U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 04:38 PM

42,946 posts, read 17,651,915 times

Advertisements

If true DeSantis has a rather large problem, I recall a wealthy gated community near Miami receiving testing far ahead of others last year. The question is did they follow the health authority guidelines.

Quote:
For the last several weeks, DeSantis has been on the defensive for steering the state’s vaccine distribution to pop-up sites in wealthy communities with ties to some of his most generous donors.

DeSantis’ campaign reports show that since December the governor has raised a total of $3.9 million and, on Feb. 25, one resident of Ocean Reef, Bruce Rauner, the former Republican governor of Illinois and former chairman of the Chicago-based private equity firm GTCR, wrote a $250,000 check.

The Herald story criticized by the governor also reported that in the month of February, when DeSantis publicly steered special pop-up vaccination sites to select communities, his political committee raised $2.7 million, more than any other month since he first ran for governor in 2018.

Last month, a high-end community that Republican fundraiser Pat Neal helped develop was chosen by DeSantis to host a pop-up vaccination clinic near Bradenton. Only people from two ZIP codes were eligible to receive the vaccine at the Lakewood Ranch site, and names were chosen by Manatee County Commissioner Vanessa Baugh, who included herself on her vaccine selection list.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...e249690363.htm

Last edited by Goodnight; 03-04-2021 at 05:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 12:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,584,565 times
Apparently if you're white and or have money you are not entitled to testing or vaccine. That's what I get from this story. So racist.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:27 PM

235 posts, read 124,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Apparently if you're white and or have money you are not entitled to testing or vaccine. That's what I get from this story. So racist.
Exactly.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:16 PM

1,804 posts, read 2,686,960 times
What I get from this thread is that a Democrat who lives in New York wants to make people in Sarasota hate the Republican Florida governor, based on a hit piece published in a Democrat Miami newspaper.

The retirement communities are where the vaccine should be directed first. This is scientifically obvious.

Also obvious: retirement communities have far less poverty. Poor people don't move to Florida to retire.

There is no connection between the two.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:54 PM

15,988 posts, read 33,867,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
What I get from this thread is that a Democrat who lives in New York wants to make people in Sarasota hate the Republican Florida governor, based on a hit piece published in a Democrat Miami newspaper.

The retirement communities are where the vaccine should be directed first. This is scientifically obvious.

Also obvious: retirement communities have far less poverty. Poor people don't move to Florida to retire.

+1

Old 03-10-2021, 02:01 PM

11,461 posts, read 10,252,858 times
My husband and I are far from rich but we are white.

We've been tested and tested and tested. It is free and everywhere. My husband has had the vaccine. Horrors! He is of age. I am not so I have not been vaccinated.

DeSantis is coming out of this like a hero. Our death rate is the middle of the pack considering we are the third most populous state in the country with the highest number of seniors.

Tourism is thriving.

I for one am glad to at least see Rubio, Scott, and DeSantis providing a united front when the White House threatened to shut down Florida for tourism.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:09 PM

8,480 posts, read 2,531,398 times
LOL...you are 100% right on all counts....why people even read the Miami Herald is beyond me

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post

Old 03-10-2021, 03:07 PM

3,833 posts, read 1,089,144 times
I don't read it either, but sometimes , or most times people for one reason or another will NEVER line up with a particular News Source.

Human Nature. We All Don't Agree and that is more prevalent day after day in this Society of Ours.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:15 PM

9,441 posts, read 18,042,966 times
If there isn't a problem, let him show all the records because he's got nothing to hide.

My experience in a pretty heavily Republican area is that it's hard to find free testing here. This seems to be the decision of the county rather than something at the state level. Vaccine distribution here seems to be going far quicker than in Southwest Florida (another Republican area where there are still a lot of complaints about vaccine access) But then this area skews heavily military and the VA seems to have a different and more streamlined vaccine pipeline for their system compared to the civilian side and that could account for the Okaloosa County Health Department vaccine sites not filling up when it was only 65& up and health care workers

Old 03-10-2021, 04:37 PM

11,870 posts, read 3,621,932 times
Dems are scared to death of DeSantis running for President in 2024, so they ordered a media hit on him, and this is the beginnig of it. It will continue relentlessy until 2024's election. It has nothing to do th any vaccine...that is just an excuse to smear him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida