Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2020, 03:45 AM

505 posts, read 514,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
You think DeSantis would have won more or less?
Desantis would have won by much more. The panhandle is the most conservative part of the state. The hurricane messed up voting patterns during that election cycle. In fact, I suspect Nikki Fried would not be Agriculture Commissioner if it were not for Michael.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 07:37 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
barely, just barely. All the races the last 10 years Republicans have won have been razor thin. Look at DeSantis, Scott in the Senate and Rick Scott in 2010 and 2014.

The thing is luckily they're elected in non presidential years.

If Fl elected governors the same years as Presidents, Scott would not have became governor as democrat turnout is higher in presidential years.

Obama won FL both times, Clinton won in 96 and Trump just barely won. Our state house and senates, the democrats have slowly been chipping away at it.
Scott in the Senate is a federal race. And yes, the governorships have been close. While Democrats are making gains in the legislature, it has been solid red for 20 years. You are right that if our governors were elected in presidential years, the makeup of Tallahassee would be different.

Anyway, I think solving the Florida economic diversity issue is like the national debt and climate change. We'll just keep kicking the long-term nitty-gritty solutions that may hurt today down the road as long as things in the present keep getting us by. If Florida can get back its 100 million visitors (and 75 million to Orlando) in 2021, then it will be business as usual. As long as people who made a bunch of money in liberal states keep moving here later on, then we'll not spend much time thinking about those who are struggling to start and grow their careers here. [insert shrug shoulder emoji here].

Old 10-18-2020, 03:13 PM

545 posts, read 513,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Davis Island is not average in the Tampa market. You are downtown on an Island (man made). Of course you going to pay out the a--
The point of this thread is what is "becoming" of Florida -- hence comparing before and after

Not rocket science

Tampa home prices -- not too long ago -- were far more affordable. Davis Islands is as bad as L.A.

Davis Island speaks to the larger trend. Tampa is getting very expensive. You could be middle class and afford David Islands when I was younger, on the interior streets or in the condos, but now you have to be wealthy. The whole state is heading in that direction.

No bueno

Old 10-18-2020, 03:15 PM

545 posts, read 513,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Tampa =/= Davis Island
Fair enough, so name me a neighborhood in Tampa -- anywhere -- where someone of middle class income can afford a home and not be in a crack den

Old 10-18-2020, 04:48 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
Fair enough, so name me a neighborhood in Tampa -- anywhere -- where someone of middle class income can afford a home and not be in a crack den
No where in Tampa. It is all over priced slice.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:49 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
Desantis would have won by much more. The panhandle is the most conservative part of the state. The hurricane messed up voting patterns during that election cycle. In fact, I suspect Nikki Fried would not be Agriculture Commissioner if it were not for Michael.
I think Nikki Fried being an attractive woman helped her a bit too. Hate to say it but looks matter if a woman is running. A few younger idiots will vote for the hot chick and some women will because she's a woman. Versus Matt Caldwell who I voted for that who some low information voters would make him to be some hick redneck and not vote for him versus the chick.

If wealthy liberals and moderates from New England keep moving here I think eventually the state will become even more expensive and they will bring their higher cost liberal ways as well when they keep getting more control. Higher taxes, more liberal laws, and more fees for everything.

One thing I notice is FL at the stat level has some North East type influences in politics when it comes to regulations, fees and such. Some of the Republicans are from the Northeast and are RINOS in the capital.

The state of FL in general just seems to have too much red tape when compared to more conservative states like Missouri, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Georgia etc. Seems to be a fee, regulation and dept for everything.

Liberals drive the cost of living up.

Look at California. CA WAS at one time a fairly conservative, Republican state. Look at how housing, and taxes and such went up and up over the years in California as it became more and more liberal.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
There are still areas in Florida that offer affordable housing by today's standards. However commuting will be necessary.

FYI
Regarding those moving into Florida... and interesting point is that the VAST majority of those moving into Florida are registering republican. Recent republican news letter (RPOF) stated the dem-republican gap of registered voters has changed dramatically. The gap was 350K more registered dems in Florida, now that gap is 180K... with 1/5-1/4 of the state voters registered as independent.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:39 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
If wealthy liberals and moderates from New England keep moving here I think eventually the state will become even more expensive and they will bring their higher cost liberal ways as well when they keep getting more control. Higher taxes, more liberal laws, and more fees for everything.
But they sure make a ton of money in those liberal cities. And there seems to be more opportunity in those liberal cities. I guess come to Florida if you want to start a new hotel brand, restaurant, entertainment venue or other low wage employee enterprise that feeds off of the scraps of the 75 million visitors to the big three parks and the Orange County Convention Center.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
But they sure make a ton of money in those liberal cities. And there seems to be more opportunity in those liberal cities. I guess come to Florida if you want to start a new hotel brand, restaurant, entertainment venue or other low wage employee enterprise that feeds off of the scraps of the 75 million visitors to the big three parks and the Orange County Convention Center.
That's my other beef is restaurants here in FL. Here on the west coast the food is soooo inconsistent and it's mostly chains. Maybe in Tampa or Jax it's better, but I'm not impressed with fine dining down here. Seafood places are okay though, but I can't find good steaks and such. I'm not the only who complains about FL dining. I see that a lot here on CD forums. That and non chain places don't seem to stay in business long.

But in all seriousness about your post it does seem everything being built down here is either hotels MORE hotels or condos.

We did get Hertz a few years ago but then that went south and they're laying everyone off.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 PM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
That's my other beef is restaurants here in FL. Here on the west coast the food is soooo inconsistent and it's mostly chains. Maybe in Tampa or Jax it's better, but I'm not impressed with fine dining down here. Seafood places are okay though, but I can't find good steaks and such. I'm not the only who complains about FL dining. I see that a lot here on CD forums. That and non chain places don't seem to stay in business long.

But in all seriousness about your post it does seem everything being built down here is either hotels MORE hotels or condos.

We did get Hertz a few years ago but then that went south and they're laying everyone off.
Where in FL are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida