U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 12:25 PM

25 posts, read 5,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
This is easy. You want to look at Lake Placid. Specifically Lake June-in-Winter. It's a large sandy bottom lake that even has a sandbar. Outstanding for boating, great town with everything you need. Virtually every house already has an excellent dock for jet skiis and boats, but you can build it even bigger if you want. Sebring has a great regional airport. You can easily get a killer house for well under your budget, right on the lake.

I'm not sure what type of plane you have, but Lake Placid does have a small airport on the south side of Lake June with a 4,000 foot runway, Placid Lakes Airport. You'd probably want your own hangar there, however. Sebring airport has a full service FBO and only 15 - 20 minutes drive.
David, this is also very good advice. Lake Placid is very rural, but Lake June In Winter is killer.

If I were in your shoes, I would strongly consider Sarasota/Bradenton. You'll have access to the intracoastal as well as the Gulf. Anna Maria Island is amazing, though a bit crowded these days.

Best of luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefNotTheCops View Post
Winter Haven is the mid-point between Tampa and Orlando. It's not Orlando. Orlando sucks. Winter Haven is very nice, though a bit congested, but if you're into lake boating, it's probably the #1 spot in the State. there's a reason it's called the Chain of Lakes.
Why is it called the chain of lakes? Able to access different lakes?

Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 715 times
Quote:
David, this is also very good advice. Lake Placid is very rural, but Lake June In Winter is killer.

If I were in your shoes, I would strongly consider Sarasota/Bradenton. You'll have access to the intracoastal as well as the Gulf. Anna Maria Island is amazing, though a bit crowded these days.

Best of luck.
I like the idea of the lake, but I want to Atleast tour something that has access to the coast and see if it’s something We would like. The other thing that is a concern will be if getting insurance is going to be difficult

Old 02-02-2021, 01:46 PM

5,803 posts, read 9,429,963 times
Default Delray Beach - Lake Ida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
If someone wants a "vacation home" in FL, wouldn't one assume they would wanna be near the beach? Not in swampy, ugly Orlando?

OP, I would suggest Naples, Sarasota, Boca Raton.
Also Delray Beach by Lake Ida

Old 02-02-2021, 03:07 PM

25 posts, read 5,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland.david View Post
Why is it called the chain of lakes? Able to access different lakes?
Yes, the lakes are virtually all connected with man-made canals, so you can go from lake to lake by boat. There's a huge boating community there that boat to one another's homes', to the restaurants, etc.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 715 times
Quote:
Yes, the lakes are virtually all connected with man-made canals, so you can go from lake to lake by boat. There's a huge boating community there that boat to one another's homes', to the restaurants, etc.
Something to consider, I think the first thing that needs to be decided is what exactly we want, lake or the ocean. If it’s lake, needs to be big lakes. So that is something I’ll have to add to the list and start researching.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 74 times
Recently moved from California to Sebring live on Lakeview Dr on Lake Jackson... Beautiful area unbelievable reasonable housing with lake front .. Love it here...

Old 02-02-2021, 04:53 PM

2,723 posts, read 1,880,722 times
Quote:
Something to consider, I think the first thing that needs to be decided is what exactly we want, lake or the ocean. If it’s lake, needs to be big lakes. So that is something I’ll have to add to the list and start researching.
You should look at both.

Keep in mind that lakes are not all created equal in Florida. Many are more swampy, too many alligators, etc. The one I recommended, Lake June, I recommended for a reason. It's a phenomenal recreational lake and it's quite large. Excellent for wake boarding, swimming, fishing, general boating, etc. It's a clear water lake with white sand bottom and even has a popular sand bar hangout on the weekends. Even the similar Lake Placid just south of it is nowhere near as good. Lake June is a gem, word is getting out and the area is starting to grow quite a bit.

It's about as big of a lake as you'll find, it's also the furthest south, so stays warmer, and in one of the most charming towns in the country. 2 hour drive to Miami, 1.5 to Disney World. It's also just over an hour drive to Sarasota/beaches if you wanted to go to the ocean.

If you would prefer salt water, I think you should be looking in the St. Pete area. Get a place on the water, it's well within your budget as well.

Also not sure if you considered it, but with a plane, you'll have excellent access and opportunity to fly down to Key West or Marathon for day/weekend trips as well as The Bahamas. For that reason, and the hotter weather, I'd be looking as far south as you can and avoid north Florida.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of the lake, but I want to Atleast tour something that has access to the coast and see if it’s something We would like. The other thing that is a concern will be if getting insurance is going to be difficult
Insurance near the ocean is substantially more expensive. Insurance inland, even water front on the lakes is super inexpensive.

Another thought. Have you considered maybe a condo or home in the Keys? Marathon has an outstanding airport.

Something like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M57257-04742

Old 02-02-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Best of luck.
I'm not sure I'd consider it "very rural" - that sounds backwoods. Lake Placid has a downtown, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. It's not all that rural at all. It's also just 20 minutes from Sebring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida