Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 06:37 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
How do you like getting behind the Canadians?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...et-their-doses
If you read the article you linked, it looks as though the Canadians here are getting in line with everyone else.

Then there is the little fact that many, if not most of the Canadians in line for those vaccines own homes in Florida, which makes them at least part time residents. They pay property taxes, just like the full time residents- most likely without any discounts like the homestead exemptions like those with their primary residents in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 08:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If you read the article you linked, it looks as though the Canadians here are getting in line with everyone else.

Then there is the little fact that many, if not most of the Canadians in line for those vaccines own homes in Florida, which makes them at least part time residents. They pay property taxes, just like the full time residents- most likely without any discounts like the homestead exemptions like those with their primary residents in Florida.
So what you're saying is that foreigners should be allowed to buy their way to earlier vaccines while American citizens die?

Got it. It's quite clear.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Yeah, maybe they contribute money, but they can't vote. We'll remember DeSantis in two years when he has to run again. All those out of staters and Canadians aren't going to do him any good then.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:25 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
It's not a matter of "you snooze you lose" for someone under 65 that's not a front line healthcare worker. A 59 year old teacher cannot get on any list to get the vaccine unless some kind of exception for serious comorbidities. The Florida Governor has signed an executive order about the priority group. People under 65 are not allowed to get the vaccine unless health worker or severe comorbidities.
Biden also said that that states should be prioritizing those that are 65 and older. Are all the people on this thread bashing DeSantis going to start bashing Biden?

Old 01-16-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
So my sister who is forced back to work as a teacher to pay her bills (when they could have just stayed remote if the gov. didn't say no)...should have to wait even longer because she's in her late 50's ? So that people on vacation who aren't US residents...can come get it?
Yes, because someone else’s sister who is over the age of 65 has a greater chance of more significant health risks, including higher chances of death. I am close to the age of your sister and am accept the fact that there are people at higher risk versus me and that I will need to wait my turn.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
So my sister who is forced back to work as a teacher to pay her bills (when they could have just stayed remote if the gov. didn't say no)...should have to wait even longer because she's in her late 50's ? So that people on vacation who aren't US residents...can come get it?
Further to the last post, I just came across this study in the Pediatric Journal.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...48090.full.pdf

Note the conclusion:

CONCLUSIONS: In the first 9 weeks of in-person instruction in NC schools, we found extremely limited within-school secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2, as determined by contact tracing.

You will note that it is a peer reviewed article and the researchers are from Duke and UNC Chapel Hill.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Further to the last post, I just came across this study in the Pediatric Journal.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...48090.full.pdf

Note the conclusion:

CONCLUSIONS: In the first 9 weeks of in-person instruction in NC schools, we found extremely limited within-school secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2, as determined by contact tracing.

You will note that it is a peer reviewed article and the researchers are from Duke and UNC Chapel Hill.
I didn't read this study, but even with other articles that I did read about school spread being less than feared, no one mentions that many schools started at 30%-50% capacity, and they can enforce mask wearing and social distancing more effectively than businesses can with adults.

I wonder what role that has played in the outcome of these studies and even anecdotal observations about school spread? Unless the research observes schools that are at least 80%+ of their Winter 2019 capacity, can we really draw definitive conclusions about COVID spread there or the lack thereof?

Old 01-16-2021, 09:17 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default DeSantis vaccination priorities inexplicable?

See post 359 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...ns-die-36.html

Old 01-16-2021, 09:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
They are ALL screwed up and the millions of people brainwashed into believing the vaccine RUSH.

https://off-guardian.org/2021/01/03/...accine-trials/
You should know that this source is quite biased. They do a very good job of disguising their bias but sometimes it becomes obvious as in the last paragraph of the article you linked;

"In the final analysis, you have to ask yourself a simple question: Do you feel safer taking an untested vaccine, or risking getting a virus with a survival rate of over 99%?"

Old 01-16-2021, 10:11 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So what you're saying is that foreigners should be allowed to buy their way to earlier vaccines while American citizens die?

Got it. It's quite clear.
Boy, that's some kind of pretzel logic you have going there, LOL.

But if you will just look past the chip on your shoulder, you might consider that those "foreigners"`have owned their winter residences in Florida, paid taxes on those residences for quite some time now, years, decades in some cases. In other words, well before the public ever heard of covid19, so your accusation that they are buying their places in line for the vaccines is kind of on the ridiculous side.

As a very long time resident of Florida (45 yrs) , I know I do my share of biotching about the onslaught of snowbirds during season, and the difficulty in accessing services, medical care, and entertainment venues due to the demands of the sheer numbers of snowbirds for these items, and I have to assume covid19 vaccines would fall under this category as well. But I have never, nor will I ever, question the rights of these visitors to have these items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida