Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 11:50 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times

Advertisements

I do not know, maybe combination of residents disliking the crowds, and that despite money spent, not exactly an even spread for everyone, in that many people are inconvenienced for the economic benefit of a few. They did not ban cruise ships, just limited the number per day and the size of the cruise ship by number of passengers. KW also ten years ago voted against having larger cruise ships dock there.

There is a point where not everything is economics, not a cost-benefit analysis, and quality of life many people go to KW for, offers itself a value, a value that is harmed by having thousands of cruise passengers flood the island all at once.

This has been an ongoing debate for years in KW. If I recall correctly, and if even correct, cruise ship traffic has increased greatly over the last decade or two, versus the prior decades. I think now there are more port calls per years than ten years combined from when cruises first started there, so the impact is being felt more so then 20, 30 years ago, let alone 50 years since they first started going there.

I remember the excitement from residents when it was looking like Cuba might open up for cruise traffic, and many people were hoping cruise lines would start going there instead of KW.

All in all, I think it is a crowd thing. Sort of like I could increase my income if I had a bunch of roommates, but I rather suffer economically than dealing with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 02:16 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
All in all, I think it is a crowd thing. Sort of like I could increase my income if I had a bunch of roommates, but I rather suffer economically than dealing with that.
I'm not sure this is a good analogy.

It would be more like your neighbors voting to ban your roommates, thus forcing you to suffer economically.

The people being negatively economically affected by the ban are likely not the ones who voted for it!

As I've said, in a selfish way, I love the ban. As a South Floridian, Key West is accessible to me. We drive there. And cruises dumping their passengers is annoying. But I also don't own bars, tour companies, etc. in Key West.

Ultimately, I have mixed feelings on it. I don't like tyranny by the majority. I think it's horrible for the businesses and lives that will be ruined because those who don't rely on the cruise business are selfish. Doesn't sit well with me.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:45 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
It's sort of a two fer.....

When the cruise ships started....they put a whole lot of businesses out of business

...then businesses put up around Mallory that catered to the ship tourists

What they are aiming for now is a higher class ship tourist....the smaller high end cruises

but the main thing is covid and cruise ships...Key West has a small hosp....Fishermen's in Marathon is under construction....Baptist in Tavernier just sends them to Kendall

...a covid outbreak in Key West would be devastating and destroy the tourist business for a long time

Old 11-09-2020, 03:14 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
this is all about money, if you don't want cruisers there, that's fine, then don't allow them based on size.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:50 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I’m bummed because I wanted start taking short, last minute cruises out of Jacksonville, and I especially wanted to go to Key West. I guess we’ll need to drive now.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:03 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Me personally, contrary to my wife's likes...Never really enjoyed cruising that much at all, If I never take another one in what's left for me in this earth I am a happy Camper without the Crowds, and the Boring Cruises.

I have to admit that stopping in Key West, minus the drive there...(2wice for Us) was a lot of FUN !!! Once 2 of my brothers in law and I went in to Sloppy Joe's and we almost lost the Ship, we had to take a Taxi to make it there pronto.

A lot better that having to be driving after an alcohol Binge.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:10 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
This is something that has been needed for yrs., and I am very happy for the KW community that did just fine before the Cruise Ships and greed took over KW. We have watched the slow decline of what once was the quirky, one human family KW to "Disney South" where suddenly this once Adult spot has turned into an amusement park for children & teens. When they start putting water parks in that will surely be the demise of Key West & I hope the Locals vote to not allow this to happen.

The greed in the last yrs. have made it almost impossible for locals to rent an apartment without a cap on the amt. landlords can charge & they are able to raise rents drastically without any recourse. I am glad the people are speaking out and for themselves and their town. kelsie

Old 11-13-2020, 03:44 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
This is something that has been needed for yrs., and I am very happy for the KW community that did just fine before the Cruise Ships and greed took over KW. We have watched the slow decline of what once was the quirky, one human family KW to "Disney South" where suddenly this once Adult spot has turned into an amusement park for children & teens. When they start putting water parks in that will surely be the demise of Key West & I hope the Locals vote to not allow this to happen.

The greed in the last yrs. have made it almost impossible for locals to rent an apartment without a cap on the amt. landlords can charge & they are able to raise rents drastically without any recourse. I am glad the people are speaking out and for themselves and their town. kelsie

I was thinking the same thing, all those damn cruisers jacking up the apartment prices!!

Old 12-31-2020, 07:29 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,980 times
I remember driving down to KW a couple of years ago and thinking what a legit, chill place this is. Then the Carnival Cruise docked later in the day, and it all went downhill pretty fast from there. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida