Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:34 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,222 times

Advertisements

If you need cheap affordable land with the emphasis on cheap, check out the areas west of Gainesville. Chiefland, Williston, Trenton in Levy and Gilchrist County. They are rural but close to major medical, hospitals and shopping in Gainesville. They are also near some beautiful state parks and natural springs for recreation.

Manatee Springs State Park is very close Chiefland. Chiefland is actually a decent sized town with a Super-Walmart. Major medical and shopping is 45 minutes away in Gainesville. It's nothing fancy but if all you care about is being someplace where you don't have to worry about shoveling snow with basic necessities, it'll do cheaply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 05:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
How much cold are you willing to endure? That will determine how far north in Florida you can go. Here in the panhandle our winters are cool, but pleasant.. you can get by with jeans and a light jacket, some days no jacket.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 12-01-2020 at 05:56 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 10:03 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How much cold are you willing to endure? That will determine how far north in Florida you can go. Here in the panhandle our winters are cool, but pleasant.. you can get by with jeans and a light jacket, some days no jacket.
I am originally from Northern Minnesota. Some good choices so far in this thread, Sebring, Frostproof, Brookesville and outside Gainesville sound good. Gainesville sounds like a nice town. Seems you could have some fun nights out on a pub crawl there.

Anywhere in the panhandle that is affordable that you specifically recommend? If colder means less insects i am all for it.

I have considered even Southern Georgia, Alabama and even Mississippi. They didn’t seem much different in valuation than much of Florida which surprised me so I started to concentrate on FL.

So far I think i prefer to be closer to the gulf side. So i have been able to reduce my search area from the Alabama border to the area around Brookesville and everything in between. It’s a start thats doable in one trip.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I am originally from Northern Minnesota. Some good choices so far in this thread, Sebring, Frostproof, Brookesville and outside Gainesville sound good. Gainesville sounds like a nice town. Seems you could have some fun nights out on a pub crawl there.

Anywhere in the panhandle that is affordable that you specifically recommend? If colder means less insects i am all for it.

I have considered even Southern Georgia, Alabama and even Mississippi. They didn’t seem much different in valuation than much of Florida which surprised me so I started to concentrate on FL.

So far I think i prefer to be closer to the gulf side. So i have been able to reduce my search area from the Alabama border to the area around Brookesville and everything in between. It’s a start thats doable in one trip.
Well, I live just a mile from the state line, on the Alabama side. I own property in both states, and AL is a little cheaper for property taxes, and a little less strict as far as things like permits, fees, etc.. Just as an example, in FL they want you to pull a permit to do something as simple as replace a water heater, not so in AL.

You might want to look over around Florala, which sits right on the state line, it's a quaint little town with a big lake right in the center.

https://www.cityofflorala.com/PhotoGallery.aspx

I'm just a little bit farther west in Escambia County, and there's plenty of affordable land over this way.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 12-01-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 01:56 PM

119 posts, read 122,260 times
Quote:
I don’t know if it matters to you or not, but that stretch of coastline has practically no beach. Beaches don’t start until Anclote Key.

It’s fine if you want to go out on a boat into the gulf, but if you enjoy walking on the beach or swimming you need to be further south. I just want to make sure you’re aware of that since it may come as a surprise that a large stretch of FL doesn’t have a beach.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gatsby View Post
I don’t know if it matters to you or not, but that stretch of coastline has practically no beach. Beaches don’t start until Anclote Key.

It’s fine if you want to go out on a boat into the gulf, but if you enjoy walking on the beach or swimming you need to be further south. I just want to make sure you’re aware of that since it may come as a surprise that a large stretch of FL doesn’t have a beach.
Oh I guess I would cross from Alabama somewhere around Pensacola and go down. I noticed though in the areas I have mentioned it looks like coastal swamp or mud flats.I like the beach and don’t want people to get me wrong. I just feel on my budget i don’t expect to be too close to a great sand beach. Beaches also mean crowded.

I am into boating so any water that works for that is great. As another poster pointed out being near a desirable beach or piece of water is good for resale. To that purposes I don’t want to end up in Swamphole Florida where humidity is higher than population. However I understand my limited budget and don’t want to up it right now in such uncertain times. So I might just settle on something and sell it later. I love improving raw land and have done it many times in the past.

Whatever I end up with has to be somehow unique whether it is a stream, big trees, land formation or whatever. Pretty open like that. There are great suggestions so far and also thank you for your heads up.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:26 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
Look near Tallahassee.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:49 AM

Is Tallahassee itself a nice town?

Old 12-03-2020, 10:21 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Oh I guess I would cross from Alabama somewhere around Pensacola and go down. I noticed though in the areas I have mentioned it looks like coastal swamp or mud flats.I like the beach and don’t want people to get me wrong. I just feel on my budget i don’t expect to be too close to a great sand beach. Beaches also mean crowded.

I am into boating so any water that works for that is great. As another poster pointed out being near a desirable beach or piece of water is good for resale. To that purposes I don’t want to end up in Swamphole Florida where humidity is higher than population. However I understand my limited budget and don’t want to up it right now in such uncertain times. So I might just settle on something and sell it later. I love improving raw land and have done it many times in the past.

Whatever I end up with has to be somehow unique whether it is a stream, big trees, land formation or whatever. Pretty open like that. There are great suggestions so far and also thank you for your heads up.
As an FYI that's actually not true here in FL. Perhaps in a state with limited beach access, however there are many beaches in FL that don't wind up as crowded, either through the fact it's not a touristy area to start with or as part of a long uninterrupted stretch of beach access.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:25 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Quote:
Is Tallahassee itself a nice town?
College town and state capitol. I've visited a few times and it seemed nice but maybe not all the amenities that you would find in a larger city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida