Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 17,618 times

Advertisements

we live in mobile home park; new owners and we asked for a rent reciept and he said no. we dont have to give you one. does anybody know if we have a right to get a reciept for our rent paid in fl. and he looses checks on us and makes us stop payment on them and issue him another check. when he is having them sent to flagler then forwarded to michigan then sends them back to a bank in flagler. so if they dont make we have to pay for stop payment on them then give him another check. does anybody know if this is against the law or wrong and what can we do? or just keep putting up with it. or stop paying rent and put in escrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:30 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,493,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraces View Post
we live in mobile home park; new owners and we asked for a rent reciept and he said no. we dont have to give you one. does anybody know if we have a right to get a reciept for our rent paid in fl. and he looses checks on us and makes us stop payment on them and issue him another check. when he is having them sent to flagler then forwarded to michigan then sends them back to a bank in flagler. so if they dont make we have to pay for stop payment on them then give him another check. does anybody know if this is against the law or wrong and what can we do? or just keep putting up with it. or stop paying rent and put in escrow.
As a former landlord in FL my advice is to call the Consumer Affairs Office in your city/county on landlord/tenant laws where you live, and explain what this guy is doing and they can advise you...do not stop paying your rent or he can take you to court.

If the guy refuses to give you a rent receipt there is something shady going on here. Do you own the mobile home and paying lot rent or renting the mobile home? If you are just renting the mobile home my advice is find another place to live and get away from this person, it seems to me he is a shady/dishonest person. In the mean time talk to the people at the Consumers Affairs Office.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,618 times
Cool mobile home park

we do own the home in this park. along with other elder folks. he has four rental in the park he rents . for us to sell we have people fill back ground check and he just rents or with option to buy. but for us they must buy it out right. i will contact contact the consumer affairs office . good place to start. he has said already at a meeting that if you dont like it here move. not as easy done as said at this time. just to leave your investment behind. we new he was shady landlord when no reciept then tell people they are behind on there rent and then tell them to prove they are paid up. then we have to go to the bank and some time go back to the beginning. thats why we need reciept. would be no mixup. we have had to many lost checks in this park . we have had acouple of people that has issued another check to him just to have them both cashed. and two of these people at the time cost them money because it made there other checks bad. and he told them to bad watch your check book. not my problem.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,243 times
Sounds like you are renting lot space from a crook. I presume you own the mobile home but rent the space that it sits on.
Dopcument everything.
Keep records of dates and times of conversation and what was said if possible. Just write it down somewhere if nothing else.
Stop payment on any check the landlord said he has lost.
Keep bank statements and/or canceled checks.
Would it be possible to move your home to another park somewhere?
Your landlord is up to no good and probably thinks no one will challenge him.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraces View Post
I will suggest using cashier checks from your bank or credit union (normally free) and they will type all the info on the check and you have receipt...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,493,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I will suggest using cashier checks from your bank or credit union (normally free) and they will type all the info on the check and you have receipt...
Excellent idea, if the guy loses the check they can make him eat his own words by telling him...not my problem.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,285 times
I'd also tell the guy to request the replacement check in writing (this gives you proof that it is a recurring problem) and make him pay the stop check fees. There is definately something shady going on and I'd get the authorities involved ASAP.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Sounds like you are renting lot space from a crook. I presume you own the mobile home but rent the space that it sits on.
Dopcument everything.
Keep records of dates and times of conversation and what was said if possible. Just write it down somewhere if nothing else.
Stop payment on any check the landlord said he has lost.
Keep bank statements and/or canceled checks.
Would it be possible to move your home to another park somewhere?
Your landlord is up to no good and probably thinks no one will challenge him.
By all means!!!!! Pay only by cashier's check!!! Document EVERYTHING!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 14,069 times
I rent a lot for my owned mobile home.i have a livein caregiver dr. Ordered.my landlord wants them out.how can she deny my medical needs.i can no longer live alone due to failed back surgery and major depression.landlord says caregiver has to pass a credit check.does she have a right to ask for this?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,069 times
Smile Mobile home park

Can my landlord stop me from having a livein caregiver that is dr. Ordered and medically needed.landlord says the caregivers have to pass a credit check and background check.why?i pay and am responsible for all bills.i do know that my landlord is a power and control nut.they bully and harass all tenants that don't go along with what they want.i've been told on numerus ocasions if i don.t like it just get out.they even told me i had to come back and live in my home while i was out of state recooping from a major back surgery or get out. So i did in order to save my home.they want to control every aspect of my life and the harrasment and bullieing has gone to far.what can i do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida