Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 08:54 AM

33 posts, read 122,252 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I saw multiple posts about Tampa and St Pete in their own topics.
I've been looking at moving to FL years ago and I think it's finally time.

I loved Tampa, but I felt like St Pete had a European touch.
I work from home. I'd like to be somewhat close(r) to the beach.
Looking for a nice residential area to rent first, then I'll find a place to buy.

Any hints appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:50 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Neither. Look at some of the other coastal towns in Pinellas County. Tons of options. Don’t limit yourself to the two big cities, unless you’re looking for an urban lifestyle and want to live “downtown.”

For reference, I too work from home (mainly) and am relocating to Palm Harbor from Orlando.
Nearby Tarpon Springs has the European touch you might be looking for.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:20 AM

44 posts, read 80,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint42 View Post
Greetings all,

I saw multiple posts about Tampa and St Pete in their own topics.
I've been looking at moving to FL years ago and I think it's finally time.

I loved Tampa, but I felt like St Pete had a European touch.
I work from home. I'd like to be somewhat close(r) to the beach.
Looking for a nice residential area to rent first, then I'll find a place to buy.

Any hints appreciated. Thank you.
If you speak French then, I would recommend a more euro feel around coastal SC, coastal Mobile area or LA. Tampa and St Pete aren't anything like what you're looking for.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:08 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Neither. Look at some of the other coastal towns in Pinellas County. Tons of options. Don’t limit yourself to the two big cities, unless you’re looking for an urban lifestyle and want to live “downtown.”

For reference, I too work from home (mainly) and am relocating to Palm Harbor from Orlando.
Nearby Tarpon Springs has the European touch you might be looking for.
Actually there are some neighborhoods near downtown St Pete that have a European vibe via architecture and landscaping the OP might enjoy. Old Northeast is one and while not entirely that style has Mediterranean-Villa style homes mixed in with the Bungalows and Colonial style as well. Others are Crescent Lake/Crescent Heights, Old Southeast and Roser Park. https://www.stpete.org/neighborhoods...d_profiles.php

Last edited by kyle19125; 03-26-2021 at 12:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 06:19 AM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Tampa is too far from the beach... I lived there. I also lived in Northern St. Pete, in the Feathersound area, and it was still 40 minutes to St. Pete Beach or 34 to Pass a Grill.

I'd lean towards Northern Pinellas County if I were you. Up near Dunedin, and Palm Harbor. Great beaches, and a little less population density than Clearwater.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:13 AM

44 posts, read 80,540 times
The OP has stated in the past that she speaks French. I speak other languages including French, and if I were looking for s little euro vibe, it darn would not be in St. Petersburg or Tampa ! That's a bit crazy IMHO. I'm not convinced that this sort of euro feel exists in many places in Florida at all, save perhaps Tarpon Springs! Maybe St Augustine. But other cities outrank Florida, like towns in Georgia (Helen), small towns around New Orleans (or north in Nachitoches for sure), small towns in North Carolina (Little Switzerland), certainly small French towns in and around Mobile AL (a French town to begin with), and of course Old Charleston SC.

But in and around The State of Florida? nay, look around out of the state for sure !

No place around St Pete has a euro feel. If anything it *feels* like San Francisco much more.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:50 PM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
When I'm inside Mazzaro's Italian Market in St. Pete, I feel like I'm in Rome.

When I'm at the Don Ce Sar, I feel like I'm in Europe...like in Costa Del Sol along the Spanish Riviera.

I see some European influence in St. Pete, but not a lot. I know pre-covid, Lido Key was a huge place for Europeans.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:38 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,302,217 times
I'd pick St. Pete over Tampa. It's better in most respects except for employment and schools.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:35 PM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
You might also want to check out Sarasota - extremely "European vibe" there, and some of the prettiest beaches in the country. Bring your wallet, however....

Old 03-31-2021, 09:59 AM

17 posts, read 19,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You might also want to check out Sarasota - extremely "European vibe" there, and some of the prettiest beaches in the country. Bring your wallet, however....

Never got that feeling - maybe decades ago it was, with a lot of German buyers and people from Canada or in the days of Old Heidelberg LOL, now it has more east coast than midwest vibe, which is too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida