Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 09:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times

Advertisements

I know two people who are planning on retiring to Florida within the next 3 years (separately, not a couple). But both of them are growing concerned about varied stories online regarding how ultra-conservative some people say many of these communities are.

I would describe both of these people as "very moderate" - they get along with a wide range of people so long as no one attacks them for their own beliefs. They both have Democrat and Republican friends but none of the fringe side of either - again... very moderate. Are there any decent retirement communities with homes in the $225-300k range in the Central to Western areas of FL that have normal amounts of shopping and decent medical services around, that are KNOWN for being diverse and less political?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 10:12 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
If budget was no concern, I'd look at Sarasota/Venice. The Republicans there tend to be more Romney types, very old school fiscal conservatives. It's a different crowd than The Villages which went more crazy for Trump.

Trump won Sumter County by like 35 points and Sarasota County by 10 or so.

The problem is you might have a hard time finding something decent under $300k. The real estate prices have gone up quite a bit the last year in Sarasota and much of Florida.

The more affordable retirement areas like The Villages and the surrounding Ocala area are more conservative, but I will say that if they are apolitical people then I doubt they'll get hassled. There are hundreds of clubs and organizations and most people are respectful as long as you say you don't want to talk about politics. If you choose to engage in discussions, then you might get hit with extreme views.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
If budget was no concern, I'd look at Sarasota/Venice. The Republicans there tend to be more Romney types, very old school fiscal conservatives. It's a different crowd than The Villages which went more crazy for Trump.

The more affordable retirement areas like The Villages and the surrounding Ocala area are more conservative, but I will say that if they are apolitical people then I doubt they'll get hassled. If you choose to engage in discussions, then you might get hit with extreme views.
I think Venice (from what I've heard) is out of both of their price ranges. I'll help them look around Sarasota online, etc. We're talking 2BR/2BA with maybe a flex room or den, and I don't think either one of them are crazy about having a pool in the back, but even those smaller homes I hear cost $$ in Venice.

They both have strict "no politics, no religion" discussion rules I know, but I think in general they want to stay away from even having large numbers of neighbors who wear the red hats (putting it bluntly). Having a few mixed in to a greater mix of people is ok, but if that is the typical makeup of an entire community, it's kind of hard to avoid it all even if you refuse to talk about it.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:25 AM

648 posts, read 517,604 times
I have a friend who lives in Herirage Hills in Clermont. I’ve been to visit him many times and it seems like it’s a pretty diverse community. It’s definitely central Florida - not near the water by any means, but Clermont is a growing area that has good shopping amenities and hospitals. Plus it’s not too far from the theme parks if either of your friends are into that.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:52 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
When I was looking for a home to buy what led me to the Ocala Central Florida area was my budget. Much of Florida in or near its big Metro's was not in my budget. That is absolutely my only reason for buying in a Retirement Community in Ocala about 20 minutes from the Villages. You do what you have to do to live and survive in the USA on your Retirement budget. So when I looked at several communities I didn't need anyone to tell me, that Extreme Conservatism was what I would find living here. I could feel it. I can honestly say I got exactly that and alot more. I have never in my life heard so many people go on and on, about their Republican viewpoints as I do in this region of Florida. I've never seen anything like it. If I try to be friendly and it leads to some little conversation. Then within moments there are comments about something to do with the regional conservative mindset here. If its not their Republican politics its their Religion. I'm beyond sick of it. Mostly I can't figure out. If so many people move into Florida,then why doesn't it have a broader range of types of people. How can it have such a ridiculously high percentage of conservatism in particular areas. It's as if its expected that all retired people are going to be like this. I've got a newsflash for Florida on that one. We are not all into Conservative Politics and Religious comments. Especially when someone is just trying to be friendly, and not even touching on such subjects.

So all I can say its not an exaggeration on Ultra Conservative Central Florida's Retirement communites at least above Orlando. These Retirement Communities are very conservative, as well as next to nothing related to diversity of people. . The mindset will impact your life if you value anything, that involves Progressive ideas or improvement. It most definitely will impact you socially.

I think its better to have diversity of people and mindsets. I really do. That's all I knew in my life before living here, and I'm glad I did. It's when you have far to many like minded people in a region, it can cause an unwelcoming controlling disconnected type feeling, to anyone outside that segment of the dominant population. I don't know how Florida developed into this type demographic and I don't agree with it.

My suggestion is to look if its affordable in the Sarasota area and parts of South Florida.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think Venice (from what I've heard) is out of both of their price ranges. I'll help them look around Sarasota online, etc. We're talking 2BR/2BA with maybe a flex room or den, and I don't think either one of them are crazy about having a pool in the back, but even those smaller homes I hear cost $$ in Venice.

They both have strict "no politics, no religion" discussion rules I know, but I think in general they want to stay away from even having large numbers of neighbors who wear the red hats (putting it bluntly). Having a few mixed in to a greater mix of people is ok, but if that is the typical makeup of an entire community, it's kind of hard to avoid it all even if you refuse to talk about it.
I think they may find some things in Sarasota especially if they are OK with townhomes and condos but not necessarily a 55+ community with all the amenities and clubs like they have around the villages. Sarasota is a different type of place with a different type retiree. They are more likely to find a traditional mixed neighborhood with all age groups in their price range or a 55+ community with basic amenities like a pool and fitness and card/social room and not a bazillion clubs like The Villages.

North Port borders Venice and affords a lot more affordability but it's mostly retirees and families all mixed together. More working and middle class and that is reflective in its affordability.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:01 PM

The Villages was marketed to Fox News viewers in ads and other conservative publications, talk radio, for many, many years. It became like a Conservative Disney Land because of it. People with those views wanted to be around people with those views in retirement and not liberals. The Villages is especially popular with working class conservatives in blue states up north who are sick of their blue state politics. Then that spilled out into Ocala and the entire region so now it is solidly conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
When I was looking for a home to buy what led me to the Ocala Central Florida area was my budget. Much of Florida in or near its big Metro's was not in my budget. That is absolutely my only reason for buying in a Retirement Community in Ocala about 20 minutes from the Villages. You do what you have to do to live and survive in the USA on your Retirement budget. So when I looked at several communities I didn't need anyone to tell me, that Extreme Conservatism was what I would find living here. I could feel it. I can honestly say I got exactly that and alot more. I have never in my life heard so many people go on and on, about their Republican viewpoints as I do in this region of Florida. I've never seen anything like it. If I try to be friendly and it leads to some little conversation. Then within moments there are comments about something to do with the regional conservative mindset here. If its not their Republican politics its their Religion. I'm beyond sick of it. Mostly I can't figure out. If so many people move into Florida,then why doesn't it have a broader range of types of people. How can it have such a ridiculously high percentage of conservatism in particular areas. It's as if its expected that all retired people are going to be like this. I've got a newsflash for Florida on that one. We are not all into Conservative Politics and Religious comments. Especially when someone is just trying to be friendly, and not even touching on such subjects.

So all I can say its not an exaggeration on Ultra Conservative Central Florida's Retirement communites at least above Orlando. These Retirement Communities are very conservative, as well as next to nothing related to diversity of people. . The mindset will impact your life if you value anything, that involves Progressive ideas or improvement. It most definitely will impact you socially.

I think its better to have diversity of people and mindsets. I really do. That's all I knew in my life before living here, and I'm glad I did. It's when you have far to many like minded people in a region, it can cause an unwelcoming controlling disconnected type feeling, to anyone outside that segment of the dominant population. I don't know how Florida developed into this type demographic and I don't agree with it.

My suggestion is to look if its affordable in the Sarasota area and parts of South Florida.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:14 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
While I don't have any specific communities, why not a 55+ subdivision within a city like Tampa and Orlando? That way, you still have the political diversification of a larger city even if you vehemently disagree with your neighbors. I guess the biggest issue would be affordability.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:49 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I actually just spent almost an hour looking at statistical data as well as considering what I've heard from others and think Wesley Chapel could be a good option. Wesley Chapel is an unincorporated community located about 25 minutes northeast of Tampa. I know a retired couple who moved there three years ago from Long Island NY and they are very happy.

DIVERSITY -- The median age is around 36, which is about on par with the national average. So it's not dominated by young people or old people. But I'm sure there are some communities or developments that appeal more to retirees. But I don't think it would feel like a so called "retirement community." Also, it's nicely racially diverse with about 57% of the population being white non-Hispanic, 23% Hispanic and 10% Black. So, everyone's idea of diversity is subjective, but Wesley Chapel is quite representative of America as a whole, which is 61% white non-Hispanic, 18% Hispanic and 12% Black, in addition to other races.

POLITICS -- Wesley Chapel is located in Pasco County. Upon a granular analysis by voting precinct, you can see that the precincts within Wesley Chapel are very moderate throughout the area, with most margins of victory being within 5 or 10 percentage points. That's very moderate! You can see the extremely detailed map of election results by precinct here, if you type in any location or zoom in the map: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html

SHOPPING & HEALTHCARE -- Wesley Chapel is a somewhat populated area, with over 60,000 people and rapidly growing, but it still feels very suburban in character. Many parts are rural, in fact. There is plenty of shopping throughout the area and healthcare facilities.

HOUSING AFFORDABILITY -- According to Zillow's latest home value data for single family homes, the typical home value in Wesley Chapel is about $292K, which is within their price range. If they would rather spend less, I would imagine that townhomes or condos are cheaper, available options in the area.

Florida is a toss up state in national elections so you will certainly see a lot of enthusiasm for politicians during election seasons. I'm talking about yard signs, flags, bumper stickers and rallies. However, Wesley Chapel isn't "known" for being a political hotspot. But Tampa certainly attracts many presidential candidates to the area during election seasons, where rallies and other events are often held. But I think in Wesley Chapel you would be "away" from it all.

I hope this helps a little!

Last edited by nep321; 05-09-2021 at 05:01 PM..

Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
I live in Charlotte County. Despite what the last election shows you still run into a lot of libs here in Punta Gorda because we have a lot of people from NY, MA, NJ around here, especially in season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida