Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 07:52 PM

25,176 posts, read 12,331,449 times

Advertisements

So, will the sea level rise and engulf Florida, but not Manhattan, or Cape Cod, or Cleveland?

Some posters here belive the entire coast USA will be underwater any day now.

I find this whole notion hillarious, and entertaining.

Why don't people who feel this way move to Lookout Mountain Tennessee, to save theselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 08:36 PM

18,208 posts, read 8,034,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I'm not an expert on sea level rise. So, unlike you, I don't pull statements out of thin air and then claim that they trump NASA, NOAA, and scientific analysis by reputable scientists.
So you've repeatedly argued in this forum in many threads that there is no sea level rise, let alone sea level rise acceleration. .
NOAA no sea level rise acceleration > https://www.climate.gov/sites/defaul...TC2018_lrg.jpg

NASA no sea level rise acceleration > https://climate.nasa.gov/internal_resources/2268

measured reality slaps computer games in the face.........

Old 05-01-2021, 09:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,755,677 times
Quote:
My post 114:

Your post 115:

I'm not an expert on sea level rise. So, unlike you, I don't pull statements out of thin air and then claim that they trump NASA, NOAA, and scientific analysis by reputable scientists.

So you've repeatedly argued in this forum in many threads that there is no sea level rise, let alone sea level rise acceleration. To support your assertion, you post links to ocean buoys with NO posted data nor any analysis. You don't even supply the data from your link that you believe proves your assertion.

Posting inaccurate statements, with no actual support, is worthless drivel. It's climate change denier "Big Lie" propaganda.

So what is the most authoritative data on sea level rise? It is NASA satellite altimeter measurements which date back to 1993. Here's what NASA says about sea level rise.

NASA measures Global Mean Sea Level (GMSL). Note that is the mean level for the entire planet. Localized sea level, as repeatedly explained can be much higher.

<<Global mean sea level provides an integrative measure of the state of the climate system, encompassing both the ocean and cryosphere (ice covered portions of Earth), and it can be viewed as an important indicator of what is happening to the climate in the present and what may happen in the future.>>

Here's what NASA says it has measured since 1993.

<<Changes in GMSL have been measured by satellite altimeters for the past 27 years. With the launch of the Sentinel-6/Michael Freilich satellite in 2020, this record will soon surpass three decades. The rate of GMSL rise from 1993 to present has been measured at 3.3 millimeters per year, and there are indications that the rate of GMSL rise has increased during the satellite altimeter record. Other systems in the sea-level observation network provide estimates of the individual process contributing to GMSL rise.>>

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/understand...level/overview

Note that thermal expansion of the ocean since 2005 has accounted for 1.3 mm of the annual expansion GLOBALLY, according to the chart at the above link. Obviously, thermal expansion is much greater in the oceans surrounding Florida than in Arctic Ocean.

This 3.3 mm (over 1/8th inch) per year measurement is the most authoritative statement about GMSL available. This rate of sea level rise rise would equal over 3.5 inches cumulative since 1993. Obviously, it totally refutes your repeated false claims that there is no sea level rise. Are YOU going to continue to claim that there is no sea level rise???

Note that the 3.3 mm is the mean average since 1993.

If you scroll over the interactive chart here, the last measurement is as of 1/11/21 showing 98 mm of sea level rise since the beginning of the satellite altimeter measurements. On 1/15/11, the measurement was 48.6. The 10-year increase is 49.4 mm, or annual average of 4.94 mm (or over 3/16 inches) per year.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

The presentation in post 114 was prepared by Shimon Wdowinski, Florida International University Professor, Department of Earth and Environment. His localized estimates for Florida, showing sea level rise rates for Florida locations higher than NASA global estimates isn't surprising given the greater thermal expansion impact in Florida's oceans and shifting gravitational forces as mass decreases in the polar regions due to ice imelt.

Sea level rise expert Harold Wanless, Univ. of Miami, quantifies the localized Florida impacts of thermal expansion and gravitational force changes here:

<<
Most disconcerting, half of the excess heat buildup in the oceans has occurred since 1997. Our still rapidly increasing greenhouse gas levels, because of rapidly increasing global population and industrialization, are making global warming more and more serious and less reversible every day we keep using fossil fuels.

Earth’s rate of global mean sea level (GMSL) rise doubled after 1930 as our warming ocean began expanding. Since 1990, we have had an additional quadrupling of the rate as accelerating polar ice melt has kicked in....

Every section of coast has regional influences that add to or subtract from the GMSL rise. For South Florida, our future “total relative sea level” rise will include an addition of 15 to 20 percent from projected slowing of the Florida Current/Gulf Stream and 20 percent to 52 percent from redistribution of ocean mass as the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets melt.

Their huge ice masses pull water toward them. As they melt and their mass diminishes, their gravitational attraction diminishes and ocean water redistributes.

This means that South Florida should add 35 percent to 72 percent additional rise to the GMSL projections. The total relative sea-level rise for South Florida by 2046 could thus be 2.7 to 3.4 feet, and within 50 years could be 5.7 to 7.2 feet.>>

South Florida’s sea-level threat is worse than you think | Opinion - South Florida Sun Sentinel - South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Note that these sea level rise numbers are not my claims, as, unlike you, I am merely reporting NASA data and the analyses of experts and not making up unsubstantiated claims. Prof. Wdowinski's localized Florida data likely comes from buoy readings, but the source is not cited in the presentation. The source likely is cited in a research paper from which the presentation is derived.
Hey, WR, as long as you're still around spewing "facts and figures" I'd remind you that you still have not supported your claim much earlier in this thread about all those areas that flood a foot or more every year. I know you're quite busy researching and misrepresenting the work of scientists but maybe you should concentrate on what you can document rather than what you believe is "likely."

Old 05-02-2021, 09:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,291,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
So, will the sea level rise and engulf Florida, but not Manhattan, or Cape Cod, or Cleveland?

Some posters here belive the entire coast USA will be underwater any day now.

I find this whole notion hillarious, and entertaining.

Why don't people who feel this way move to Lookout Mountain Tennessee, to save theselves?
There's Big Lie climate change denier propaganda, and then there's ridiculously IGNORANT Big Lie climate change propaganda.

Just a few years ago, you first argued that Cleveland, OH, was threatened by sea level rise! Now, being a Big Lie propagandist, you again repeat this nonsense. Do you honestly believe if you repeat a falsehood over and over, that it will become true??? See post 17 here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...talists-2.html

In post 19 in the above thread, you also argued that gravity will no longer exist and water won't continue to flow downhill as sea level rises. Somehow, you believe, because of sea level rise, Niagara Falls no longer will exist. Not surprising for a person who stated in post 112 (see also post 114) that Florida is rising out of the ocean, perhaps at a faster rate than sea level rise. Seemingly, you think it's great comedy to spout scientific inanities equivalent to "the earth is flat, the earth is flat," but knowledgeable individuals find such foolishness extremely pathetic.

Just so no readers of this thread believe your claim that Cleveland is doomed to sea level rise inundation, as explained in 2019 (see above link), if all ice on Earth melted, maximum sea level rise is much less than 300 feet.

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-would-...ience_products

Cleveland's and Lake Erie's elevation are both well over 500 feet.

While Greater New York City, Cape Cod, and all U.S. coastal areas are at risk of inundation and immense infrastructure loss, much of their elevations are much higher than most of the areas of Florida that are heavily populated. E.g., see post 53 for a discussion of elevations in New York City.

<<Contrary to your deceitful claim, most of Manahattan has an elevation above 40 feet, and the majority of it has an elevation above 60 feet, much, much higher than most of southern Florida.>>

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...l#post60767767

By contrast, consider the immense populated areas of Florida that lie below 3.5 feet, let alone 20 feet.

https://johnenglander.net/florida-is...-anytime-soon/

Also, New York City is not built on porous limestone as is much of southern Florida.

BTW, please provide a link to validate this absurd claim of yours: "Some posters here belive [sp] the entire coast USA will be underwater any day now."

What is demonstrated repeatedly throughout this thread is that there are a handful of Big Lie propagandists, such as yourself, that grossly misrepresent empirical and scientific reality, and hinder objective debate in this forum.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-02-2021 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-03-2021, 07:38 AM

9,296 posts, read 14,188,570 times
Another very recent article on property insurance rates in Florida.

As in a previous similar article, also published by an insurance industry newsletter, not some fluff from the mass media, there is no mention of sea-level rise, little mention of hurricanes, and sharp focus on costs of litigation, in significant part involving fraudulent claims.

So while human behavior has very little to do with climate change - whose cycles run in the tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of years, long before and long after humans - human behavior has a lot do with insurance rates and hysteria over climate change with ulterior motives, like chronic arrogant narcissism.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
There has to be a point when a poster like that gets banned. Enough is enough. Accusing people of lying, flooding boards with MASSIVE copy/paste dumps, spewing around false information and lies (ex., claiming I said there is no sea level rise, or that I posted links to ocean buoys, or that I refute NOAA claims despite the fact that I posted an article literally from their own website...)
What does it take for this garbage to stop? It’s trolling at its finest.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:34 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,712,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
There has to be a point when a poster like that gets banned. Enough is enough. Accusing people of lying, flooding boards with MASSIVE copy/paste dumps, spewing around false information and lies (ex., claiming I said there is no sea level rise, or that I posted links to ocean buoys, or that I refute NOAA claims despite the fact that I posted an article literally from their own website...)
Put him on ignore, that helps except when people quote him and I’m subjected to his walls of text again.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:53 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,291,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
There has to be a point when a poster like that gets banned. Enough is enough. Accusing people of lying, flooding boards with MASSIVE copy/paste dumps, spewing around false information and lies (ex., claiming I said there is no sea level rise, or that I posted links to ocean buoys, or that I refute NOAA claims despite the fact that I posted an article literally from their
Maybe I've confused you with one of your fellow propagandists regarding sea level change, but your dismissal of sea level rise and its consequences is patently obvious. Anyone can read through this thread from start to finish and see the egregious falsities posted here, often repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
nope, sorry.......fail

There's been no change in the rate of sea level rise in 100 years.....just exactly the same up and down cycles it's always had

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8723214
https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...celerates.html

My memory is that I can find several other instances when this falsehood is repeated. BTW, anyone who clicks on the link in the above post, and who knows anything about slopes, clearly can see the increase in sea level over the period displayed; the graph heading even says "2.97 +/- .21 mm/year."

As for the accuracy of your posts, see post 50 and subsequent posts regarding Sanibel when you claimed "barely anyone lives there," a falsity that you continued to purse in several subsequent posts despite overwhelming evidence, including census statistics, to the contrary.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...l#post60766354

Sanibel exemplifies your "belief" in climate change and sea level rise. See posts 82, 84, 88, 89, and 90. In post 11 in this thread, I document the realities of sea level rise.

See especially the last paragraphs:

<<The column by the University of Miami's Harold Wanless, one of Florida's foremost experts on sea level rise, explains why sea level rise in Florida will exceed global averages.

<<This means that South Florida should add 35 percent to 72 percent additional rise to the GMSL projections. The total relative sea-level rise for South Florida by 2046 could thus be 2.7 to 3.4 feet, and within 50 years could be 5.7 to 7.2 feet. This is not an encouraging future when you look at elevation maps of South Florida or most any other coast.>>

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...620-story.html>>

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...lerates-2.html

Yet in post 84, you don't believe Sanibel faces any problem for 70 years even though it's elevation only is 3 feet. Given high tides, a sea level rise of even a foot, widely expected in the next decade, is no problem???

Hurricane rapid intensification is a consequence of climate change. Sanibel's mayor thought Hurricane Irma would destroy the island, but you minimize Sanibel's risks due to climate change.

Essentially, your game is to say that climate change and sea level rise are real, but they are of no immediate consequence. Got it, but you've never documented how your argument reflects objective reality. E.g., please tell us how the "engineers" will save Miami, how much it will cost, and who will pay for it.

I'm not going to live in this forum refuting the constant barrage of inaccuracies of you and your fellow Big Lie propagandists. Rarely do any of you document your claims, but you express false and unjustified outrage when someone documents your inaccuracies. When links are posted, as in the above example, they typically don't support what is claimed in the text of the post.

Big Lie propagandists permeate our society and make every effort to diminish objective reality, to deny their own deceit, and to vilify anyone who challenges their avalanche of fown website...)alsities.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-03-2021 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 04:21 PM

18,208 posts, read 8,034,294 times
Quote:
My memory is that I can find several other instances when this falsehood is repeated. BTW, anyone who clicks on the link in the above post, and who knows anything about slopes, clearly can see the increase in sea level over the period displayed; the graph heading even says "2.97 +/- .21 mm/year.".
the link is NOAA > https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8723214

2.97mm = 1/10th of an inch a year....sea level in Miami is increasing at 1/10th of an inch a year...9/10th of a foot in 100 years

...and has been increasing at 1/10th of an inch a year since records began.....90 years ago....1930

Old 05-03-2021, 07:12 PM

30,146 posts, read 20,868,388 times
More wrong again in this thread jed. Time to give up and let what is gonna go down just go down or i should say come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida