Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,604 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone ! My husband is considering taking a job in Sebring Florida ,
We have five kids and currently live in Virginia Beach , I am so worried
About the school system I heard bad reputation about public school
In Florida , he doesn’t mind to drive up to an hour for his work ,
Do you have any recommendations where we should look ? Good place for family and kids and good school ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
What bad did he hear about the schools in Sebring? My gf went to school there. It’s a bit “backwood”-ish, if you want to call it that, but it’s a fine place, retirement hub if anything. Your kids might be bored, but that’s about it. It’s a fine place, and one of the few affordable enclaves remaining in the FL peninsula south of I4.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:00 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
Would be a downgrade compared to Virginia Beach.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
Sebring is kind of rural and quiet and known as an affordable retirement destination. It skews older and there's not that much to do for kids comparatively. I agree it's a major downgrade compared to Virginia Beach. If you have a very flexible work schedule with telework where you only have to go into Sebring once or twice a week, you could perhaps look at Lakewood Ranch near Bradenton or Sarasota. It would be a 90 minute commute so really pushing it here but that area is very nice for a family and much closer to civilization and what you are used to in Virginia Beach.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:57 PM

161 posts, read 128,135 times
Sebring is in the middle of nowhere. Nice place. Lots of retirees and Hispanics and cows. Rolling hills are nice. Just my opinion but commuting to Sebring from anywhere would be hell. I would just move there and if you can't stand it, you are free to move again. I have a relative in Avon Park and I hate the drive down Hwy 27. Terrible. If you like nature, there is a lot of nice hiking. Inland Florida is beautiful IMHO. The Lake Wales Ridge has a unique ecosystem unlike anywhere else in the US. If you are a SAHM, the kids could do virtual school. It's free. Also, I would add any place you could live within one hour of Sebring would not have any better schools, although Lakeland has some good private schools.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:23 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace512 View Post
Sebring is in the middle of nowhere. Nice place. Lots of retirees and Hispanics and cows. Rolling hills are nice. Just my opinion but commuting to Sebring from anywhere would be hell. I would just move there and if you can't stand it, you are free to move again. I have a relative in Avon Park and I hate the drive down Hwy 27. Terrible. If you like nature, there is a lot of nice hiking. Inland Florida is beautiful IMHO. The Lake Wales Ridge has a unique ecosystem unlike anywhere else in the US. If you are a SAHM, the kids could do virtual school. It's free. Also, I would add any place you could live within one hour of Sebring would not have any better schools, although Lakeland has some good private schools.
Everything about this post is spot on.
Yes, Hwy 27 is absolute garbage all the way through. The commute West going towards Tampa/St-Pete through Parrish is kind of nice though. I forget the name of the road, but it’s a long, two lane country road through some nice uninterrupted land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida