Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2021, 06:46 AM

225 posts, read 178,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
But wasn't it lost traction in South Florida amongst Democrats that titled things in favor for Trump? Of course, they're still blue, but that shift was enough to change the trajectory.

Anyway, I stand by my belief that regardless of one's viewpoints, you can find your tribe in any place. While overall the county votes blue, Orlando (Orange County) has plenty of staunch conservatives.

But I think it is healthier for all of us to coexist.
I agree completely, but however, I would submit this nation is already in a "civil war", just without armies and bloodshed. If we can't, or won't see that in this nation, we are truly sticking our heads in the sand.

We are in a "battle" of policy, ethics, family and foundational values, safety, standards, personal responsibility, cultural values, and fiscal policy, and education at the minimum.

We coexist because we must, but also submit we're already hardly "united". It's becoming more pronounced not more nuanced.

Just closely examine what one group is consumed with being "woke", which is hardly rational by many measures. You can't get any more intentionally divisive for a mature society.

If you can't see the negative ramifications and unintended consequences of "diversity and inclusion" gone wild, then you're pretty myopic.

Corporations are also becoming mislead in the "woke movement". Don't believe me? Do your own informal arm-chair survey/test in order get a small "feel" of imbalance..

Do this, I have:

Sit down in front of your television for a couple of hours, maybe off and on, with a notepad and pen, and make a list of a wide range of commercials and services.

What I discovered, repeating this exercise off and on over two weeks on a variety of networks, that "Minority American Citizens" are now, completely "over-represented" viz the current demography of most of the United States of America. This obvious over-representation is the intentional indoctrination, not necessarily by the Companies themselves, but certainly by "Madison Avenue" and a very small group of marketing and advertisement designers who are "selling" a false image of current society and "selling" a "mirage" or what THEY consider an ideal, purpose or even a "goal". It's done very slickly and sometimes "in your face".

Succinctly, by examining closely most of the commercials now on television on a continuum, I almost concluded that "Blacks,Africans,Afro-Americans, etc." must somehow constitute well over 40% of the "population". The "over-representation" that I witnessed and documented was startling and unlike any time in the history of television advertising. I found this somewhat odd, given "Blacks, African, Afro-Americans" only constitute about 14% of The United States of America's total population. "Hispanics" constitute a much higher percentage (and growing) of over 18%, but I found "Hispanics" portrayed on most commercials were grossly UNDER-represented.

I thought, why is that? what's the purpose? what is Madison Avenue conveying? what is their "messaging"? These images are glaring, but certainly not offensive to me. But the reality I discovered is that I could not turn on the television without seeing a very high number of "black actors" in commercials 24/7/365 - across most disparate trade lines such as Ford, Spectrum, BIG PHARMA (perhaps 6 companies), Cadillac, Liberty Mutual, Cricket, Verizon, Google, Cigna, Carmax, Invesco, Vick's, FedEx, Winn-Dixie, Walmart, Amazon, Aetna, and many more that I documented.

This is what I found as described above. It's not embellished, I had no agenda or preconceived thesis, but what is abundantly clear is that "Madison Avenue" and their corporate clients do have a distorted, projected image being "sold" to viewers.

As a sidenote only, I found another/similar "over-representation" and distortion in the vast number of commercials that depicted "interracial couples/relationships" especially between "Blacks, Africans,Afro Americans" and Caucasians, and to a much lesser degree with "Hispanics".

My conclusion is that we are being sold a bill of goods about the depth of coexistence, and in some cases, simply lied to - for some strange reasons.

Turn on your own television AND other media and you too will *see*.

Last edited by SkyperTyper; 12-05-2021 at 07:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 07:15 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyperTyper View Post
I agree completely, but however, I would submit this nation is already in a "civil war", just without armies and bloodshed. If we can't, or won't see that in this nation, we are truly sticking our heads in the sand.

We are in a "battle" of policy, ethics, family and foundational values, safety, standards, personal responsibility, cultural values, and fiscal policy, and education at the minimum.

We coexist because we must, but also submit we're already hardly "united". It's becoming more pronounced not more nuanced.

Just closely examine what one group is consumed with being "woke", which is hardly rational by many measures. You can't get any more intentionally divisive for a mature society.

If you can't see the negative ramifications and unintended consequences of "diversity and inclusion" gone wild, then you're pretty myopic.

The fact that you seem to see only the extremism on one side of the spectrum is part of the problem.

And the italic text at the bottom... Basically, "OMG....there are too many black people in commercials nowadays." Comments coming from what I assume to be the "I don't see color" crowd no less. Haha. Commercials and print ads with those types of casts/models have been around for years. But they usually were used during shows and print media targeted to Black people (i.e. BET, black majority cast shows on other channels, and print media like Essence magazine). Ford, GM, McDonald's, etc. have plenty of ads with Black casts going back to the 1970s that you've probably never seen if your media consumption did not include the aforementioned content. But now they are appearing more on mid-day soap operas, prime-time cable news, Law & Order, The Bachelor, sports games, etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...tising/394958/

Old 12-06-2021, 07:42 AM

225 posts, read 178,371 times
I never ever stated: "OMG there are too many black people in commercials nowadays"

I was setting forth a cogent, but unscientific discovery that I performed without pre-judging ANY outcomes!

What I discovered, plainly and clearly, that Madison Avenue consultants and advertisers in re their Corporate clients, have casted an obvious over-representation (actors/actresses) of "Blacks,African-Americans, AfroAmericans" viz percentages to actual US populations.

I found that my unscientific exercise and discovery exposed glaring misrepresentations targeting television viewers across the spectrum of broadcasters and television productions with respect to "racial groupings" currently in the United States.

I also found a similar mis-representation/over-representation viz actual percentages-to-population, now with homosexuals, homosexual couples, both male and female. All done by Madison Avenue mind you, not necessarily developed by Corporations themselves.

You also stated above:

"Commercials and print ads with those types of casts/models have been around for years."

My response to this is this claim seems irrelevant and clearly false. My discovery was that these Madison Avenue "influencings" through patently skewed "castings" has obviously increased in depth and breath across massive trade lines like NEVER before. Madison Avenue is "casting" an agenda and warped reflection of US society, culture and true minority presence and participation. The question for me is "why"? To what end is Madison Avenue "selling" this false and inaccurate "image"?

For instance, if the US consumer population of Hispanics/non-white/Spanish Speaking has grown exponentially in the past 7-10 years, why does Madison Avenue and their Corporate clients fail to "cast" an increase of their "visual presence" on a wide variety of commercials. At the same time, with "Black" population in the US at only a steady 14%, "Blacks", based on MY survey and discovery, are far, far more omnipresent across the entire media landscape.

Asian consumers have also greatly increased in percentages-to-population in the US, and seem to be the fastest-growing "minority group". Again, Madison Avenue provides distorted images viz televised commercial representation. Why is that?

I also mentioned over-representation on television commercials of "Mixed-Race" relationships, marriages, families/children or associations. I discovered and documented across trade lines such as restaurants, pharma, furniture sales, and even vehicle manufacturing/sales.

I'm not "selling" anything in my discovery and sharing my results. I believe my results of exposing this obvious "mis-representation" is not accidental...but again, "why" ?

I would encourage anyone else to turn on their own television, pay close attention to a very broad range of Corporate commercials by Madison Avenue, and examine closely what YOU see, versus what you know through the facts, and of course, common sense.

That way, you can come to your own conclusion. I am willing to bet big money that if you have you eyes and ears open, you might get an "education" in re indoctrination.

Have at it ! Go for it! turn that TV on!

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by SkyperTyper; 12-06-2021 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-07-2021, 03:23 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
So, still, basically, "too many black people in these ads" or perhaps just the lighter "I'm noticing more black people."

If you've watched BET, the Essence Awards, the NAACP Awards, the couple of nationally televised HBCU football games, majority black-cast TV shows, etc. going back to the 1990s, most of the commercials were cast with black characters sans the interracial couples. Those commercials are appearing more in "mainstream" programming as opposed to programming targeted toward African-Americans.

So, you are correct in that there is an increase in the display of ads with diverse casts in the past couple of years. I guess what I was getting at is that diverse casts aren't a new thing. Media just saved them for shows and channels (see above) that they thought black people spent most of their viewing time.

But to keep the post on topic :-), the OP can find their tribe in a metropolitan area and perhaps learn to coexist with people with whom they disagree on a handful of issues.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Being woke is a GOOD thing. Being woke simply means that you are alert to injustice of society, especially racism. Not being woke means you bury your head in the sand because you choose to be ignorant of these real issues.

Wokeness matters. I am woke.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCelestrin86 View Post
Hi, my family and I are planning to move. We were thinking about Tennessee bc of cheaper houses and it's mostly a red state. Seems like that is shifting which is very sad. We're from the Miami/homestead area. We want move somewhere that is a small town and definitely conservative. I read a little bit that the panhandle is pretty red. If so, what are the price ranges in housing. I know the housing market is crazy too.
Wait a minute. You're mad that Tennessee trended slightly more blue, so you're looking to Florida instead? Ummm you do realize that Tennessee was R +23 and Florida was only R +3, right?

Florida is far less conservative than Tennessee.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:12 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wait a minute. You're mad that Tennessee trended slightly more blue, so you're looking to Florida instead? Ummm you do realize that Tennessee was R +23 and Florida was only R +3, right?

Florida is far less conservative than Tennessee.
I agree. I'm from Missouri and Missouri is much more to the right than Florida is. Especially on firearms rights, abortion, and other social issues It's more like TN than FL.

Outside of Stl, KC, and Columbia, Missouri is heavily Republican. Trump blows it out.

The Republicans here in FL are also more moderate as well when compared to a place like Missouri or Tennessee. Even TN at the state level has some RINOS. Look how long constitutional carry took to pass there compared to MO that did it a few years before them.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I agree. I'm from Missouri and Missouri is much more to the right than Florida is. Especially on firearms rights, abortion, and other social issues It's more like TN than FL.

Outside of Stl, KC, and Columbia, Missouri is heavily Republican. Trump blows it out.

The Republicans here in FL are also more moderate as well when compared to a place like Missouri or Tennessee. Even TN at the state level has some RINOS. Look how long constitutional carry took to pass there compared to MO that did it a few years before them.
Yikes. I've been living in Jacksonville, FL for 4 years now and think it's backwards and too conservative. I can barely handle it. But I am from Connecticut, so...

Old 12-13-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yikes. I've been living in Jacksonville, FL for 4 years now and think it's backwards and too conservative. I can barely handle it. But I am from Connecticut, so...
Jacksonville has a military presence as well which factors in and to the north of it is pretty rural as well, hence more conservative than larger places like Orlando or Tampa.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDude View Post
I would give Jax 10-20 years and those rural areas will be mostly gone. I feel sorry for the guys who want a rural lifestyle, they will be pushed more inland as time goes on since the land will become houses.

Also food for thought: Conservatives from the Northeast don't normally like Rednecks/Southern/Rural folks and prefer they don't come to their area unless they are fixing something in their house. Rich/Rural folks might vote the same but they act differently.

In the P&C section of City Data I saw people hating you like there's no tomorrow. Just a FYI.
Republicans from the North East are what's called RINOS.

Rush Limbaugh has a term for those types of Republicans. He calls them Country Club Republicans. The types you'd meet here in Florida in the southern part of the state around wealthy people.

More moderate and liberal on social issues and right wing on tax issues.

Like the typical Republican in South FL would be considered a big time RINO in Tennessee or Missouri. They wouldn't win a primary up there or somewhere in Idaho for example.

When you think about it Trump fits that mold too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida