Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 08:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,663,185 times

Advertisements

My county listed the criteria for the fist group of general vaccinations and while id is required to prove you're 65 or over, there is no language about a residency requirement. I'm going to be very angry if the snowbirds who are legally resident in another state are going to be allowed to just come down here and cut the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 09:23 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,415,429 times
yes

Old 12-30-2020, 10:12 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,762,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yep. They're currently offering vaccines to nursing home residents, healthcare workers, first line responders and have now opened it up to those over 65 and disabled, depending on availability, or so I understand it. My daughter, a nurse, got her first dose yesterday at work ( Moderna).

Goes a lot more smoothly with common sense at work instead of partisan politics or "woke" agendas.
Gov. DSantis is an idiot. Opening it up to people 65 and older, even snow birds, before giving it to front line workers?? Teachers/EMS/Fire/store employees... 75+ is fine, we all agree on that, but opening it up to ONLY 65+ and allowing visitors before actual residents who have been working the front lines of this while also forcing kids back to school and not giving it to teachers right away is just BS.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,118,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Twitter says otherwise. Search “Florida vaccine.” Of course, Twitter is not a scientific poll.

I’m not sure how things are going state vs state though. It could be the same everywhere.
You may have missed the /s at the end of my post. It's a disaster so far and seems Florida is among if not the worst. The number to call for an appointment to get the vaccination in my county doesn't work.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:21 AM

468 posts, read 454,635 times
The EverBrite site shows Sold Out for the vaccine in Sarasota and Manasota counties. I imagine it's that way everywhere. There is no queue to get in, either. I guess you have to just keep checking that website. I think it's going to be a few months before CVS and Walgreens will get any vaccine. At the rate this is going it is going to take a long while to get people vaccinated especially here in the Land of the Old.. Hopefully it will get better and not wind up like the shingles vaccine. I was on a waiting list here in the Venice area for months but finally gave up and went to Infdiana to get it. I walked right into a pharmacy up there and got that with no problem. I came back to Venice for the 2nd shot and that took awhile too. I agree with Beachmouse, too. Florida residents should have first crack at this. Non residents should go back to their home state.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:02 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 12 days ago)

14,468 posts, read 9,537,154 times
https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/cov...es-in-florida/

Old 12-31-2020, 10:52 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,718,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
You may have missed the /s at the end of my post. It's a disaster so far and seems Florida is among if not the worst. The number to call for an appointment to get the vaccination in my county doesn't work.
Ah. Sarcasm. I saw that but wasn’t sure of the meaning.

When I did the Twitter search, the only good news I saw was Fox News and niche conservative sites praising DeSantis for opting out of the vaccine for now, which is a noble move for which he should be applauded. The same can’t be said for Marco Rubio.

But it looks the like country as a whole is struggling with the rollout. Like last spring, it’s every state for itself.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:19 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,291,307 times
Default "Trial by ordeal" method to distribute COVID-19 vaccines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
How about how smoothly the vaccine rollout is going? Desantis has coordinated this with the precision of Sun Tsu. We'll all be vaccinated and the virus defeated within a few weeks at this rate. Well done, Governor, and thinks for caring about us so much. /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yep. They're currently offering vaccines to nursing home residents, healthcare workers, first line responders and have now opened it up to those over 65 and disabled, depending on availability, or so I understand it. My daughter, a nurse, got her first dose yesterday at work ( Moderna).

Goes a lot more smoothly with common sense at work instead of partisan politics or "woke" agendas.

Florida vaccine allocations and injection procedures are a mess, regardless of the "Big Lie" propaganda constantly offered by the DeSantis worship cult (DWC).

<<
Florida county has elderly residents camp out overnight to get Covid-19 vaccine

Trial by ordeal is a bad way to distribute lifesaving drugs.>>

https://www.vox.com/2020/12/29/22205...desanis-estero

<<According to the News-Press, a local Florida newspaper, hundreds of elderly people lined up at the vaccination site. Some of them arrived just two hours after the vaccination sites were announced. Many of these elderly vaccine seekers wrapped themselves in sleeping bags and blankets to endure chilly weather — on Sunday, the temperature in Estero dipped as low as 46 degrees, according to the Weather Channel — and camped out hoping that they’d arrived soon enough to be vaccinated....

There’s a robust debate among public health experts about how to allocate Covid-19 vaccines while the lifesaving serum is still rare. Some experts argue that the most vulnerable populations, which include the elderly, should be prioritized. Others argue that public-facing workers should be vaccinated first because those workers are most likely to interact with others and to spread the virus if they become infected.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), for what it’s worth, recommends combining these approaches. After vaccinating health care workers and residents of long-term care facilities, CDC guidelines call for people over the age of 75 and certain “frontline essential workers” to be given top priority.

Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, meanwhile, rejected the CDC’s guidance, announcing earlier this month that “our vaccines are going to be targeted for our elderly population,” meaning residents over the age of 65.>>

Do DWC members really believe that in the 21st century, long lines represent a smooth vaccine rollout? Do they believe that DeSantis' "unwoke" policies actually deserve admiration??? My brother who is over age 75 with serious health conditions and lives in Columbus, OH, was given a time specific vaccination slot at a mass vaccination center at the Ohio Expo Center for Jan. 4. He wouldn't be able to wait in an overnight line as required in much of Florida. Biden will implement mobile vaccination labs once he is President.

Why do DWC members believe that persons over 65, even if with no underlying health conditions, should be given priority over frontline "essential workers?" While the DeSantis administration has opened up vaccines to all persons over 65, apparently hundreds of thousands of healthcare workers, EMS and police officers, and residents of nursing homes and long-term healthcare facilities have NOT been vaccinated (see discussion below). Additionally, why wasn't priority given to persons over at 75, or even over at 70, and especially those with preexisting conditions that make individuals very vulnerable to severe COVID symptoms?

Those over 65 can shelter in place. Frontline essential workers are exposed to the virus their entire work day. They often are breadwinners for families and parents of children. Some have preexisting conditions that make them vulnerable for severe symptomatic reactions if infected. And infected, essential workers who are asymptomatic more likely will transmit the virus to others, especially the elderly and vulnerable living in their households.

As always, DeSantis focuses only on death rates, ignoring the health woes of "long" Covid survivors, often younger, will place on Florida's society, health resources, and economy in the months and years ahead.

DeSantis apparently has decided that vaccine distribution should be determined by what allocation most advantages DeSantis politically. E.g., DeSantis hopes seniors will remember that DeSantis prioritized them over essential workers more exposed to the virus. Essential workers often are lower wage workers and minorities less likely to vote for DeSantis.

And why can't Florida implement computerized reservation systems for vaccinations, as is taking place in other states???

These lines offer no social distancing. Seniors lining up to get the vaccine may increase their risk of infection, especially as two doses of the vaccines weeks apart are needed to complete inoculation.

Florida's first-come, first-vaccinated lines have been reported on the national news.

<<Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis begged for patience from anxious seniors waiting their turn to get inoculated against COVID-19, as confusion and frustration arose over the availability of the life-saving vaccine among some of the state's most vulnerable.

At vaccination sites across the state, seniors formed long lines — some camping out overnight with lawn chairs and blankets — hoping to gain immunity to fight the virus. Before the sun had even risen Wednesday morning, one southwest Florida county's vaccine supply for the day was already accounted for, prompting officials to turn down anyone else who was arriving.
Seniors in other parts of the state were frustrated by busy phone lines and websites that would no longer issue new vaccination appointments.>>

Here's the reality of the DeSantis distribution plan:

<<“Despite the state receiving 1,218,300 vaccine doses, only 15% of those have actually been administered,” she said in the letter. “The lack of preparation and progress on administering these critical, life-saving vaccines is inexcusable.”>>

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...ination-sites/

While the DeSantis administration claims that most front-line health care workers and first responders and persons over age 75 have been inoculated, as of yesterday total vaccines administered in Florida have been less than 200,000.

There are almost 500,000 registered healthcare workers in Florida and almost 400,000 residents of nursing homes and other long-term facilities. How many front-line police officers and EMS employees haven't been offered the vaccine?

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...irst-vaccines/

DeSantis owes Floridians a detailed, transparent account of target populations and the percentage of each targeted population that has been vaccinated.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-31-2020 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 12:44 PM

14,801 posts, read 11,948,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Gov. DSantis is an idiot. Opening it up to people 65 and older, even snow birds, before giving it to front line workers?? Teachers/EMS/Fire/store employees... 75+ is fine, we all agree on that, but opening it up to ONLY 65+ and allowing visitors before actual residents who have been working the front lines of this while also forcing kids back to school and not giving it to teachers right away is just BS.
As I understand it, in Florida the first available vaccines were given to nursing home, other congregational living residents, followed in close order to healthcare workers, and that is still in progress contingent on the availability of the vaccine. It's now been opened to the public age 65+, again, contingent on availability.

It's being given out by the public health department, in some areas first come first served, in other areas ( as in our county, soon to be adopted by other counties as better than free for all lines) by appointment only as vaccines are available. Personally, this makes sense to me

I tend to agree with the sentiment that with limited supplies of the vaccine, residents should be given preference over temporary visitors for the vaccine, as its true our "seasonal visitors" tend to overwhelm our facilities, services and everything else in the winters, often making those amenities unavailable, or less available to the year round residents. In fact, the question did come up about requiring proof of residence for the vaccine, but the answer was no, since the federal government is paying for the vaccine, it can't be refused to people who don't live in the county, or state where it is given. Much as I tend to agree with that, I'm sure there will be issues over that if an increasing number of visitors jump the line and take most of the available vaccine so locals can't get it, but that will have to be addressed when it occurs.

In the meantime, our local MSM news media has reported a smooth rollout of the covid vaccine administration. Any limitations at this point are mostly due to limited availability of the vaccine, and fine points of distribution to be worked out. Both of these are expected to improve as time goes by. It's been, what, two, three weeks at most since the vaccines received their approval for distribution by the FDA?

I find the apparently requisite ( and mindless) bashing of our governor more amusing than anything else. Especially when it comes from those who praise as "true leaders" the governors/ politicians in blue states who have needlessly delayed, or even compromised the distribution of the vaccines their states have received by endless dithering over who should receive it first to ensure racial "equity" while the stuff sits in freezers and inches towards its expiration date. Seems they can't get their acts together over plans for distribution and blame the Trump administration for not doing it all for them. Speaking of idiots..... seems their time could have been better spent planning for the distribution instead of working so hard to discredit the vaccines over any association its development and testing had to do with "Bad Orange Man".....

Old 01-01-2021, 10:58 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,762,196 times
I dont care about red or blue. I care about when the CDC lays out a plan and an idiot says "No, I'm going to do it my way" (and that way really actually does steal doses from the people who LIVE in his state.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida