Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 06:52 PM

786 posts, read 627,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Cfenn doesn’t get the concept of looking at per capita numbers. By his logic, then it is okay to compare New York State to Vermont.

LOL, its OK to compare Florida to Israel though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Florida was not ground zero when this started and had an advantage of having it play out in NY and WA before it became a problem here. DeSantis did more to hurt Floridians than help them. Lucky for him we weren't in the the opening scene.
...not true

Florida had a major spike in July/Aug....long after the "played out" in NY/WA.....that was almost as high as NY's initial spike.....and WA had no spike at all > https://healthcostinstitute.org/hcci...demic-by-state

In July DeSantis issued a series of executive orders....protecting the vulnerable > https://www.flgov.com/covid-19/

....again...NY/WA had the advantage....Florida is the state with the largest population over 65....that makes Florida the state with the largest vulnerable population

there are 26 states...with a younger population....that did a lot worse than Florida....that's right at half this country

Old 03-08-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
YIKES this thread blew up in the last 24-36 hours! And between maybe 3-4 people!

Question: If visitors come here and get COVID and go back home, does that get counted as a Florida case or a NY, MI, TX, etc. case/hospitalization/death? I remember the story about a group of professionals from NYC who spent a weekend partying in Miami last spring when this all started. Were those Florida cases or NYC cases? (NYC is apparently its own jurisdiction in CDC reporting.)

There is a report saying that the Super Bowl was NOT a super spreader event, so kudos to them. However, I believe that is limited to *official* Super Bowl events and not the random crows at bars, Ybor City, etc.

Remember that other states include up to age 20 in their pediatric data. When DeSantis tweeted his "I told you so" graph about schools, the data from Florida's stopped at age 14/15 compared to the states in the graph that went up to age 20.

Anyway, are all of these attacks between everyone worth it? Personally, I don't mind seniors getting vaccinated. However, I feel like there is a implication by some that that people aren't allowed to consider how things could have been done differently.

Remember, not all seniors are gated community, well off and financially stable people who made a ton of money in other states. Regular people who spent their careers here with the Florida discount on their income live here too. It sucks that it appears some where able to use their privilege to get vaccines quicker, but that's just kind of always how things will be.

I think the angst about vaccine schedules came from people who have concerns about themselves who wanted more clarity on when they would have the opportunity to be vaccinated, and the response to those concerns seemed to be "When we get to it so shut up....SeniorsFirst(â„¢)." I'm sure plenty of those people have living parents and maybe grandparents and were grateful if they were able to get the vaccine. More clarity, even if adjustments had to made in the process based on supply or demand, would have been beneficial.

boy,
Sorry, that was mostly me. I was bored and set him off yesterday and kept rattling the cage today. His rants and everyone else is wrong attitude makes it very entertaining and helped me kill my day off. I've repeated over and over how nothing of substance was being exchanged but those responses were too funny to resist. I'm sorry for winding him up and trashing up the thread I'll stop.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:23 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
it looked the other way around

Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
I signed up 6 wks ago on my county health dept portal here in Central Fl. I signed up on the State portal, too, and registered for 3 adjoining counties. I called Publix, WalMart, Winn Dixie. Nothing. Couldn't get an appt in any way.

I am 77 yrs old, still work and have several co-morbidities. During storms in the West, no vaccines were being sent.

My DIL in Jacksonville's, daughter, was involved in the scheduling for that area. They always have a few vaccines that were not used for people not showing up and would be thrown out. They would call people to come in and get a shot, if they could. Most all the counties do that. I was willing to drive 300 miles to get one of those shots. No shame there.

Fortunately, I was finally contacted after 6 weeks, by a volunteer Finance worker in a hospital here locally, to schedule an appt, from my health dept signup from a few weeks back. Not enough vaccine, not enough people to schedule appts when there was, couldn't get through on the phone set up sites.

I voted for DeSantis. I bad mouthed him pretty badly regarding some of the distribution BS because I felt he was sending it to high donor sites. I still do. And, I probably will vote for him again but I recognized the politics being played. He is not a bad governor, just a politician.

It has gotten better. Temporary sites are being set up around my vastly underserved county for underserved populations. Thank God.

Our appt and shot was administered by volunteers and nurses from a large, local hospital in our county. My RN daughter worked there for several years before relocating to NC and stays in touch with poeple still there. Quite a few will not take the vaccine. My daughter in NC has not opted to not take the vaccine and she is an ED nurse, working nothing but Covid for over a year.

Good luck to all of you still seeking your vaccine. I am very grateful for mine and I know so many of you were/are as anxious as I was.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:32 AM

1,067 posts, read 624,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
LOL, its OK to compare Florida to Israel though.
I never compared Florida to Israel, so stop lying. Israel is being watched by the medical community to look at outcomes. They have a small enough population to where they can vaccinate the majority of people in a short period of time. What we have seen is a major drop in hospitalizations and deaths in those vaccinated vs those not vaccinated. Therefore, vaccinate those most at risk first in order to slow the rate of deaths and hospitalizations.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:03 AM

1,067 posts, read 624,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
boy,
Sorry, that was mostly me. I was bored and set him off yesterday and kept rattling the cage today. His rants and everyone else is wrong attitude makes it very entertaining and helped me kill my day off. I've repeated over and over how nothing of substance was being exchanged but those responses were too funny to resist. I'm sorry for winding him up and trashing up the thread I'll stop.
So you admit that you were here just to stir the pot, not have an honest discussion based on facts and admitting to trashing the thread. Meanwhile you throw around the word troll.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:11 AM

13 posts, read 8,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I never compared Florida to Israel, so stop lying. Israel is being watched by the medical community to look at outcomes. They have a small enough population to where they can vaccinate the majority of people in a short period of time. What we have seen is a major drop in hospitalizations and deaths in those vaccinated vs those not vaccinated. Therefore, vaccinate those most at risk first in order to slow the rate of deaths and hospitalizations.
Hes just another NY liberal know it all knuckle dragger that wants us to hunker down in a bubble and live off the government teat.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:16 AM

13 posts, read 8,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Florida was not ground zero when this started and had an advantage of having it play out in NY and WA before it became a problem here. DeSantis did more to hurt Floridians than help them. Lucky for him we weren't in the the opening scene.
Because Cuomo did so much to help NY. While people were dying he was playing Slick Willy and the Intern.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray75 View Post
Hes just another NY liberal know it all knuckle dragger that wants us to hunker down in a bubble and live off the government teat.

You mean Snowflake right???
Knuckle dragger feels a bit out of place... just trying to help you get it right, that's what us know-it-all types do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida