Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 10:57 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times

Advertisements

This looks to be fairly hilarious. Check out the trailer!
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/some_kind_of_heaven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 11:02 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
Hope it's on Netflix.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:41 AM

422 posts, read 281,947 times
Looks like a fun place

They did make a movie and I forgot the title but it took place in Boynton Beach at different gated communities. It was hilarious. I don't recall if it was on Netflix or on Amazon Prime. It is a must see for Florida entertainment.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:30 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
This isn't a comedy, and it's not hilarious in an "irony" kind of way either. It's a poignant docu-drama about the lives of four people who "have issues," and all make the Villages their home.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:17 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Hope it's on Netflix.
It looks like it is a $7.00 digital rental for now.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:23 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,214 times
I live in The Villages. That film is just another BS story on The Villages. It's a classy place here.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:28 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I live in The Villages. That film is just another BS story on The Villages. It's a classy place here.
That's exactly what it looks like in the trailer. A bogus hit piece. Yeah, they found 4 people who are unhappy and have personal issue, so market it as "The Villages"

Old 01-16-2021, 03:43 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
It's not a story about the Villages. It's a story about 4 people who live in the Villages. If you have trouble distinguishing the two concepts, then the trouble is with you, not the movie.

The movie was great. I live in the Villages, I enjoy the lifestyle and the people living in my neighborhood. But everyone has problems in their lives, especially as we get older. Some problems are more profound than others. Some are the "same old, same old." Personally I'd love to see how Reggie is doing. She seems to be on a path to self-acceptance instead of relying on a mate for her happiness.

Loneliness can be a serious problem if you're older, have no kids, or your kids are living far away, you become widowed or divorced, and you're surrounded by people who appear to be happy all the time. You start to wonder what's wrong with you, and that compounds the depression on top of the loneliness. This movie reminds us that yes - the Villages is a wonderful place to live. But we won't be "cured" of any problems in our lives by living in it.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:50 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,268,923 times
^ excellent post....and spot on

Old 01-16-2021, 07:48 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's not a story about the Villages. It's a story about 4 people who live in the Villages. If you have trouble distinguishing the two concepts, then the trouble is with you, not the movie.

The movie was great. I live in the Villages, I enjoy the lifestyle and the people living in my neighborhood. But everyone has problems in their lives, especially as we get older. Some problems are more profound than others. Some are the "same old, same old." Personally I'd love to see how Reggie is doing. She seems to be on a path to self-acceptance instead of relying on a mate for her happiness.

Loneliness can be a serious problem if you're older, have no kids, or your kids are living far away, you become widowed or divorced, and you're surrounded by people who appear to be happy all the time. You start to wonder what's wrong with you, and that compounds the depression on top of the loneliness. This movie reminds us that yes - the Villages is a wonderful place to live. But we won't be "cured" of any problems in our lives by living in it.

It's MARKETED as a hit piece against The Villages. Heck, it's right in the name of the film, it's how their PR machine is promoting it, etc. It's absolutely being sold as a hit piece against The Villages.

Do you understand what it means when you call The Villages a "marketing fantasy"...

"With SOME KIND OF HEAVEN, first-time feature director Lance Oppenheim cracks the manicured facade of The Villages, America’s largest retirement community – a massive, self-contained utopia located in Central Florida.

A Floridian garden of earthly delights and its discontents, Some Kind of Heaven explores life inside the manicured lawns and meticulously crafted suburban bliss offered by The Villages, the self-described “Disneyworld for Retirees.” Every day is supposed to be a good one for the 120,000+ senior citizens of The Villages: Whether residents are interested in synchronized swimming or cheerleading, tai chi or golf cart parades, this large community of healthy retirees offers a utopian vision of a (retired) American Dream: wide, safe streets, picture-perfect landscaping, and countless activities all in service of their residents’ golden years. While most residents have bought into the community’s blissful optimism, we meet a small group of residents – a married couple, a widow and a bachelor – living on the margins of the marketing fantasy, struggling to find footing inside the dream"

Last edited by BNBR; 01-16-2021 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala