Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 08:23 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times

Advertisements

Yes, to echo everyone else, a pool or the ocean. Springs where a lot of people swim are usually OK, I suppose, but I still wouldn’t risk it. There was an alligator attack at Wekiwa Springs some years ago (although I think the attackee was swimming a little bit out of the main area).

I have lived in Florida so long, I now find it really weird seeing people swim in rivers and lakes in other states. When we were in Austen, TX recently, I had to keep reminding myself it’s really was OK to wade across rivers, that really there were no gators here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 08:32 PM

87 posts, read 58,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
The Ocean, not likely to run into snakes or gators.

Sharks are common along Florida coasts there though.
So are stingrays.
And the Florida crocodile or American crocodile.
It swims in salt water and they go out into the ocean.

Last edited by Shark tooth necklace; 08-17-2021 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A pool. I would't step foot in a springs. Too much nature.

I have friends that go to Ginnie Springs to float. Eewwwww, no.
But the water in the springs doesn’t have chlorine in it.
It’s fresh and clean.
And the pools are limited scenery wise.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Eww, no not a lake in Florida.

In a pool or in the ocean.
Or in a spring.
Springs are the nicest, cleanest and the prettiest option.
They aren’t polluted like the ocean and they aren’t full of chemicals like pools.
Also that’s what the question you are responding to is asking about.
They aren’t interested in swimming in lakes.

Last edited by Shark tooth necklace; 08-17-2021 at 09:04 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Growing up, I lived all up and down the East coast... Virginia, MA, CT, etc. But I moved to Florida as soon as I turned 18 and have been here for over 20 years. There is not a single body of water in Florida, other than a pool or the ocean, that I would ever consider swimming in.

Gators are no joke... you can fake em out and catch them when they're sunning and on land and you catch them off guard... but when you're in their territory in the water... they can snatch you and drag you under.
Stay out of the murky bayou like parts and swim in the cool crystal clear springs.
Even if one were to get confused and venture into the cold water you would see it coming miles away.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Yes, to echo everyone else, a pool or the ocean. Springs where a lot of people swim are usually OK, I suppose, but I still wouldn’t risk it. There was an alligator attack at Wekiwa Springs some years ago (although I think the attackee was swimming a little bit out of the main area).

I have lived in Florida so long, I now find it really weird seeing people swim in rivers and lakes in other states. When we were in Austen, TX recently, I had to keep reminding myself it’s really was OK to wade across rivers, that really there were no gators here.
Swimming out of the main area.
As in the area that gators sometimes go to bc the water isn’t as cold.
How many people have been bitten by sharks at Florida beaches since that one incident in the “swim at your own risk” area of wekiwa?
Lots.
So I don’t get why people are frivolous enough to think that they are less likely to get bitten or attacked by something in the ocean.
Or why they would tell others that it’s less of a risk to swim in the ocean.

Reminding yourself there were no gators?
It sounds like you didn’t know when you got there.
It’s common knowledge that there are alligators in Texas. So you thought they could be there too.
You seem a little dramatic.

Last edited by Shark tooth necklace; 08-17-2021 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
As a Florida native, I have spent my entire life swimming in every body of water in this state. There is no body of water in Florida that is free from snakes, gators, crocs other than a chlorinated pool. And even in pools, people are finding gators, snakes, etc. all the time. Now there are pythons, iguanas and nile monitors. There have been gators found swimming in beaches, rivers, springs, lakes, canals. There have been crocs found swimming in beaches, canals, springs. And snakes are absolutely everywhere. And don't forget about the coyotes. They are excellent swimmers.

Yesterday someone on Next Door posted video of coyotes swimming in a Tampa canal.

Here's video from last year.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2020/01/1...coyotes-water/
Oh my gosh you are scared that a coyote might come swimming towards you while you are in the water to try to attack you?
And you don’t think that you would be able to get away from it if there was a chance in heck that would happen?
Lol!
Dogs can swim but not that fast.
I’m sorry but your entire thing was just so hysterically funny.
Such a drama queen you are.
I’m just sad that you ended it with the coyotes instead of including something about the evil rhesus monkeys coming to get everyone too. They also swim well.
So cute.
Coyotes swimming sounds cute too.
Like when wolves swim.

Last edited by Shark tooth necklace; 08-17-2021 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-18-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Yep....sharing the space with hungry predators bigger than you is not easy. It's a good thing that Shark attacks on the Gulf are not common, the Atlantic Coast off Florida has always news of that happening, and it doesn't really take a big Shark to take a big chunk off your body.
I know totally. A blue fish (much smaller then a shark but with teeth just as sharp) bit my knee once. I still have little teeth mark scars on my knee.
If it hadn’t bit into bone it would have totally taken a chunk out of my leg.
And it wasn’t even a shark or in Florida.
After it bit me I went right back in the water.
Salt water heals wounds quicker and it had chomped me.

Oh and these animals of concern are not “hungry predators” as far as we are concerned bc we are not on their menu.
So don’t dress up like one of their favorite meals and you’ll be fine.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:17 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Looks like Florida has some incredible swimming holes:

https://www.ucf.edu/news/best-natura...ntral-florida/

https://www.narcity.com/en-us/travel...see-the-bottom

However, as out-of-staters, my husband and I are concerned about alligators and other creatures. Coming across those doesn’t sound appealing at all!

Which of those swimming holes are pretty safe from man (and woman) eating creatures?
Best place is the Jersey shore.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Best place is the Jersey shore.
Nah, the beautiful mountain lakes of North Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida