Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 15,299 times

Advertisements

[Yes, another 'moving to Florida' thread!]

Hi everyone,

Back ground:
My wife and I do not like the direction Canada and the provinces are going since covid, We hold strong beliefs of liberty, individual freedom, are devout Christians, and we are largely outnumbered. Texas and Florida are strong prospects for us. We have been talking this over for almost a year now and are ready to make the move. The last time I had been to Florida was about ten years ago. Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and Jacksonville were places we had visited. We didn't have children back then

Teaching Prospects:
I am aware that Florida has a shortage of teachers, and I have begun my application process. I do know that it takes upwards of 6 months for approval so we would start the next school year- which gives us plenty of time to come visit during our time off. I am also aware the pay is not as great as my tenure here, but, my wife and I are excellent at budgeting so we'll be able to make it work. Also, because there is no income tax in your state, we actually are almost on par after the amount of income tax we pay plus other dues.

Communities/Counties:
My wife and I would be looking to rent. We'll be selling our home, and will rent for the time being.

Are there any specific counties that you would strongly recommend or avoid?

We had originally been looking near Sarasota? Or should we stay more North in Florida?

Any teachers that have positive experiences with certain counties?

We are a simple family and enjoy the little things in life so we do not need to be in the center of entertainment. Beach days with the kids, is more than ample for us.

I believe I have asked important questions- please feel free to let add or suggest anything!

Thank you for taking the time to enter my thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 06:25 AM

118 posts, read 96,761 times
Please know that there are plenty of US citizens who are already certified state teachers, and we damn sure don't need any more non-US citizens here in The State of Florida competing for jobs to feed their families and contribute to this great nation.

If you're a USA citizen, that's another story. Fine. You can move any where you wish.

Florida is getting over-populated from people(citizens) all over the USA now, esp the northeast and even California. The migration patterns are becoming a real negative concern.

Frankly, the last thing we need here in Florida is more foreign legal or illegal immigration, either from Mexico, Honduras, Haiti, Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba, Nicaragua, VENEZUELA, Ukraine (yes they're here all over Sarasota County), CHINA, or even Canada.

We, here in FL, just experienced a deluge of legal US citizens from Puerto Rico over the past 2 years. They are re-located now all around Orlando and Tampa. The total of the US citizens from Puerto Rico totaled around 200k.

If you're a Canadian, productive citizen, I would suggest you stay in Canada and work very hard to improve or positively affect daily life and political life in your own wonderful democratic country, an important ally to the great United States of America.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
Please know that there are plenty of US citizens who are already certified state teachers, and we damn sure don't need any more non-US citizens here in The State of Florida competing for jobs to feed their families and contribute to this great nation.

If you're a USA citizen, that's another story. Fine. You can move any where you wish.

Florida is getting over-populated from people(citizens) all over the USA now, esp the northeast and even California. The migration patterns are becoming a real negative concern.

Frankly, the last thing we need here in Florida is more foreign legal or illegal immigration, either from Mexico, Honduras, Haiti, Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba, Nicaragua, VENEZUELA, Ukraine (yes they're here all over Sarasota County), CHINA, or even Canada.

We, here in FL, just experienced a deluge of legal US citizens from Puerto Rico over the past 2 years. They are re-located now all around Orlando and Tampa. The total of the US citizens from Puerto Rico totaled around 200k.

If you're a Canadian, productive citizen, I would suggest you stay in Canada and work very hard to improve or positively affect daily life and political life in your own wonderful democratic country, an important ally to the great United States of America.
Ouch. From my research there are a large portion of jobs not being filled. Thanks for the reply and perspective.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:19 AM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
On behalf of Florida, the United States, and nice people everywhere, I apologize for the xenophobic response to your intelligent inquiry.

I live on the central west coast and it certainly is different from the east coast. IMHO, much of the middle and southern east coast has a NYC vibe, whilst the west coast, especially above Naples, has more a mid-west, Chicago vibe.

As has been stated, the I-10 corridor mirrors the states just north of Florida so that you get a more Mississippi, Alabama and Georgic influence in the north, especially along the panhandle.

And again, we would welcome you here.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE2021 View Post
[Yes, another 'moving to Florida' thread!]

Hi everyone,

Back ground:
My wife and I do not like the direction Canada and the provinces are going since covid, We hold strong beliefs of liberty, individual freedom, are devout Christians, and we are largely outnumbered. Texas and Florida are strong prospects for us. We have been talking this over for almost a year now and are ready to make the move. The last time I had been to Florida was about ten years ago. Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and Jacksonville were places we had visited. We didn't have children back then

Teaching Prospects:
I am aware that Florida has a shortage of teachers, and I have begun my application process. I do know that it takes upwards of 6 months for approval so we would start the next school year- which gives us plenty of time to come visit during our time off. I am also aware the pay is not as great as my tenure here, but, my wife and I are excellent at budgeting so we'll be able to make it work. Also, because there is no income tax in your state, we actually are almost on par after the amount of income tax we pay plus other dues.

Communities/Counties:
My wife and I would be looking to rent. We'll be selling our home, and will rent for the time being.

Are there any specific counties that you would strongly recommend or avoid?

We had originally been looking near Sarasota? Or should we stay more North in Florida?

Any teachers that have positive experiences with certain counties?

We are a simple family and enjoy the little things in life so we do not need to be in the center of entertainment. Beach days with the kids, is more than ample for us.

I believe I have asked important questions- please feel free to let add or suggest anything!

Thank you for taking the time to enter my thread.
You will be welcome here. https://www.martinschools.org/ https://skyward.iscorp.com/scripts/w...l/rapplmnu03.w
Conservative county and you will find many places of your choosing, for worship.
https://christfellowship.church/locations/stuart

DM me if you want more information.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,299,262 times
Could you add in some more detail about what you're looking for out of a community?

I think Sarasota could be a good fit for you, but based on what you've said a lot of places could be a good fit.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:50 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
It sounds like you're more Libertarian (think ME, VT and NH) versus GOP which runs a platform pretty far to the right in recent years. I'm making the distinction so you don't wind up in an area populated by a group that largely doesn't get along with anyone but like-minded individuals. As an educator who most likely believes in science and not rewriting history to suit your agenda, I would steer you toward more progressive red counties here, and yes there is such a thing. Check out top-rated school districts such as Brevard County (Melbourne-Palm Bay-Titusville), Sarasota County (Sarasota-North Port-Venice) and St John's County (St Augustine-Nocatee-Ponte Vedra) which is the top-ranked school district in the state.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
I would welcome anyone to FL who seeks freedom and personal liberty, and who will vote accordingly and assimilate into the local culture. We need more people like that here!

As for teaching jobs, they are plentiful but low paying. People move here for the weather primarily, not the high paying jobs. Keep that in mind. I would focus on the more affordable parts of the state, which would be above I-4 and into the panhandle. You will also find it easier to practice your faith in these areas. Suggestions would be the Jacksonville area, Pensacola and most any area along I-10. It all depends on if you want to be in the city, the suburbs or the country.
My family have been long admirers of American culture growing up, and I know we'd assimilate with ease thank you for the kind words

Above I-4 and into the panhandle, (with suggestions of Jacksonville area, Pensacola, and along I-10). Noted! Suburbs would be preferred. If I could have one request, could you please provide me a short pros and cons list of the Jacksonville area and/or Pensacola? From your personal experience if you have any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
On behalf of Florida, the United States, and nice people everywhere, I apologize for the xenophobic response to your intelligent inquiry.

I live on the central west coast and it certainly is different from the east coast. IMHO, much of the middle and southern east coast has a NYC vibe, whilst the west coast, especially above Naples, has more a mid-west, Chicago vibe.

As has been stated, the I-10 corridor mirrors the states just north of Florida so that you get a more Mississippi, Alabama and Georgic influence in the north, especially along the panhandle.

And again, we would welcome you here.
Thank you very much Lillie that means a lot to me

Gotcha. Seems like the northern panhandle areas may be top in our list. During our research we've been reading and watching the most on the northern parts and from the responses I've been getting it has been confirming this. Anything that resembles NYC (or Toronto) is definitely not desirable for us, so thank you for the comparison that is great for putting things into perspective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
You will be welcome here. https://www.martinschools.org/ https://skyward.iscorp.com/scripts/w...l/rapplmnu03.w
Conservative county and you will find many places of your choosing, for worship.
https://christfellowship.church/locations/stuart

DM me if you want more information.
Fantastic! Thank you Dave for the direct links, I will absolutely take you up on your offer and DM you for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Could you add in some more detail about what you're looking for out of a community?

I think Sarasota could be a good fit for you, but based on what you've said a lot of places could be a good fit.
Yes! We are simple people. #1 as long as it is a safe suburb/country, asides from that: local church, and some extra curriculars to do on the evenings or weekends with the family- is an A+ for us. Shopping malls, somewhat close to a beach, maybe a downtown scene to go for walks, local sporting events etc.

I have looked into Sarasota and northern Florida so it seems like I've been doing well with everyone suggesting these areas too! Could you give me some any experiences or opinions about Sarasota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It sounds like you're more Libertarian (think ME, VT and NH) versus GOP which runs a platform pretty far to the right in recent years. I'm making the distinction so you don't wind up in an area populated by a group that largely doesn't get along with anyone but like-minded individuals. As an educator who most likely believes in science and not rewriting history to suit your agenda, I would steer you toward more progressive red counties here, and yes there is such a thing. Check out top-rated school districts such as Brevard County (Melbourne-Palm Bay-Titusville), Sarasota County (Sarasota-North Port-Venice) and St John's County (St Augustine-Nocatee-Ponte Vedra) which is the top-ranked school district in the state.
Hi Kyle, yes we are Libertarian when it comes to individuals rights, personal privacy, property, and less government is better. However, we are very conservative when it comes to religion, traditional family, and fiscal policy. But I do understand your message and agree; we have no issue being with people who are not like-minded and enjoy diversity of thought and ideas.

Thank you very much for the list of counties that helps immensely! I will add those districts to the Sarasota notes, have a closer look for each district, and put them as our spots to visit during winter break. I am beyond grateful for everyone's suggestions and responses!

Last edited by JE2021; 08-31-2021 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-31-2021, 10:16 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,056,826 times
I think you're making a huge mistake, but you may not know it yet...

To my knowledge, Canadian school kids are a lot better behaved and take education much more seriously than American kids. You'll find this out very quickly if you follow through.

Teaching in a Red State compounds this even further for a myriad of reasons:

-- Stratification of wealth
-- Segregation
-- Low pay for teachers
-- overall lack of respect for the education profession
-- Nepotism taken to the extreme

And, if you think you're just going to waltz into the whitest part of the state (Bradenton, Sarasota, Naples) and land a job at a top-tier public school, you're dreaming! Those jobs are highly coveted and there is a waiting list. Additionally, there is a very strong Good Ol' Boy network that dominates the local school boards and helps their friends/family/relatives first and foremost. Nepotism is alive and well in places like that! Always has been. You will always play second fiddle to a native who is well-connected and entrenched in the district. Even if you have more education and more experience than a native, it will always be "them vs. you".

The district you apply to will lie to you and tell you "X" job is available, and then once you apply, they'll hold the interview and then give you a job offer in a low-performing school with absentee parents, a high proportion on free/reduced lunch, low test scores and lots of students with social maladjustment issues. You'll take it and think "oh, it's just a year and I can move up eventually"

...Uh huh

Last edited by apple92680; 08-31-2021 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-01-2021, 07:01 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
The OP sounds like someone I would love to have for a neighbor. We hear so much about illegal immigration into our country that I truly don't know how legal immigration is handled. Do Canada and the US have an agreement where citizens can move more freely into each country? How long does it take?

I'm not familiar with the panhandle but I live south of Sarasota and I think the area is fantastic! Of course, having the gorgeous gulf right there with different beach communitites is another plus for the area.

Btw, the high school kids in our area do very well and I always see them working fundraisers or working part time in stores. They seem like good kids.

Good luck in your search! I'm sure you'll get a lot of help from posters here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida