Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2020, 07:00 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I’m not mad but as long as the minimum wage is $15 as it will be, against your wishes I am in fact quite happy.
If you get that this is "against my wishes," you are clearly mistaken. I do not so much care about it, as it will not affect me, but I am concerned about small businesses, which include "local lube shops." They exist, and they employ a ton of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 07:05 AM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If you get that this is "against my wishes," you are clearly mistaken. I do not so much care about it, as it will not affect me, but I am concerned about small businesses, which include "local lube shops." They exist, and they employ a ton of people.
“I do not care so care much about it”

Writes thread and 15 pages about it

Okay then.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
“I do not care so care much about it”

Writes thread and 15 pages about it

Okay then.
Internet forum, used to engage in discussions.
I asked a question, and expressed my concerns.

What are you here for? Just to spew lies and brag that you don't own a "cheap Kia?"

Old 11-12-2020, 07:09 AM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Internet forum, used to engage in discussions.
I asked a question, and expressed my concerns.
But then you said you don’t care about the topic. Which is it? It can’t be both. Now for the backpedaling....

Old 11-12-2020, 07:13 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
I’m not mad but as long as the minimum wage is $15 as it will be, against your wishes I am in fact quite happy.
Until ya go to Mc D's and have to pay $8 for a buger ham.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
But then you said you don’t care about the topic. Which is it? It can’t be both. Now for the backpedaling....
Didn't say I don't care about the topic. I don't care whether or not it goes to $15/hr. It doesn't affect me. I don't own a business, nor am I making minimum wage.
Reading is not your forte is it?

Old 11-12-2020, 07:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Didn't say I don't care about the topic. I don't care whether or not it goes to $15/hr. It doesn't affect me. I don't own a business, nor am I making minimum wage.
Reading is not your forte is it?
Lol. Arcenal, this is why I've had that clown on Ignore for quite some time. Not sure he's ever written anything of substance.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I tend to read the passage of the initiative as Tallahassee has had 20 years to address concerns that housing costs and the broader cost of living have been going up here a lot faster than wages have but they just said 'we're letting the free market handle this' and a large number of people were not happy with the result of what happened in the free market.

There are actually ways of encouraging the development of more workforce and low income senior housing that do not result in the creation of a 21st century Cabrini Green. (My history teacher father used to say that urban planners should be forced to take more history classes because one of the more obvious lessons of 19th century American history is that it's a Really Bad Idea to just stack poor people on top of each other in tenement slums) But interest in the state in doing that has been decidedly lacking so it's really not surprising the vote went the way that it did.

Lesson that should be learned- refusing to significantly address what everyone sees as a problem will sometimes lead to other ways of approaching the problem that are a lot more difficult to work with than if there had been meaningful progress on the concern 10-15 years earlier.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I tend to read the passage of the initiative as Tallahassee has had 20 years to address concerns that housing costs and the broader cost of living have been going up here a lot faster than wages have but they just said 'we're letting the free market handle this' and a large number of people were not happy with the result of what happened in the free market.

There are actually ways of encouraging the development of more workforce and low income senior housing that do not result in the creation of a 21st century Cabrini Green. (My history teacher father used to say that urban planners should be forced to take more history classes because one of the more obvious lessons of 19th century American history is that it's a Really Bad Idea to just stack poor people on top of each other in tenement slums) But interest in the state in doing that has been decidedly lacking so it's really not surprising the vote went the way that it did.

Lesson that should be learned- refusing to significantly address what everyone sees as a problem will sometimes lead to other ways of approaching the problem that are a lot more difficult to work with than if there had been meaningful progress on the concern 10-15 years earlier.
One of the problems is that many unions have a clause that if the minimum wage goes up, every employee in the union gets an increase in their pay to match it. This also drives costs up. I do not know if this will impact FL or not, but at times it includes State employees as well. It isn't just the minimum wage earner.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Minimum wage didn't start to help the kid fresh out of high school. That's not why it exists. It was created to provide a LIVING WAGE for low-rank labor. It actually did provide a living wage, when it was first implemented. It didn't make anyone wealthy, but it provided subsistence. Inflation has increased since then, and so has minimum wage. Except in some states, because the FEDERAL minimum wage hasn't changed in over 10 years - even though inflation has gone up since then.

Here's the history of Florida's minimum wage, going back only to 2000:

2000-2004 $5.15/hour (same as federal at the time)
2005 $6.15/hour
2006 $6.40/hour
2007 $6.67/hour
2008 $6.79/hour
2009 $7.21/hour
2009 (later in the year) - 2011 $7.25/hour (same as federal at the time)
2011 (later in the year) $7.31/hour
2012 $7.67/hour
2013 $7.79/hour
2014 $7.93/hour
2015 - 2016 $8.05/hour
2017 $8.10/hour
2018 $8.25/hour
2019 $8.46/hour
2020 $8.56/hour

Meanwhile, the cost of living has gone up significantly higher in ALL parts of the state. A loaf of bread is more. Rents are more. Utilities are more. Cable is more. Cell phones cost more (even the crappy ones). Landline isn't even available in some parts of the state, and the only reliable method of communication is either cable internet wifi or cellular service - which costs MUCH more than POTS landline phone service. Groceries are more, cars cost more, health care costs more (unless you are super-poverty-stricken and qualify for Medicaid, OR low-income and qualify for ACA subsidies - everyone else pays more for health CARE - not just insurance, whether they can afford it or not).

The studies show that in the state of Florida, $10.00 is NOT a living wage. It's not even a living wage in the rural areas. It's mostly not a living wage, because most $10/hour jobs are NOT full time, and do NOT come with health insurance. So people earning $10/hour are typically only taking home around $200/week, and have to spend some of that on health insurance - or high cost health expenses if they can't afford insurance.

Try living on $800/month, supporting your stay-home wife and child (since you can't afford daycare while mom works for a living), paying rent, utilities, food, and transportation to and from work.

You can't do it. It's not possible. People who have TWO part time jobs are spending an average of 60 hours total, between the time they leave the house til the time they return for the night, for around $320/week after taxes. That nets to around $5.50/hour. And with that $320/week they still have to pay for all those expenses, at $1300/month, with a wife and child who STILL can't afford daycare so she is a stay at home mom.

Why would ANYONE worth hiring, want to live in Florida, when they can work in another state for more? There are lots of entry-level jobs in Florida. All paying that minimum wage, none of which are full time, and most of which come with any benefits of any kind, and they aren't even entitled to a break during their shift.

Furthermore, when you work a part time job in retail, you must have open availability. If the boss schedules you to work on Wednesday between 2-6 next week, you have to tell you second job that you need that day off. Most people CANNOT work two part-time jobs, at least in retail, for that reason. Both employers deserve an employee who can work when the employer schedules them. It's a conflict of scheduling otherwise.

The hardest working people in this state are earning the lowest wages in this state. Personally I feel it should be reversed. The CEOs should be on profit-sharing and commissions ONLY - while their employees should be enjoying vacations in the Carribean.
Ppl always discuss “brain drain” when discussing workers leaving the state. But a lot of low skilled workers flee that state as well for higher wages in other Southern states like NC. Makes sense, since rent and inflation aren’t as off balanced in states like NC. You get more bang for your buck in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida