Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 06:58 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Really? Why don't you tell us what you believe is causing global warming, rising ocean heat content, ice melt, and what the negative impacts will be on Florida over the next two decades?
*sigh...* Here we go... Burning fossil fuels, (Yes, the US is a major contributor to this,) deforestation, poor agricultural practices.
Do I believe in sea level rise? Of course. I also believe that civil engineers are hard at work and will have solutions in place to minimize the impact on our major cities.

Explained here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Because they won't let it go underwater..........they have decades to figure it out. If and when it happens to be a problem in 50 years.

They are already thinking about creating man made islands off Miami to deal with storm surge from Hurricanes.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/swire-p...m-storm-surge/

Quote:
Do you believe that we must transition to a non-fossil fuel economy as rapidly as possible?
Yes. And as an engineer who works directly in line with power/electricity, my bank account would also be happy.

Quote:
What do you believe is the impact of rising atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide and methane?
Global warming.

Quote:
Do you dismiss the reality of accelerating sea level rise anticipated by Florida's regional climate change scientific advisory panels (see post 6).
Nope.

Quote:

My opinion is that persons such as you, whom I've never seen admit or discuss the empirical realities of climate change and the coming horrors, still are climate change deniers regardless of your protestations to the contrary. Your great agitation is not about climate change realities, but over persons who discuss these realities and the consequences.

If you act like a climate change denier, you are one IMO.
Me finding you and your incessant walls of texts annoying makes me a "denier," huh... You're an interesting one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 08:28 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
*sigh...* Here we go... Burning fossil fuels, (Yes, the US is a major contributor to this,)
nope....the US has not contributed to any increase in CO2 for the past 50 years

....all of the increase has come from China, India, and the developing world...with the UN/IPCC's blessings

CO2 levels were 325ppm 50 years ago...1970.....left up to the US....CO2 levels would still be 325ppm

...CO2 levels are now ~410ppm......all of that increase has come from China, India, and the developing world

CO2 levels > https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png

Old 04-07-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
nope....the US has not contributed to any increase in CO2 for the past 50 years

....all of the increase has come from China, India, and the developing world...with the UN/IPCC's blessings

CO2 levels were 325ppm 50 years ago...1970.....left up to the US....CO2 levels would still be 325ppm

...CO2 levels are now ~410ppm......all of that increase has come from China, India, and the developing world

CO2 levels > https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png
Interesting. Thank you for sharing this important piece of factual information, and for doing so without typing up a copy/paste novel of random internet finds.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:07 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Me finding you and your incessant walls of texts annoying makes me a "denier," huh... You're an interesting one.
Some humans get their frustrations out by repeatedly and hysterically telling others what they already know.

Ideological nutcases, fodder for someone else's agenda.

Both give a bad name to once venerable "science" and "statistics".

Old 04-07-2021, 10:46 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Most "residents" of Sanibel are seasonal. Many of the homes you see are rented out, quite a few short-term.
How many full-time residents, out of that measly ~7,000 number, are there? You've obviously never been so Sanibel Island. The one bridge that leads to Sanibel has a toll that charges somewhere around $8. Know why? Tourist dollars -- because the vast majority of the people on the island are tourists.

Again, you know little to nothing about Florida. Why you're so obsessed with polluting this forum with written diarrhea at every opportunity is beyond me.
The 7,400 population estimate is from the U.S. Census Bureau. It does not reflect seasonal residents. Note that the census bureau reports almost 3,700 households for Sanibel!!!

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,FL/PST120219

Most likely, IMO, you have been caught in another deceit, especially as you've pursued the falsehood even after you were once challenged.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The 7,400 population estimate is from the U.S. Census Bureau. It does not reflect seasonal residents. Note that the census bureau reports almost 3,700 households for Sanibel!!!

Most likely, IMO, you have been caught in another deceit, especially as you've pursued the falsehood even after you were once challenged.
Okay... let’s break this down for you:
You live in Boston. You are wealthy. You own a second “vacation home” in Sanibel. You only live in it for one month out of the year. The rest of the time, you rent it out through Airbnb or other venues (just look at Airbnb listings for crying out loud.) YOU, the wealthy owner of the home, are listed as a resident. Is this really hard to comprehend?
Anyone who visits Sanibel would understand this.
Imagine living somewhere permanently and having to pay $16 every time you want to go to Walmart, Target or Publix to do basic grocery shopping. Come on now...

I’d estimate the number of permanent residents there is somewhere around 1/4 of that figure.

BTW, my brother lives in Canada — he owns a house in WPB. According to census figures, he is a resident of WPB. He goes there maybe 2 or 3 weeks out of the year. The rest of the time, family and friends stay there when on vacation, and if not, it’s rented out.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Classical "Big Lie" response. I well documented that Spencer Glendon is a highly qualified economist, with immense financial management experience and knowledge, who is associated with a leading U.S. climate science research organization. Most importantly, he is widely acknowledged, as repeatedly documented, as a top expert on the financial and economic impacts of climate change.

Personally, I have nothing but disgust for the deceit; ridiculous grammatical quibbling; and laughable objections over highly substantiated posts practiced by the handful of dedicated climate change deniers in this forum.

Individuals with objective reasoning capacity certainly will find my posts informative and thought provoking.

The bottom line is that we'll find out over the next 10-20 years if Glendon is accurate in his projection of a massive wealth destruction ahead for Florida. Accelerating ocean heat content levels, accelerating ocean thermal expansion, accelerating sea level rise, accelerating ice melt in the cryosphere, rising atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide and methane, etc., all are EMPIRICAL realities. Florida's climate change scientists project as much as a foot of sea level rise or more over the next decade.

You and your fellow deniers can't even acknowledge these realities. Instead you attack me for relaying, accurately, what the experts are reporting.

How very, very pathetic. Do you seriously believe you have any credibility???
Your opinion of Glendon's qualifications as an economist or financial analyst is your opinion, not a universal truth. Your opinion of a financial professional's status as a coastal geologist is laughable. Your utter reliance on remote worst case scenarios belies any possibly proper reference you may supply.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:33 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Interesting. Thank you for sharing this important piece of factual information, and for doing so without typing up a copy/paste novel of random internet finds.
well the only thing it's all about is CO2.....

CO2 causes global warming....and that causes snow/no snow, rain/no rain, droughts/floods, hurricanes/no hurricanes, forest fires/and no fires......and sea level rise LOL

CO2 is all that matters....the rest of it is a con job....if it wasn't a con job....and it was really as dangerous as they scream.....they would be blaming China, India, and the developing world

cause we didn't do it, they did > https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png

Old 04-08-2021, 03:08 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Your inaccuracies are highlighted in boldface.

Quote:
Lol

Also, Sanibel is a freaking resort. Barely anyone lives there.

LOL
Quote:
?????

Sanibel has a population of 7,500 relatively wealthy individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanibel,_Florida

https://www.zillow.com/sanibel-fl/home-values/

I wish I could find such sustained ignorance funny.

Sanibel's mayor had expected Hurricane Irma to wipe Sanibel off the map.

https://www.news-press.com/story/wea...ief/655544001/

https://www.captivasanibel.com/2019/...ewell-sanibel/

Of course the risks faced by Sanibel residents also apply to the several millions of Floridians who live on barrier islands and coastal areas with sea level elevations of less than five feet.

What do believe the consequences will be of major hurricane striking a heavily populated and developed area of Florida?

Do you dismiss the possibility that an insurance reserves crushing catastrophe, as anticipated by Glendon, wouldn't reverberate through Florida's economy with severely negative consequences?

Do you think the total destruction of Sanibel or another barrier island would serve as a massive wake-up call to all Floridians living in coastal areas?
Quote:
Most "residents" of Sanibel are seasonal. Many of the homes you see are rented out, quite a few short-term.
How many full-time residents, out of that measly ~7,000 number, are there? You've obviously never been so Sanibel Island. The one bridge that leads to Sanibel has a toll that charges somewhere around $8. Know why? Tourist dollars -- because the vast majority of the people on the island are tourists.

Again, you know little to nothing about Florida. Why you're so obsessed with polluting this forum with written diarrhea at every opportunity is beyond me.
Quote:

Quote:
Okay... let’s break this down for you:
You live in Boston. You are wealthy. You own a second “vacation home” in Sanibel. You only live in it for one month out of the year. The rest of the time, you rent it out through Airbnb or other venues (just look at Airbnb listings for crying out loud.) YOU, the wealthy owner of the home, are listed as a resident. Is this really hard to comprehend?
Anyone who visits Sanibel would understand this.
Imagine living somewhere permanently and having to pay $16 every time you want to go to Walmart, Target or Publix to do basic grocery shopping. Come on now...

I’d estimate the number of permanent residents there is somewhere around 1/4 of that figure.
You always tell a story, but a careful examination of facts generally belies your arguments. Your willingness to engage in deceit IMO is disgusting, but hardly unique in this forum, and sadly, not in our nation any longer. Despite your claims otherwise, you obviously know little about Sanibel.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...0210#POP010210

You argue the census bureau statistics are meaningless. Yet the census bureau says 8.3 percent of Sanibel residents, or about 600 residents, are less than 18 years old. The Sanibel School, a public school for children PK-8 (public high school is off-island) has 288 students. Considering pre-school infants, high school students, private school students, home-schooled students, parochial students (Summit Christian), etc., the enrollment of The Sanibel School seems to support the accuracy of the Sanibel census. Interestingly, 27 percent of the enrollment is from low-income families, NOT families likely to establish households on Sanibel but live elsewhere.

https://www.greatschools.org/florida...anibel-School/

For an island community with "barely" any residents, there are FIVE churches and TWO veterinary clinics. The city has a recreation center. How bizarre IF your claims about Sanibel had any veracity. In actuality, there is overwhelming evidence that the census bureau's reported 3,700 households on Sanibel actually do exist and their members engage in an active daily life, well supported by amenities.

https://sanibelrealestateguide.com/s...esident-guide/

https://www.saintisabel.org/

This public recreation center exists on a barely populated island???

https://sanibel-island.sanibel-capti...th-fitness-382

As for the Sanibel Causeway, there is a $6 toll for only island-bound traffic. Residents using LeeWay transponder pre-paid accounts receive a 25 percent discount for off-peak hours.

https://www.leewayinfo.com/

Your representations about Sanibel are simply a bundle of falsehoods.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-08-2021 at 03:17 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 04:43 AM

Forgot that the toll was only inbound. Oh well. And I said SOMEWHERE around $8. Couldn’t remember the exact figure, but I remember it being high, from my personal experience, because I actually have gone there several times and have a feel for the place, unlike you who only gets your information from Google.

Recreation centers and churches are for anyone.

Again, have you checked the short term rental listings on the island? Of course not — it doesn’t feed your narrative.

Why am I even arguing with you? Posts full of insults and attacks when you, again, prove you know nothing about the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida