Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:00 AM

396 posts, read 417,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsportsradio View Post
Not so sure that is true. From everyone I have spoke to in Florida the job market is booming cause nobody wants to work. I myself am in the process of relocating to Florida and had many interviews with companies in Florida and almost all of them said to me . "It would be easier to hire you if you were already here. Its tough for us to hold a job for you when you are not sure when you will arrive. Specially with rentals going so fast as well"

If you have some spare change you can move without the work and will secure something fast I am sure.
I still disagree. If you have a sought after skill or white collar job, your experience will be different. Low skill/no skill/blue collar would be irresponsible to move before securing a job first. It can be done (it's done all the time) but in the current environment it might be more challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 02:29 AM

174 posts, read 503,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsportsradio View Post
Not so sure that is true. From everyone I have spoke to in Florida the job market is booming cause nobody wants to work. I myself am in the process of reloacating to Florida and had many interviews with companies in Florida and almost all of them said to me . "It would be easier to hire you if you were already here. Its tough for us to hold a job for you when you are not sure when you will arrive. Specially with rentals going so fast as well"

If you have some spare change you can move without the work and will secure something fast I am sure.
It's this exact same thing in West MI (where I live) too. We see massive turnover all the time. Places need help bad. I can get why they wouldn't hold a job because they need the help right now. On the other hand all these lazy people around give you job security. I know I can always find a job because I'm willing to take orders, not complain and work 60-70 hours a week while showing up on time. Most people in my generation can't (and its worse in GenZ).

Old 07-05-2021, 03:35 PM

236 posts, read 900,818 times
I live in Palm Coast, and even though its growing at an alarming rate, its still a nice place to live. Nice town center and community events. I used to live in Spring Hill, there is a reason I moved across the state. I still own 2 houses there. Do not buy there, the places that are not HOA driven are going down hill, its becoming the sister slum to Brooksville. And HOA's are what they always are. There is not much of a town to speak of, if you are looking to be part of a community. Overall I just dont feel its a good spot for families or retired folks, and dont forget about the sink holes. I had run into more shady handymen type people then I ever had. In my opinion that area has the worst hospitals and doctors that I had Ever come in contact with. As you can tell, I am sorry I ever heard of Spring Hill FL.

Last edited by Blue717; 07-05-2021 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: added sentence

Old 07-05-2021, 05:13 PM

786 posts, read 626,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’d add Venice and (west) Bradenton to your list. Vero Beach could also be a good option though I’m less familiar with it.

I think your concerns about Spring Hill are valid. I didn’t see you mention sinkholes, but that’s a significant problem there too. You need to really read up on them if you’re considering a home there because they’re common.

I’m not a huge fan of the North Port area. It’s not too bad, but not really good either. I think you can do better.

Palm Coast isn’t a bad choice at all, definitely worth considering. Titusville not so much.

I have lived in Vero for a few years. Its very retirement heavy and there is a very little middle class existence to speak of. Its mainly Super Rich, Rich, Poor, to dirt Poor. For someone in their 30s finding a job that one could support support themselves is difficult, a family... good luck. This is an area you really want to have a well paying remote job/line of work if you settle down there.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:53 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
For your information, St. Johns County is one of the wealthiest counties in the state of Florida. Interestingly enough, most of the wealth concentrated in St. Johns County is organic, since the Jacksonville metropolitan area is the highest-earning region in the state of Florida. Generally, transplants from up north do not settle in the Jacksonville metropolitan area because they perceive the region to be too backwards and cold, at least by Florida standards. Accordingly, employers in the Jacksonville metropolitan area offer some of the most competitive salaries and wages in the entire state.

Additionally, St. Johns County has the most highly ranked public school system in the entire state. Again, this ideal situation is the result of the fact that many of residents of St. Johns County are either Florida natives or white-collar professionals who were transferred to that area by their companies of employment. Generally, natives and white-collar transplants with children are much more heavily invested in local public schools than 75-year-old snowbirds from Michigan or New York.

In addition to its long coastline on the Atlantic Ocean, heavily wooded natural setting and incredibly long, rich history, given that the county is seated by the oldest continuously inhabited city in North America, St. Augustine, the quality of life in St. Johns County is exceptionally high by Florida standards and should be where most transplants with children begin their search.

Finally, the demographics of St. Johns County are very homogenous, which is an important consideration in a state with a highly diverse population.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:54 AM

451 posts, read 456,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
I have lived in Vero for a few years. Its very retirement heavy and there is a very little middle class existence to speak of. Its mainly Super Rich, Rich, Poor, to dirt Poor. For someone in their 30s finding a job that one could support support themselves is difficult, a family... good luck. This is an area you really want to have a well paying remote job/line of work if you settle down there.
I agree that Vero isn't the place for young ambitious workers unless they have a skill that they can exploit in this particular enviornment, but the middle class statement is way off. The Vero/Sebastian MSC is mostly middle class.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
If you aspire to manage a fast food restaurant or retail store at $15 an hour, it can easily be done in Florida if you have any kind of work ethic at all and are drug free and show up on time.

The problem is in the $50k to $100k+ level jobs that are found in corporate work environments. The HR, accounting, public relations, data analysts, etc. Florida just doesn't have a lot of corporate headquarters with diversified economies. There's nothing like an Atlanta or Dallas or Boston or Chicago here. Jacksonville is probably closest to a truly diversified economy away from services and tourism. Miami is starting to diversify into tech and finance more but the cost of living make it a non-starter for many.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:32 PM

236 posts, read 900,818 times
Default Palm Coast vs Spring Hill

If you are still looking for opinions...As one who has owned homes in both, there is no contest. Spring Hell is a better name for a reason. Yes in the last 15 years it has gotten more run down. I still own 1 home in SH, cant wait until the guys lease is up so I can get rid of it. These gulf side beaches are nothing like what you think of when you go to the beach. The water is usally mucky. You walk through the muck at the bottom, and it gets super warm in the dead of summer. There is also not alot of beach. I'm speaking of the Weeki Watchi park. The Hernando beach is really just a hole with some water and a little man made pile of sand. I had also met the most dishonest contractor and city officals in my life while living in this town. To say the least I am not fond of it. Palm Coast, its a nice town, pleasant parks, outdoor events and the effort of trying to be a community, shopping is ok, restaurants are lacking except for fast food unless you go beachside, where there are some mighty fine places to dine. Palm Coast is growing rapidly, if you think this is a good place I would act quickly before the prices goes through the roof of a 12 story building. They are planning on adding several 1000's of homes and semi detached within the next few years. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-28-2022, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 16,353 times
If your still looking (May 2021), I CAN help. Have lived & worked MA, RI, CT, NY, CA, TX, FL, moved 29 times & have 5 licensed professions from education, law enforcement, construction, real estate, to local, state, & federal gov't. I've put 4 kids thru' colleges in N.E. 2nd tier Ivy colleges, & recently retired from hi school teaching the last 20 yrs in FL. I started coming to FL at 10 y.o. to vaca with my aunt who owned a good chunk of west coast FL real estate from St Pete to Spring Hill. At 50 y.o. with my youngest graduated from her bachelor's degree, I moved to FL using my Aunt's west coast cattle ranch in Pasco Cnty as my home base for a year while I "did" 1 coastal county at a time looking for the best place to work (any of the above professions), play (single), sail (I'm a neurotic), play my cello in a local symphony, and ride my bike safely. In your request, your needs cover all stages of life, and as the City motto says "The City for All Ages" - Port St Lucie covers all the bases. For the young family, they will want good jobs (FL's biggest RV sales place is in St Lucie Cnty), the beaches, family fun opportunities, & most of all good public schools. You also need good job opportunities (4 national companies moving in just this year during the pandemic yet!), as well as an active & convenient social life. And your folks need convenient medical facilities, activities for seniors, easy & endless variety of shopping, restaurants, privacy, safety, easy driving. Port St Lucie is 200+ sq miles of a beautiful, clean, safe, convenient city that has a home town feel. There are presently single family homes on 1/3 acre starting at $225k to $500, empty lots at $100K to a million. There are palatial homes into the millions, 1 in Dec. selling for $7.5 millio! There are many homes that are not in gated communities that are in very attractive neighborhoods with no HOA fees. I have an 8 rm home with pool, and as I am eligible for 2 Homestead exemptions, a senior exemption, & a widow's exemption, I pay $1000 prop. tax! Google CityofPSL.com for an efficient summary of everything...a very well run City & County. PSL has garnered more top 10 awards than any other city in FL. I personally would not consider the west coast of FL at all because of the red tide & blue green algae & humidity. Many west coast friends have had to move inland b'cz of illness caused by inhaling the red tide fumes. Nowhere in the state does more to combat pollution than the Treasure Coast. Indian River Cnty (Vero Beach) and Martin Cnty (Stuart) are north & south of St Lucie Cnty. Both are very nice, but probably too pricey for what you want right now. All 3 counties are on the Intracoastal Waterway which like every body of water in the US is fighting pollution problems caused mostly by fertilizer run-off & leaky septic tanks. St Lucie County has the cleanest port on the east coast of FL thanks to the beautiful natural inlet in Fort Pierce. Port St Lucie city has more city sewerage than any other on the east coast. Hurricanes are a problem wherever you live in FL if one is over the state, with south of Martin Cnty the most impacted. PSL hasn't had a direct hit in 16 years, & we heightened the building code to Miami standards in the mid 1990's. Houses are built to withstand 150 mph sustained winds. Flooding is neighborhood by neighborhood all over FL. FL has been exemplary in updating Flood zones maps for FEMA when requested, & unlike so many N.E.states has therefore kept Flood insurance rates reasonable. BTW, the Treasure Coast has no limestone to wear away enabling sinkholes like the west coast of FL. Let me know here if u need more comments on anywhere, & good luck!

Old 02-04-2022, 07:21 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Check out Tallahassee, seems like a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida