U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 06:17 AM

12,150 posts, read 3,911,155 times

Advertisements

Barring a war, natural disaster, or economic collapse, the home prices in Florida will continue to trend upward year after year; when exponential smoothing is applied.

There may be years here and there where there's a minor decline, but those will be offset by years with more increases.

Eventually, overcrowding will slow it down, but that's 10+ years from now in most places. IMHO, when you see developers going vertical, there's overcrowding, but that's just me. Some like high population density...not me. I like to visit some places like that for a few days, but that's it for me. To each, his own.

The best real estate deals are behind us, after the last housing bubble burst. It's all up from here, but the rate of price escalation will slow eventually.

If you are waiting to buy on a dip, you'll be waiting a long time, and the dip will not be anything like we had last time.

Life is too short to wait around for what might, or might not, occur. Buy now, and enjoy your life....if you can afford it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 06:36 AM

11,484 posts, read 15,668,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
While it would be nice to believe this, every post you make is hyper critical of everything Florida, and how great CT is.

Being critical is one thing, out right hate is another, especially when glorifying where you came from in comparison.

There are very few schools in the US that are of poor quality, despite the criticism, the US has a great education system. Spending does not and never will equal quality, can look at the DC school system for an example of that.

Seriously, unemployment benefits? A person can throw a rock and find a job same day in Florida. Jobs have always been available, if you need work, you can find it the same day.

CT has not even the fraction of the factors that Florida has to deal with when it comes to the environment. It is easy to proclaim you are an environmental leader when you are not really engaging in any industry that has a negative impact on the environment. The Port of Miami alone probably pollutes more than the entire state of CT.

The is FMLA. Given the amount of kids that get pumped out here, this does not seem to be an issue. Florida ranks higher in per capita births than CT does.

Do not see what this has to do with the state, it is a federal requirement, right?

CT also has among the least number of black people, which correlates to gun violence, lol. CT also does not get all the lovely visitors like for Spring Break, Memorial Day, etc, that brings the bottom of society out.

If restrictions like you listed were the answer, then the gun violence should trend accordingly, but it does not. There are states with hardly any restrictions that have even less gun violence than CT.

CT has a state income tax, you sort of left that one out. CT also is a fiscal basket case, whereas Florida is one of the most fiscally sound states in the US. CT's income tax is around 5%.

Having county government is seriously a complaint?

Tolls, is CT even big enough? lol. What is great about Florida is that if you do not want to take a toll, then there are plenty of other practical options.

Wages depends on your industry. I took zero pay cut coming from DC area to Miami, but actually got an increase thanks to no state income tax and a lower COL.

Money goes much further in Florida, mainly housing. Yes, I use to live in CT also, I am no stranger to the state.

I voted for the increase, because the fed gov seems they will never stop letting immigrants, legal and illegal, from flooding in and flooding the low skilled pool, thus suppressing wages. So must force the issue.

Problem is, all these safety nets cause fiscal issues, like what CT, IL, and other safety net states are going through. I feel the investment in the public good is good enough, and desire no more into it. All it will do is turn it into some fiscal crisis other states are going through. No thanks. if someone desires such social nets, by all means, move to a state that has them.
Unemployment benefits absolutely matter. What do you expect me to just take any low wage job available?? That's ridiculous. I have specific skills and pay expectations in my profession and am not going to just settle for any retail or restaurant job that doesn't PAY enough to live. People have to be qualified and interested in the jobs they do.

Also, yes, gun laws DO work. You're not comparing apples with apples. CT previously allowed for unlimited ammo magazines and gun deaths were much higher. After limiting them, the gun deaths reduced big time. The law works. You're comparing to other states that did NOTHING with their gun laws and saying that CT gun laws don't work. That's ridiculous.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:48 AM

3,761 posts, read 8,004,096 times
We are in the market for a second home in Fort Lauderdale - where our extended family is based. We’ve been aggressively looking for months and just spent a month there house hunting. We got nothing but aggravated. We put in at least 6 offers, many 24 hours after listing and over asking.

We will keep looking as we have a very limited geographic area, but are tired. I have to think we’re not alone and this frenzy will subside - especially after a full hurricane season and folks called back to the office for hybrid work model. I’m already laughing at some of the homes I’ve seen sold- there is going to be a lot of buyers remorse with some of these purchases.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:58 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,613,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Barring a war, natural disaster, or economic collapse, the home prices in Florida will continue to trend upward year after year; when exponential smoothing is applied.

There may be years here and there where there's a minor decline, but those will be offset by years with more increases.

Eventually, overcrowding will slow it down, but that's 10+ years from now in most places. IMHO, when you see developers going vertical, there's overcrowding, but that's just me. Some like high population density...not me. I like to visit some places like that for a few days, but that's it for me. To each, his own.

The best real estate deals are behind us, after the last housing bubble burst. It's all up from here, but the rate of price escalation will slow eventually.

If you are waiting to buy on a dip, you'll be waiting a long time, and the dip will not be anything like we had last time.

Life is too short to wait around for what might, or might not, occur. Buy now, and enjoy your life....if you can afford it.
You of all persons should know better, given your rebutted falsehoods in the following thread. The thread, especially post 143, explains why. Coastal inundation will impact not only coastal development, but greatly diminish the quality of life in Florida and impair the state's economy. Florida may experience a foot of sea level rise or more by 2030.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...-money-15.html

Who will pay for all of the needed "resiliency" projects and infrastructure replacement?

Before buying a Florida residence, persons would be well advised to read John Englander's new book, "Moving to Higher Ground," and consider all of the implications of accelerating sea level rise. See post 63 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...lerates-7.html

As explained repeatedly in the first-linked thread, a major hurricane event could break the Florida residential insurance market and the Florida home mortgage market.

Here's some other new news for consideration. Remember that these changes are regional differentials. Warming in Minnesota has a very different impact than warming in Florida.

https://www.noaa.gov/news/new-us-cli...climate-change

This site projects climate change impacts for all U.S. counties.

https://projects.propublica.org/climate-migration/

https://www.propublica.org/article/c...ican-migration

Last edited by WRnative; 05-10-2021 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 07:03 AM

130 posts, read 82,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
We are in the market for a second home in Fort Lauderdale - where our extended family is based. We’ve been aggressively looking for months and just spent a month there house hunting. We got nothing but aggravated. We put in at least 6 offers, many 24 hours after listing and over asking.

We will keep looking as we have a very limited geographic area, but are tired. I have to think we’re not alone and this frenzy will subside - especially after a full hurricane season and folks called back to the office for hybrid work model. I’m already laughing at some of the homes I’ve seen sold- there is going to be a lot of buyers remorse with some of these purchases.
You’re not alone. We gave up the search already. Right now, we are just casually following the local market for our own awareness and track any trends.

I don’t even mind paying the high market value, if the house is what we really want. But I didn’t want to settle for house #47 on our list or something like that.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:10 AM

3,761 posts, read 8,004,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
You’re not alone. We gave up the search already. Right now, we are just casually following the local market for our own awareness and track any trends.

I don’t even mind paying the high market value, if the house is what we really want. But I didn’t want to settle for house #47 on our list or something like that.
Exactly! When we started rationalizing and settling, we pulled the brakes.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:10 AM

12,939 posts, read 4,006,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Actually, I LIKE Florida. It's my #1 desired state to live in and fortunately I live here now. And I like Jacksonville. I actually WANT to be here.

But that doesn't mean I can't be critical of where I live. I am not saying that FL has to be just like CT. But there are certain things that CT had that I wish FL had. For example, excellent public schools in general. CT school curriculum is much more advanced and teachers are actually paid quite well. CT has much more robust unemployment benefits. Maximum of $275 per week is a joke. CT pays up to $667 per week. This was a life saver for me when I lost my job four years ago (back then the max was $598). But if I lost my job in FL, I'd be much more screwed and have to severely deplete my savings. CT does a much better job at handling environmental matters. CT also has statewide paid leave benefits for maternal/paternal leave and family medical leave. FL has nothing! CT has a higher health insured rate whereas Florida has 800,000 people with no healthcare, which is a disgrace. CT also has better, stricter gun laws, with limitations on magazine rounds and it reduced gun deaths by a whopping 40% in the state since 2012.

CT has a lower sales tax, no county governments, no tolls and the cost of vehicle registration is 1/4 of what it is in Florida! And wages are much higher in CT. I took an 18% pay cut for a very similar job here in FL. Same niche career field. Same career level. 18% less pay. Smh. And the cost of living in FL is only slightly lower than CT.

I do believe that in some respects, Florida is moving in the right direction though. For example we recently passed the $15 minimum wage by voter referendum (61% voted in favor)!

I just think FL would be even better to live in with enhanced social safety nets and stronger investment in the public good. But I still like it here for the WARMTH most of the year and the beautiful subtropical lush greenery most of the year.
So you love Florida but you don't like the politics is the bottom line. People move there BECAUSE it's not NY, NJ, California or Illinois. You are the classic example of what people fear, liberals moving there and voting in the policies they fled from.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:20 AM

12,939 posts, read 4,006,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post

I hate to say this. I understand the tired. I looked a lot and made one offer which was a 1/2 day too late and lost the house I really wanted so I settled for a different house. I wouldn't have even gotten that had I not been shown the house before it went on the market. I don't know why the realtor did that for me but she did. Just pure blind luck.

We settled because the timing is right for us and we need to go NOW or wait 3 years.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:55 AM

352 posts, read 318,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Actually, I LIKE Florida. It's my #1 desired state to live in and fortunately I live here now. And I like Jacksonville. I actually WANT to be here.

But that doesn't mean I can't be critical of where I live. I am not saying that FL has to be just like CT. But there are certain things that CT had that I wish FL had. For example, excellent public schools in general. CT school curriculum is much more advanced and teachers are actually paid quite well. CT has much more robust unemployment benefits. Maximum of $275 per week is a joke. CT pays up to $667 per week. This was a life saver for me when I lost my job four years ago (back then the max was $598). But if I lost my job in FL, I'd be much more screwed and have to severely deplete my savings. CT does a much better job at handling environmental matters. CT also has statewide paid leave benefits for maternal/paternal leave and family medical leave. FL has nothing! CT has a higher health insured rate whereas Florida has 800,000 people with no healthcare, which is a disgrace. CT also has better, stricter gun laws, with limitations on magazine rounds and it reduced gun deaths by a whopping 40% in the state since 2012.

CT has a lower sales tax, no county governments, no tolls and the cost of vehicle registration is 1/4 of what it is in Florida! And wages are much higher in CT. I took an 18% pay cut for a very similar job here in FL. Same niche career field. Same career level. 18% less pay. Smh. And the cost of living in FL is only slightly lower than CT.

I do believe that in some respects, Florida is moving in the right direction though. For example we recently passed the $15 minimum wage by voter referendum (61% voted in favor)!

I just think FL would be even better to live in with enhanced social safety nets and stronger investment in the public good. But I still like it here for the WARMTH most of the year and the beautiful subtropical lush greenery most of the year.
Advanced curriculum? Like what exactly. Anything prior to like 11th grade is all the same.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:03 AM

31 posts, read 9,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Another 2008 is coming in a few years. Wait it out nate.
Dave Ramsey disagrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8B-...how-Highlights

Reasons why it isn't a housing bubble:

1) People are leaving urban areas. The value of urban areas has been destroyed by various mayors and governors. This is mostly blue mayors and governors (riots and closures).

2) Many jobs are remote enabled now, more than ever. These workers prior to 2020 were in high state income tax states, such as NY, CT, MN, NJ, OR and CA.

3) The states in #2 aren't empty yet.

4) There's a decade of sluggish housing construction to catch up on. This will take years, especially with the current labor and supply problems.

5) The heart of the Millennials generation are of marrying/child having & rearing age. They want houses.

6) The lending requirements are more stringent than pre-2008. These are qualified buyers.

7) Employers are leaving the states in #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida