Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,525,659 times

Advertisements

I'm early FL transplant (moved down in 1979 when I was 10) and grew up there. I left after college in 1992 for Boston where I've been ever since. I've visited off and on, and caught glimpses of change.

So I'm here with the family this Christmas vacation and decided to take them up to Disney World. Yes, I know WORST possible time to go (school vacation time). Although I never dreamed that Disney would be a see of humanity. It was BEYOND crowded. Anyway fast-pass made that somewhat doable and the kids still had fun. Next time (I guess) off-peak time will be more doable (I hope).

Anyway, driving up from Miami to Disney, I took the Turnpike. Where the heck did all these tolls come from? Yes, I know I'm out of the loop for 14 years but WOW. It felt like every 15 miles was a toll? Living in Boston I thought it couldn't get any worse than the MASS-PIKE. FL-PIKE beats the MASS-PIKE tolls by about 3 fold. It's really to the point it's silly. I left Boston primarily for the "Taxachusetts" as aspects of the Commonwealth (I live in NC now). I am actually looking forward to flying back to NC tommorow

Please tell me, what are the tolls paying for, or at least what is the party line (schools, etc.). It can't be the roads (which actually seem okay to me). It seems like such a "because we can" type of thing.

Please enlighten me

Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,116,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I'm early FL transplant (moved down in 1979 when I was 10) and grew up there. I left after college in 1992 for Boston where I've been ever since. I've visited off and on, and caught glimpses of change.

So I'm here with the family this Christmas vacation and decided to take them up to Disney World. Yes, I know WORST possible time to go (school vacation time). Although I never dreamed that Disney would be a see of humanity. It was BEYOND crowded. Anyway fast-pass made that somewhat doable and the kids still had fun. Next time (I guess) off-peak time will be more doable (I hope).

Anyway, driving up from Miami to Disney, I took the Turnpike. Where the heck did all these tolls come from? Yes, I know I'm out of the loop for 14 years but WOW. It felt like every 15 miles was a toll? Living in Boston I thought it couldn't get any worse than the MASS-PIKE. FL-PIKE beats the MASS-PIKE tolls by about 3 fold. It's really to the point it's silly. I left Boston primarily for the "Taxachusetts" as aspects of the Commonwealth (I live in NC now). I am actually looking forward to flying back to NC tommorow

Please tell me, what are the tolls paying for, or at least what is the party line (schools, etc.). It can't be the roads (which actually seem okay to me). It seems like such a "because we can" type of thing.

Please enlighten me

check the following site, provides all the info: http://www.floridasturnpike.com/about_faqs.cfm

Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,683,109 times
It started in the late 90's, they put tolls on every on and off ramp, as well as doubling the main line toll plazas. Then a couple of years ago they raised tolls by 25 cents. Remember that in the early 70's tolls were .10 and now they are 10X higher. Another example of Florida greed. Hey the people keep comming so why not?

Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,525,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
check the following site, provides all the info: http://www.floridasturnpike.com/about_faqs.cfm
Thanks for the FAQ. Actually it's impressive (the wording). Essentially the line that says "tolls are the best way to directly collect money [for the roads] from the people using it...." In other words they'll stay up forever . Unlike MA where the tolls were to pay for the roads and then be taken down (like 30 years ago)....

Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,196,032 times
Yeah, my husband says that the tolls for the east/west, now called the 408 were supposed to be suspended when the road was paid for. In the 25 years I've lived here the main toll I pay has increased from .25 to .75 and now they are talking about another increase. Guess that road is never gonna get paid for,huh? Most of the time I don't use the toll roads, but DH almost has to as he works in Seminole County.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,123,967 times
That's nothing. It costs $6 to go across the Sanibel toll road. It's the only way into Sanibel and Captiva from Fort Myers, so it costs $12 to visit Sanibel!

Yikes!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:46 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,116,276 times
Lightbulb Future Construction Projects

Florida's Turnpike plans continuous improvements of the roadway, toll plazas and service plazas and is actively pursuing several exciting new projects designed to alleviate traffic congestion and add enjoyment to your travels, including:

TOLL 528 - THE MARTIN ANDERSEN BEACHLINE EXPRESSWAY WIDENING
In September 2006, Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise will begin a $110 million project, which encompasses the widening of Toll 528 between Interstate 4 and McCoy Road in Orange County, approximately 8.2 miles.

The project consists of milling, resurfacing and widening the Beachline Expressway from four to six lanes between Interstate 4 (Milepost 0) and McCoy Road (Milepost 8.0). Stormwater drainage improvements will also be included as part of this project. This project will be constructed under two separate construction contracts.

The eastern section from the Turnpike (Milepost 4.3) to McCoy Road will be constructed in Phase I. Improvements include widening the existing bridge structures at US 441, Landstreet Road, CSX Railroad, CSX Railroad Taft Yard, Orange Avenue and McCoy Road. A new bridge will be also constructed for the access ramp over the CSX Railroad.

This project also includes major toll plaza renovations, including the construction of an at-speed toll gantry serving SunPass and E-Pass users, and the addition of more cash lanes.

The western section from Interstate 4 to the Turnpike will be constructed in Phase II. The improvements include construction of new bridges over Shingle Creek, widening the existing bridge structures at International Drive, Orangewood Boulevard and John Young Parkway and two new bridges for the on/off ramps at John Young Parkway.

Phase I is scheduled to be complete in November 2008. Phase II is scheduled to begin construction in spring 2008 and be complete in 2011.

TOLL 417 - THE SEMINOLE EXPRESSWAY WIDENING

Click here to find out about the study now underway for future widening of the Seminole ExpresswaySouthern Conncector Map

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/construction_future.cfm

GOLDEN GLADES TANDEM-TRUCK STAGING LOT

A new tandem-truck staging lot will be constructed at the Golden Glades Interchange Park ’N Ride, just off the I-95 Connector Road. When completed, the current tandem staging operation at the Golden Glades toll plaza will relocate to the new facility. Construction is set to begin in January 2007, and is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2007. Approximate cost: $1.2 million.

NORTHWEST 74TH STREET INTERCHANGE and OKEECHOBEE TOLL PLAZA EXPRESS LANES (MILEPOST 32)

A new Turnpike interchange will be constructed at Northwest 74th Street, in conjunction with the conversion of the Okeechobee mainline toll plaza into a SunPass express-lane plaza.
The toll plaza conversion will allow motorists with SunPass to travel at highway speeds while their toll is collected via SunPass equipment overhead ... no gates, no tollbooths, no need to slowdown. Cash-paying motorists will need to pull off the highway onto ramps with traditional tollbooths and then merge back onto the travel lanes.
The new interchange at Northwest 74th Street will have SunPass-only (no cash) toll plazas on the northbound exit and southbound entrance ramps. Motorists entering the northbound Turnpike and southbound motorists exiting the Turnpike at Northwest 74th Street will have the option to pay cash at the Okeechobee mainline toll plaza.
Construction is set to begin in January 2007, and is scheduled for completion in late 2009. Approximate cost: $63.4 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida