Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 AM

31 posts, read 130,343 times

Advertisements

We would like to move to the east coast of Fla in 2010. I will have MA in community counseling and my LPC (NBCC level cert/lic) and my Certified Addictions Counselor Level II by then. What is the market like? How is the pay? Is the market flooded? Sure would appreciate the info. BTW my wife is a Personal Care Provider, and has specialized in working with DD clients for several yrs. Any info?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,807,806 times
There is a new addictions rehab facility being built in Flagler County. It's part of the Stuart Marchman center but will be called the Vince Carter something. You might check on jobs there. Their hq in Daytona.

I don't understand the abbreviations in your other question so I can't answer that.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:10 PM

774 posts, read 2,365,898 times
I'm a licensed mental health and substance abuse counselor (in R.I.) and have over 20 experience in the field.

I moved to the West Coast of Florida (North Port) last fall and did find a job in the field. I wouldn't say jobs are plentiful, but with addictions experience you'll probably find work.

That said, the State of Florida will do everything in their power to PREVENT anyone from out of state from EVER getting licensed here. They will obstruct you in every way and basically force you to start the whole process from scratch.

I assume that they want younger people who were educated here to get licensed and take jobs that require licensure.

You can get an addictions certification here but of course that's not the same as being licensed especially for insurance reimbursement.

As far as pay, it's comparable or better than what you'd get in Rhode Island.

There seems to be a lot of jobs working with adolescents down here.

Hope that helps,

Mikey

Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Clarification

Thanks, Pirate and mikey. Sorry, I am fairly unaware of what initials are fairly standard and what ones are state specific.
--MA in community counseling (Master Of Arts Degree)
--LPC Licensed Professional Counselor (In Colorado, this is the counseling degree that is equal in rank to LMFT or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and LCSW or Licensed Clinical Social Worker. LPC just doesn't specialize in Social work or M&F.
--NBCC is what I thought was the nearly universal accreditation for Counselors outside of the state of Colorado.
--CAC is Certified Addictions Counselor an elevated but not neccessarily college educated certifications in the field of addictions.

What are counselors called in Florida when they have a grad degree and 2,000 hrs of supervised practice? What are the job prospects? What is the Pay scale for those working in the field of addictions? Is the Market swamped with graduates?

--how is addictions certificatin different from being licensed? What do I need to provide DUI education and Theapy?

--Did you have to start over Mikey? Why did they grieve you?

Old 05-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Default Any more information

Is there anything that anyone out there can add? I would love to have some more info. TIA

Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Any Florida Psychotherapists out there?

Sure would love to have an answer. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: