Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM

13 posts, read 114,106 times

Advertisements

Flabbergasted is not a word I normally use but I can't think of a better description for the way I feel right now. I just moved from Poinciana to Davenport. In Poinciana, I had Toho water and my water bills were about $40 a month. I just got my first bill from Polk County Utilities and it is literally over 3 times what I'm used to paying. I paid all the fees upfront to get connected so this should just be actual usage charges. My old house had one more bathroom than my current house and one extra occupant than I do now, so to have a $135 water bill is shocking.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to explain the bill to me because I don't understand it. I already replaced the showers with low flow ones and will see what else I can do. I just wanted others using Polk county utilities to chime in and let me know if this is the norm or if maybe there's a mistake?

thanks
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai34759 View Post
Flabbergasted is not a word I normally use but I can't think of a better description for the way I feel right now. I just moved from Poinciana to Davenport. In Poinciana, I had Toho water and my water bills were about $40 a month. I just got my first bill from Polk County Utilities and it is literally over 3 times what I'm used to paying. I paid all the fees upfront to get connected so this should just be actual usage charges. My old house had one more bathroom than my current house and one extra occupant than I do now, so to have a $135 water bill is shocking.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to explain the bill to me because I don't understand it. I already replaced the showers with low flow ones and will see what else I can do. I just wanted others using Polk county utilities to chime in and let me know if this is the norm or if maybe there's a mistake?

thanks
K
There may be administrative or other charges since it's your first bill. We used to live in Lakeland, and I don't remember having any high bills like that. If there aren't extra charges on your first bill, you may have a leak somewhere, check your water meter at the street and see if it is moving when all water is shut off.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 19,557 times
I have a home in providence fl, but I live in the uk Im never there in fact havn't been there for almost a year, my neighbour takes care of the yard for me at a cost, my water bill is always about $150 a month, as far as i know the only useage is watering the very small garden, so why so high???? any thoughts

Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillarmour View Post
I have a home in providence fl, but I live in the uk Im never there in fact havn't been there for almost a year, my neighbour takes care of the yard for me at a cost, my water bill is always about $150 a month, as far as i know the only useage is watering the very small garden, so why so high???? any thoughts
Someone is probably using your water.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 19,109 times
Default water bill in Polk county

My sentiments exactly. We moved here in May and I thought there was going to be a problem since they asked for a 240. deposit. Our 1st bill for 2 people was 80. This month's new bill is 115.92!!! What can be done??? Where is our Gov't.???????????? No one else is using it and we do not have a leak. The water tastes bad and we were still buying bottled water. We have a new frig. w/ a filter and I started using that. I guess I'll go back to buying bottled water. I guess I could stand out in the rain and shower.(ha,ha). What a shame. Yeah!!!! Someone needs to put this on T.V. There used to be a shame on you show.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 18,689 times
That's because your water is not owned by the gov't. It is privatized. This is something we should not allow. Check out the link [url=http://youtu.be/B1a3tjqQiBI]Blue Gold : World Water Wars (Official Full Length Film) - YouTube[/url] ...write back at [EMAIL="bills6116@hotmail"]bills6116@hotmail[/EMAIL] and tell me what you think.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 18,706 times
We are having the same problem. I wrote a letter to the Governor and got a response saying I should contact Polk Utilities directly and didn't receive any support on my claim. Polk County Utilities finds any way possible to get around the charges. They are just like Wal-Mart, no one can get them.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
POLK COUNTY UTILITIES RESIDENTIAL WATER, WASTEWATER AND RECLAIMED WATER RATES ~ EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2010

Polk County Utilites rates are approved by the Polk County Board of County Commissioners. Residential and Commercial water rates consist of a base charge and inclining usage rates. Reclaimed water rates consist of a per 1,000 gallon usage charge only. Residential sewer rates consist of a base charge plus a capped per 1,000 gallon usage charge. Commercial sewer rates consist of a base charge plus a per 1,000 gallon usage charge.
RESIDENTIAL WATER RATES

Effective Date 10/1/2013 Base Charge $9.23 Usage Block Ranges (in thousands of gallons) 0 - 3 $1.75 4 - 10 $2.33 11 - 20 $4.63 21 - 30 $6.96 31 - 40 $9.27 Over 40 $16.24 RESIDENTIAL WASTEWATER RATES

Effective Date 10/1/2013 Base Charge $34.42 Usage per thousand gallons up to 7,000 gallons $6.17

Old 11-21-2013, 05:06 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,309 times
We live in Indian River County. There are two adults living in our house. We have a 14' x 26' pool that we periodically have to "top off" during dry spells, but our monthly water/sewage bill has stayed under $40 a month ever since we moved here five months ago.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 17,668 times
Well I am going to have to top all of you! We have lived in Polk county since 1995. Somewhere between 2004 and 2006 our water bill doubled. It went from about $40.00 per month to $80.00. We called and got the runaround. They said the rates went up and when I inquired about the bill actually doubling, they said yes, the rates doubled. We were stuck. So we adjusted and our average bill since that time has been about $85 - $95 per month. This past May (2014) I got a water bill and it was $310! I immediately called the water company because I knew it had to be a mistake. They said no, the bill was correct. We argued, then I remembered a new meter had been installed the previous month, so I inquired about the new meter and asked if perhaps it was faulty. They came out and checked the meter - no problems, it was working correctly. My husband and I called several times and spoke with several different people, managers included. We had people come out, no leaks. They did an audit and determined the bill is correct. They stated their new meters are more "efficient" and they read all water usage. Apparently the old meters weren't nearly as accurate. Bottom line - my water bill has tripled. So now instead of a $85 - $95 a month bill, our average is $300. This makes me want to move out of Polk county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida