Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 06:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 3,752,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icutrauma1 View Post
ED/ICU Trauma RN for over 20 years. For years I would tell my elderly patients & visitors wash,wash, wash your hands or have someone go to store for you with any flu outbreak.

The CDC's positive case numbers do not reflect their own admission of 50% false positives. The CDC has still not come clean to reflect Corona(family of flu viruses) testing versus specific RNA Covid-19 testing. Which one are they doing. Now the WHO has announced that lockdowns are more dangerous than the virus because of the future starvation/depression/suicide to the population.

The virus is present. The black death epidemic of COVID-19 is not. Every patient I have cared for in the past year were either immunocompromised(child to adult) or had numerous comorbidities.

There are millions of people who live well into their 80s and 90s with underlying conditions, comorbidities or whatever you would like to call a medical diagnosis. Whether it's asthma, COPD, diabetes, high blood pressure or 1,000 other diseases, the fact remains that HAD THE PATIENT NOT BEEN INFECTED WITH COVID-19, he/she would likely still be alive (barring some other trauma).

There are thousands of people with an underlying condition (many with more than 1) who would STILL BE ALIVE TODAY and HAD BEEN LIVING AND MANAGING THEIR CONDITION JUST FINE until COVID came along. There's gazillions of Americans sitting at home right now with, say, diabetes and asthma, who are having fun, working, running marathons, picking apples, enjoying life and NOT DEAD. Are you actually telling us that the 60% of Americans who have an underlying health condition (or more) deserve to die when they get COVID?

As someone who has lost at least 6 people to COVID (friends, family, colleagues), it's sickening the lengths that some people will go to to dismiss this epidemic. I would like to know whether you would tell the families of my 6 dead loved ones that their son, mother or colleague deserved to die because they had comorbidities. "Hey, Sally, sorry but your mother had emphysema and high blood pressure. She deserved to die of COVID. Only the 100% perfectly healthy people deserve to stay living on God's earth. Sucks to be you."

And let's not forget the thousands of people, including children, who had ZERO comorbidities and have also died.

The last time we lost anywhere near this many Americans was WWII. We send more federal aid and help to cities stricken by hurricanes and tornadoes than we have for this pandemic (not to mention all the federal aid we send to other countries). The first thing we Floridians do when there's a hurricane is beg the federal government for federal aid, and the federal government is quick to dump millions of dollars into our own personal disaster. But for COVID, the federal government was MIA. No national testing/tracing plan, the states are on their own. Never mind that hurricanes kill a tiny fraction of Americans compared to what this virus has killed.

Shame on this government for doing nothing to stop this deeply horrific tragedy.

Last edited by sinatras; 10-18-2020 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 08:40 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,716,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
There are millions of people who live well into their 80s and 90s with underlying conditions, comorbidities or whatever you would like to call a medical diagnosis. Whether it's asthma, COPD, diabetes, high blood pressure or 1,000 other diseases, the fact remains that HAD THE PATIENT NOT BEEN INFECTED WITH COVID-19, he/she would likely still be alive (barring some other trauma).

There are thousands of people with an underlying condition (many with more than 1) who would STILL BE ALIVE TODAY and HAD BEEN LIVING AND MANAGING THEIR CONDITION JUST FINE until COVID came along. There's gazillions of Americans sitting at home right now with, say, diabetes and asthma, who are having fun, working, running marathons, picking apples, enjoying life and NOT DEAD. Are you actually telling us that the 60% of Americans who have an underlying health condition (or more) deserve to die when they get COVID?

As someone who has lost at least 6 people to COVID (friends, family, colleagues), it's sickening the lengths that some people will go to to dismiss this epidemic. I would like to know whether you would tell the families of my 6 dead loved ones that their son, mother or colleague deserved to die because they had comorbidities. "Hey, Sally, sorry but your mother had emphysema and high blood pressure. She deserved to die of COVID. Only the 100% perfectly healthy people deserve to stay living on God's earth. Sucks to be you."

And let's not forget the thousands of people, including children, who had ZERO comorbidities and have also died.

The last time we lost anywhere near this many Americans was WWII. We send more federal aid and help to cities stricken by hurricanes and tornadoes than we have for this pandemic (not to mention all the federal aid we send to other countries). The first thing we Floridians do when there's a hurricane is beg the federal government for federal aid, and the federal government is quick to dump millions of dollars into our own personal disaster. But for COVID, the federal government was MIA. No national testing/tracing plan, the states are on their own. Never mind that hurricanes kill a tiny fraction of Americans compared to what this virus has killed.

Shame on this government for doing nothing to stop this deeply horrific tragedy.
Oh my...welcome back!

I'm sorry for the impact that this has had on you and your family, friends, and colleagues.

I too have struggled with the rhetoric involving generally healthy people vs people who have conditions that can be exacerbated through a COVID infection. There's a very popular health influencer who I've followed for years whose content I've shared so many times on my Facebook account who I now feel conflicted about because of the change in his presentation when talking about the virus. Like, I'm okay with someone coming to a different conclusion about a topic than me, but when you start cussing, which he normally didn't do on his podcast, even if iTunes makes you bleep it out as well as accusing those who disagree of having a cognitive bias, my "beware" radar goes off. If my pastor starting teaching off the wall things and then guilt trips people who disagree with him, that's my signal to find another church.

Yes. Do what you need to do to be healthy. But we also have to do what we need to do to protect those who could be the most impacted by this virus, whether or not they are able to do something about their current health situation.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:49 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,540,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

The "government" can't stop an airborne virus and neither has any other country's government. There were plenty of viruses and diseases around long before Trump and he wasn't responsible for those either. Another thing Einstein, the next time a virus rises up out of China and a Democrat happens to be president, it won't be Trump's fault either. Seek therapy.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The "government" can't stop an airborne virus and neither has any other country's government. There were plenty of viruses and diseases around long before Trump and he wasn't responsible for those either. Another thing Einstein, the next time a virus rises up out of China and a Democrat happens to be president, it won't be Trump's fault either. Seek therapy.
If Hillary Clinton had been elected president and she had bungled the response to the coronavirus the way Trump did, I would be just as critical of her.

Somebody (I don't care which party) needs to get this virus under control in the USA. Trump has shown himself to be incapable. Until the virus is under control, nobody will feel comfortable flying in an airplane or eating in a restaurant, among many other activities, which will continue to wreak havoc on the economy (see photo of my friend Heather flying in a 98% empty plane over the weekend below).

If other countries can do it, why can't we? China has completely recovered economically from COVID-19.

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...om-coronavirus

Accepting failure is not the American way. Or perhaps you are saying that America's best days are behind her. Perhaps you are correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Does DeSantis want Floridians to die?-121620678_10158403628210935_2913229866635267473_n.jpg  

Last edited by sinatras; 10-19-2020 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-19-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Oh my...welcome back!

I'm sorry for the impact that this has had on you and your family, friends, and colleagues.

I too have struggled with the rhetoric involving generally healthy people vs people who have conditions that can be exacerbated through a COVID infection. There's a very popular health influencer who I've followed for years whose content I've shared so many times on my Facebook account who I now feel conflicted about because of the change in his presentation when talking about the virus. Like, I'm okay with someone coming to a different conclusion about a topic than me, but when you start cussing, which he normally didn't do on his podcast, even if iTunes makes you bleep it out as well as accusing those who disagree of having a cognitive bias, my "beware" radar goes off. If my pastor starting teaching off the wall things and then guilt trips people who disagree with him, that's my signal to find another church.

Yes. Do what you need to do to be healthy. But we also have to do what we need to do to protect those who could be the most impacted by this virus, whether or not they are able to do something about their current health situation.

60% of Americans have a chronic health condition. That's the MAJORITY of the country. "those who could be the most impacted by this virus" is actually the MAJORITY of the country.

When did we as Americans decide that 200,000 dead Americans is perfectly acceptable? I remember when, what, 3,000 people died on 9/11 and the country went absolutely bonkers bombing Iraq and putting "I support the troops" signs on their front lawns as if this was the worst thing to ever happen to America.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,653,883 times
Quote:
South Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand and Australia (except for Victoria) among others have done a most excellent job of shutting down the spread of Covid and have resumed normal life, often with no issues surrounding large scale gatherings.

To deny their success in covid containment is either dishonesty or ignorance.

Seek greater knowledge of the world.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:47 AM

40 posts, read 43,644 times
er, well.....comparing 9-11 to deaths from covid19 is non sequitur

3000 people were KILLED -

People "die" from all kinds of causes and accidents, including enormous numbers from "flu", accidents, cancer, homicides/suicides (check Chicago every weekend), weather events etc

Comparing "killings" to health deaths is pretty insane.

Chronic health conditions? well let's concentrate on WHICH health conditions can be dealt with successfully. Maybe too many people are fat....too many use drugs...too many with treatable diabetes....too many smoke...too many with high blood pressure..too many drunks etc

Covid19 ? heck very very few people who contract this Chinese flu, die. That's a fact.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 43,644 times
Quote:

True, and quite funny!

Old 10-19-2020, 09:55 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,653,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzyhippie View Post

Chronic health conditions? well let's concentrate on WHICH health conditions can be dealt with successfully. Maybe too many people are fat....too many use drugs...too many with treatable diabetes....too many smoke...too many with high blood pressure..too many drunks etc
63% of Americans over 60 have high blood pressure. It's one of those conditions with a big genetic component that even people who make very healthy lifestyle choices have to medicate to manage.

Why the hostility toward old people?

Old 10-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzyhippie View Post
er, well.....comparing 9-11 to deaths from covid19 is non sequitur

3000 people were KILLED -

People "die" from all kinds of causes and accidents, including enormous numbers from "flu", accidents, cancer, homicides/suicides (check Chicago every weekend), weather events etc

Comparing "killings" to health deaths is pretty insane.

Covid19 ? heck very very few people who contract this Chinese flu, die. That's a fact.

If it was your child or parent dropping dead from the Chinese flu, you wouldn't be so dismissive.
I hope your family stays healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida