Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 11:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

In a previous florida thread a poster had mentioned that the tampa bay area feels the most like the midwest culturally. I'd be curious to know what others feel about the different parts of florida. Does the tampa area feel the most like the midwest? Why/why not? Obviously your interpretation of midwestern may vary but I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts/opinions. Disclaimer, I was born and raised in the midwest and have lived most of my life somewhere in the midwest (Columbus OH, Chicago, Indy) but my wife and I have considered moving our family to Florida for a while now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 03:08 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I agree with the Tampa Bay assertion and in particular the Palm Harbor/Countryside/Safety Harbor area in Northern Pinellas County. Obviously not from a geographical standpoint, rather from the profile of the average resident living there. There are a lot of alumni of Big Ten schools with families (Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc flags/bumper stickers everywhere) and a very evident culture of block parties/social gatherings not normally seen in FL. All in all it's very welcoming and a refreshing difference. I personally would focus on Safety Harbor and neighborhoods like North Bay Hills, Bay Woods, Harbor Woods Village and Rainbow Farms. I have a friend who lives in North Bay Hills and love their block parties!

Old 09-21-2021, 04:56 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Yes, Tampa/Sarasota is like the midwest-by-the-sea. It feels very similar to up north and almost everyone you meet is a transplant. One of the best parts of Florida.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yes, Tampa/Sarasota is like the midwest-by-the-sea. It feels very similar to up north and almost everyone you meet is a transplant. One of the best parts of Florida.
Cool, thanks for the good feedback.

My wife and I have been considering the tampa area, Orlando and Jacksonville area.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:07 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
The Tampa Bay Area does seem a lot friendlier than the east coast.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:20 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
How is any of this desirable? To be around of nasally sounding Karen's with their hot dishes and their complaining that they can't find good deep dish pizza or the Cubbies on TV? That's not Florida!

How's this: adapt and acclimate to your new surroundings and embrace the local culture, instead of segregating yourself in little Minneapolis?
Generalize much?

One can play the same game utilizing the many "Floriduh" natives driving around in jacked-up pickup trucks sporting Salt Life and FloGrown stickers.

It's very American to congregate with others you can relate to as have the many immigrant groups who move here and choose to keep alive their cultural heritage (Name a nationality, they all tend to gravitate toward one another to varying degrees).

For a Midwest transplant that can be college allegiances and pro sports team affiliations that go back for generations, as are traditional foods, potluck dinners and sharing of those family recipes with friends/neighbors. NY/NJ natives have been doing that in South Florida for decades.

Don't like it? Fine.

Continue the usual anti-social FL native practice of barely acknowledging your neighbor with all the blinds drawn hiding in the AC and coming/going by car in and out of your garage.

I'll be looking forward to trying Creamy Corn Casserole (delightfully nasally Karen's recipe from her great-grandmother) while her hubby Bob grills up some Burgers and Sausages on the grill drinking a cold one or two with the guys talking about the Bears/Lions/Colts/Bengals/Vikings (and preferably not the Packers) and how of course luckily they won't have to play Brady and the Bucs this year.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:08 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Southwest Florida seems to be more midwestern, it does help that Tampa runs on i-75 which is one of the main interstates on the midwest. A youtuber I watch says Ocala felt midwestern him. It felt more like the midwest to him than it does Florida.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:30 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Southwest Florida seems to be more midwestern, it does help that Tampa runs on i-75 which is one of the main interstates on the midwest. A youtuber I watch says Ocala felt midwestern him. It felt more like the midwest to him than it does Florida.
Ocala and points north (excluding Gainesville) is more Southern than Midwestern.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:44 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Only parts of Bradenton still seem somewhat "midwestern" to me. Lived in Sarasota/Bdton for decades and it has really changed. People from all over now, I would not call it midwestern at all.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 14,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Only parts of Bradenton still seem somewhat "midwestern" to me. Lived in Sarasota/Bdton for decades and it has really changed. People from all over now, I would not call it midwestern at all.
yeah, I would definitely say this is true NOW, that MW feel stopped in about 1990 or so - even the new people from around Chicago are totally different - culturally and even ethnically .

The biggest change I've seen and experienced was Pinellas County and particularly St Pete - that place has become a bit weird, Clearwater is less changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida