Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 08:51 AM

286 posts, read 210,588 times

Advertisements

Shopping for a condo insurance and not sure if I need to get a wind coverage.

The condo apartment is on 15th floor in an old (1970) high rise building.
The location is SE Florida, 2000 feet from the ocean.

The difference in coverage is $650 vs $1650.

The building is old and sturdy and windows are not that big.
Is there a big chance a hurricane would blow the window out on 15th floor?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 09:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post

The building is old and sturdy and windows are not that big.

Thanks.
I've seen many a condo window blown out. If you have good hurricane shutters it is less likely although I've seen hurricane shutters fail on condos in a few storms, primarily electric vertical shutters at the outer edge of a balcony rather than up against the sliders.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:40 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post

I'm a retired claims adjuster. Florida was in my territory. I've seen the worst that hurricane season can offer.

Maybe there is a chance that your windows and patio door will survive a major hurricane. But if they don't, your home will be inundated. All your personal property will be damaged along with your flooring, cabinets and fixtures. Add the cost of dry-out fans for 3 or 4 days.

If you want to self-insure against wind I suggest you determine the replacement cost of your personal property and the "unit" elements that you get to pay for and put that money in a savings account that you never use for anything else.

The reason Florida has a state run wind insurance is because it's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when."

Old 04-03-2021, 10:14 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
On the 15th floor, you probably don't need 'rising water'/flood insurance. In the event of a hurricane or serious wind damage, you are likely covered under the Condo Association insurance policy (which has a 2-3% deductible). If not a hurricane, what are you concerned about in a 50-year old building? (Has anyone there ever had 'wind' damage w/o a hurricane?)

Typically an owner policy covers contents from the wallboard in, which is most likely covered under your basic homeowner policy. Therefore, if there is a window breach, the Association will likely pay for windows and you (or your insurance policy) will be liable for the interior.

Before buying more insurance, verify what you already have -- No sense doubling-up.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Check to see what your condo insurance covers. There's a strong likelihood that it covers replacing damaged windows, but perhaps not damage to interior walls and ceilings, and most likelynot losses of your personal belongings due to hurricane winds and penetrating rain. So you likely need wind insurance covering your personal belongings and perhaps the interior walls and ceilings.

Review your condo legal documents and see what insurance coverage the association is required to maintain and what the association is legally responsible for in the event of losses. Then obtain, annually, a copy of the condo association's insurance policy to make certain the association is buying all legally required coverage and definitely check the deductibles.

It's a good idea to use an insurance agent experienced in condos. E.g., I would want some amount of excess loss coverage, but you may need a rider to get loss assessment coverage due to hurricane winds. If the condo has inadequate hurricane/wind insurance, and damage to common areas, roofs, HVAC equipment, etc., exceed the amount of coverage, the association likely will have to assess owners for the difference. Loss assessment coverage would pay such assessments up to the policy limit.

https://www.thebalance.com/loss-asse...urance-4060435

https://andysirkin.com/subdivision-a...ium-documents/

Most condo owners have little understanding of condo insurance coverage and potential liabilities. I've always been concerned about subrogation, and the failure of many condo legal documents to require owners and their insurers to waive it. E.g., if a fire starts in your unit, and damages other units, what is your legal responsibility?

https://www.goldmanpease.com/condomi...f-subrogation/

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida