Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2021, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 2,127 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am looking to retire on the East Coast of Florida and was hoping to get some insights. I am looking for a city with:

* ample gluten-free and healthy food options
* great tennis facility
* liberal leaning
* near great scuba diving
* walkable
* bike trails

Currently, I am leaning toward the Jupiter area and Delray Beach. But I am open to suggestions.

Thank you,

Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 08:35 AM

642 posts, read 411,915 times
IMO, You pretty much nailed it on the cities. The best scuba diving in the area will be at Phil Foster park - absolutely unreal the amount of active marine life in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhc View Post
Hello!

I am looking to retire on the East Coast of Florida and was hoping to get some insights. I am looking for a city with:

* ample gluten-free and healthy food options
* great tennis facility
* liberal leaning
* near great scuba diving
* walkable
* bike trails

Currently, I am leaning toward the Jupiter area and Delray Beach. But I am open to suggestions.

Thank you,

Shawn

Old 12-25-2021, 08:52 AM

25,838 posts, read 12,881,113 times
I'd choose Delray over Jupiter myself. Jupiter's real estate is sky high. Delray's no bargain either, but you can go North & West of Downtown Delray, save money, & still be close enough to the nightlife to enjoy it.

Jupiter is great if you are a top 1%'er, & can live on the island, or in a high-end gated community like Jonathan's Landing, but for mere mortal's, Jupiter's cost of living is out of reach.

I've had much better luck getting into restaurants during season in Delray over Jupiter. In Delray, you can park and walk along Atlantic Ave to restaurants, bars with live music and shops. In Jupiter, you need to drive most places, & parking is more challenging.

I've snorkled in both places, & prefer Jupiter, but I don't scuba.

The tennis center in downtown Delray's very nice...I've played there. There's also an older big tennis community close by called Rod Laver's, if I recall. Jupiter's more into golf than tennis from my observations.

I've biked along Jupiter's beachfront road (A1A?), but no place else there. I've never biked in Delray, so can't speak to that.

Delray is much more walkable than Jupiter. Atlantic Ave in Delray has a lot of bars w/ live music, eateries and shops. In Jupiter, there's no single place like that so you must drive, and in season parking's more of a challenge in Jupiter than Delray.

Delray is more liberal than Jupiter. Parts of Delray are in Wasserman-Schultz's district, or used to be...they redraw districts so much, I can't keep up.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 12-25-2021 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-25-2021, 09:38 AM

Thank you! I will have to tell my son about Phil Foster Park - I have not heard him mention it.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:40 AM

Thank you for the wealth of information! This is very helpful!

Old 12-25-2021, 09:45 AM

25,838 posts, read 12,881,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhc View Post
Thank you! I will have to tell my son about Phil Foster Park - I have not heard him mention it.
DuBois park in Jupiter is good snorkling for kids and beginners. Scuba divers dive along the inlet walls nearby, but the little lagoon there is perfect for snorkling. The Eagle Rays in the Lagoon were fun to watch.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:36 AM

2,353 posts, read 2,310,071 times
I’d go with Jupiter or Palm Beach. I highly recommend visiting Palm Beach’s Lake Trail for biking.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 5,650 times
Great information, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida