the school has many) - seems unfair if they don't work things out for the student with accommodations somehow.....I'm sure the college website has emergency contingency type guidance or perhaps call the admissions office, etc.....

Old 09-16-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Thank you, Arcenal352.

We hadn't thought about off-campus housing since he expressed an interest in living on campus for freshman year to get to know potential roommates first. I think we'll have to rethink that plan, though.
Off-campus doesn't always mean removed from the school setting. Lots of complexes around the schools are very much integrated into campus life, and he might not even feel much of a difference, aside from a few less restrictions, such as the car situation. (I believe the school I went to -- USF -- also had a similar rule, but I got to avoid that by obtaining my AA at a smaller school first.)

He will likely be fine in an on-campus dorm without a car, but your concern with evacuations is valid. He COULD always take a bus or Uber/Lyft to the airport, in such event, though.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM

786 posts, read 621,360 times
Depends on the University, projected path, and Category of the storm. Hurricanes are both unpredictable and vary in severity, proper response is a delicate balancing act. If we went to red alert every time the spaghetti models had a storm hitting Florida, we would have the shut down the whole state summer-fall.

I didn't stay on campus but during Dorian, but students had just moved into housing and many were not capable evacuating. Hotels filled up inland, and options were limited, this was a BIG storm. FIU had made arrangements to house emergency shelter in place for students in the more projected buildings, luckily the storm weakened greatly before landfall... oddly enough I had two professors that clearly stated a Hurricane did not affect the due date on the assignment... get your ***** on canvas and download your study guide and start reading.

Nobody university, administrator, .ect can force you to leave the state during the storm... in-fact panic evacuations are the least productive actions to take and often lead to more risks. There are evacuation areas like barrier islands and the keys you have to leave, but most Universities are within the safe zone.

Honestly, you don't have to worry about his safety during a Hurricanes in Florida Universities... I don't know of an University that doesn't have professors with disaster management background, Emergency Response and Disaster Management are pretty popular majors down here. Its probably safer than anything FEMA has made in preperation.

Also, you may be able to get a freshmen waiver to allow him access to a car. You, as the parent/legal guardian would have to go to or fill out a statement to Student Services/Student Life Office/Campus Admin. (You'll have to ask around for the exact dept., Sorry) and explain that you are out of state, he lacks a support system, and have concerns about his lack of access to transportation... another route for consideration, Florida public transportation is limited and poor if he works a night job and his shift ends, lets say 2 am (sever, bartender, ect.) he will require access to a personal vehicle. Its just a wildly popular belief that Freshmen life should remain on campus to maintain control and stability of a routine by limiting access to outside stimuli. Its not written in stone. Many universities offer ridesharing or buses, but they rarely operate 24-7 a working student would need. Just something to think about.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
Run from the water; hide from the wild. If you're talking the University of Tampa, whose campus is waterfront and 5-10 feet above sea level, then evacuation is a lot more likely than an inland school like Rollins near Orlando.

Post-Andrew building codes down here are really strict, and a dorm built in the last 25 years is actually going to be a safer place to shelter than a 40 year old hotel or 50 year old home of a friend or classmate.

The commuter school where my husband teaches is going to end up being closed Monday-Thursday this week for Hurricane Sally. No evacuation of the dorms or anything; it's just a messy situation in terms of flash floods and vegetation in roadways and the Sheriff's Department is asking people to avoid non-essential travel until the waters go down and debris is cleared.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:25 PM

I figured all the big schools have emergency plans in place but wasn't sure about the smaller colleges.

TakingItEasy...good idea about checking directly with the school. I couldn't find anything online when I did a quick look, hence my post, but I can certainly call to find out.

cfenn06...I wasn't aware of the car waiver for freshmen; that's incredibly helpful if he can get one. He was hoping to continue with a part-time job while at college. Guess we've just got some more research to do.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 09-16-2020, 02:43 PM

Now that I think back about it, USF also did have some sort of car waiver for Freshmen. I never needed that, but I do recall it being a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida