Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 05:25 AM

509 posts, read 517,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Here in my region people with degrees would be tripping over themselves to get a 50k a year job. Other than teaching, nursing, etc. not many jobs in this area pay that, and those professions in my area pay less than other areas of FL like Tampa for example.

You live in Citrus county which is more affordable. Southwest FL property cost quite a bit more. My county housing is/was fairly affordable, BUT the prices are shooting up now too as more New Englanders with more purchasing power are moving here driving the cost up. Two counties to my south 50k would be hard to live on if not married.

It must be nice living where you do and not having as many of those liberal New Yorkers and snobs. We get a lot of them here during season.

Don't take that as an insult forum members but I'm from Missouri and conservative and then all these liberals from the NE move down here and drive the cost of everything up and bring their liberal voting patterns here.
Where do you live in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 07:38 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
I’m more curious to know what these degrees are.
There are numerous jobs one can get with just an associates degree that pay over $20/hr to start.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:10 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
Southwest FL. The period of Nov thru early April it's like living in MA, NY, NJ in my town. All you see is Patriots gear around town as well! When the Blues were in the finals last year I heard it a lot from Boston fans. But LOLs I got the last laugh with that after game 7!

Associates degrees will not get you big money in my area. It's hard to find good nurses because pay is lower around here and the cost of living.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Southwest FL. The period of Nov thru early April it's like living in MA, NY, NJ in my town. All you see is Patriots gear around town as well! When the Blues were in the finals last year I heard it a lot from Boston fans. But LOLs I got the last laugh with that after game 7!

Associates degrees will not get you big money in my area. It's hard to find good nurses because pay is lower around here and the cost of living.
Examples:

https://www.salary.com/research/sala.../fort-myers-fl
https://www.indeed.com/career/engine...Fort-Myers--FL
https://www.indeed.com/career/cnc-pr...er/salaries/FL

All of these are achievable with, at MOST, an A.S. degree. The latter requires no degree at all.
I know several who work in these fields, in SWFL.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Examples:

https://www.salary.com/research/sala.../fort-myers-fl
https://www.indeed.com/career/engine...Fort-Myers--FL
https://www.indeed.com/career/cnc-pr...er/salaries/FL

All of these are achievable with, at MOST, an A.S. degree. The latter requires no degree at all.
I know several who work in these fields, in SWFL.
A CNC tech programmer should be making more than $25 an hour. I'd laugh if I was offered that. Maybe in a rural area where it's cheap to live like in KY, but here in SWFL I would not take that. You can make more than that in other states that have cheaper cost of living than FL.

A lot of our jobs down here add 15 percent pay increase if you're in another state.

I personally hate unions myself, but I will admit in the CNC, and engineering fields they make a lot more money that ones in a union.

Also, not everyone wants to be in the health field. My main beef is those jobs like radiology tech, nurse there is a cap on wages over a lifetime. I want to be a millionaire and I own a small business. Being a radiology tech, teacher, or likewise making 50k a year is okay money but not the level I want. I want to make 6 figures a year.

I like nice things, houses, etc so I want to make big money.

A lot of people are happy just to coast through life and make okay money. I want millions!

Old 10-07-2020, 03:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
A CNC tech programmer should be making more than $25 an hour. I'd laugh if I was offered that. Maybe in a rural area where it's cheap to live like in KY, but here in SWFL I would not take that. You can make more than that in other states that have cheaper cost of living than FL.

A lot of our jobs down here add 15 percent pay increase if you're in another state.

I personally hate unions myself, but I will admit in the CNC, and engineering fields they make a lot more money that ones in a union.

Also, not everyone wants to be in the health field. My main beef is those jobs like radiology tech, nurse there is a cap on wages over a lifetime. I want to be a millionaire and I own a small business. Being a radiology tech, teacher, or likewise making 50k a year is okay money but not the level I want. I want to make 6 figures a year.

A lot of people are happy just to coast through life and make okay money. I want millions!
Then plan on working hard for it. Wanting and getting are two different things.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:50 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:

You may find it's not quite what you expected when you get there (having millions). The only real benefit is the extra financial freedom.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Well that's great! Go for it! (Seriously. Why not?)

I agree with you that a lot of these jobs have a salary ceiling, and that it sucks.

But my reason for posting that was in response to the post I agreed with that stated these are "working class" wages -- not $12/hr. And these are jobs that are available virtually everywhere.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well that's great! Go for it! (Seriously. Why not?)

I agree with you that a lot of these jobs have a salary ceiling, and that it sucks.

But my reason for posting that was in response to the post I agreed with that stated these are "working class" wages -- not $12/hr. And these are jobs that are available virtually everywhere.
Even then there is still competition. There are only so many nursing jobs. Like for example a few years ago when the economy wasn't good you had everyone trying to get into nursing school, radiology, etc. Many colleges there was a waiting list to get in because the lack of spots open. A lot of working age adults who were laid off or underemployed went to nursing school. then you started hearing about how it was hard to get a job in that field because so many people were applying for those jobs.

The problem with Florida, at least the major metro areas and costal areas is that a lot of industry is tied to service. Even educated jobs in those fields like chefs, managers and such. When something like Covid hits, big hurricanes or a major recession like in 2008, Florida gets hit hard and you saw what happened in 2008 here in FL. FL and Nevada get hit the hardest.

Look how hard Covid hit FL. A lot of restaurants have shutdown and gone out of business including a few around me. Where are those chefs and managers going to work? Also, had a huge construction projected halted for at least the next year the employed a lot of skilled labor due to covid. Now it's a huge sized concrete shell sitting on the harbor as an eyesore.

This season here in FL will be interesting. I live in a snowbird, old people type town. I will say when I go out to eat for example even with the restrictions on capacity recently lifted the restaurants are still very dead around here. Even on weekends people are not eating out.

I was at Fishermans Village the other day and while this time of year it's pretty slow, however it was nearly totally dead! hardly anyone in the restaurants. In addition to tourist staying away you have older folks scared to eat out and such.

This season will be interesting to see how many businesses survive. If it's not a good season I'm not sure how many will be around. I know around here a lot of them seem to be struggling big time.

Florida needs more industry other than tourism.

Look at Texas. Big oil, lots of tech, agriculture, etc.

The big problem is that Florida jobs and wages do not match up with the housing and cost of living in many areas.

In Collier County they have problems trying to find nurses, teachers and such because the housing is so high. The County even considered building affordable housing for them.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
There's lots of "affordable" places to live in Florida. They just aren't near the beaches and theme parks and popular tourist hotspots. You'll need to look at the rural areas and exurbs outside the metropolitan areas. You may have to commute an hour to a major city for employment to have good job prospects as well as dirt cheap housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida