Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 02:02 PM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepermanentnomad View Post
This state is not good for young people. If you aren't already established, don't come here. If you are from another low wage "low cost of living" Southern state, don't come here. If you aren't old, wealthy/rich, or a retiree, don't come here. The cost of living is out of control in comparison to wages. This is what a lot of people here won't tell you.
Florida is 26th out of 50 for cost of living, which is in the middle of the pack:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...cost-of-living

Its wages where Florida falls into the bottom 10, because the states economy is driven by tourism and agriculture which both suffer from low pay nationwide, not just in FLA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_mean_wage

The best play for young people here is to start a business, not to work for an traditional employer.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:57 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,432 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wts...7-70fb1ba95415

Old 12-03-2021, 05:03 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
This state is not good for young people. If you aren't already established, don't come here. If you are from another low wage "low cost of living" Southern state, don't come here. If you aren't old, wealthy/rich, or a retiree, don't come here. The cost of living is out of control in comparison to wages. This is what a lot of people here won't tell you.
You don't have an education, you qualify for mall jobs and upset you can't live in an oceanfront apartment and drive a fancy car?

One look on realtor .com will tell you what things cost.
Peruse indeed or monster and you can surmise what you will earn.
Look in your bank account to see if you can sustain yourself until you get established. Hint: doesn't mean one way bus ticket and $37 leftover.

Just spitballin' here, I suspect you got too many youtube fantasies from influencers and suddenly found out the hard way they weren't being 100% honest with you!

Old 12-03-2021, 05:30 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I lived in North FL for 25 years and found it excellent,had to move to CT because of age and health and for support from daughter,my healthcare in FL was superior to what I hava here.CT is a horrible place to live for retiree,regressive.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:42 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
I do agree that the cost of living is out of control, but that situation is not unique to Florida. Investors snapping up all of the single family homes in the US is a national problem that needs to be addressed.

I also agree with the message "don't come here" but not because it is a bad place. I want people to stop coming so they don't destroy a great place.

In short, I do not really agree with your assessment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You don't have an education, you qualify for mall jobs and upset you can't live in an oceanfront apartment and drive a fancy car?

Just spitballin' here, I suspect you got too many youtube fantasies from influencers and suddenly found out the hard way they weren't being 100% honest with you!

About investors... I know there is a lot of talk about Blackrock and the Zillow bust, but I wonder to what extent if any the impact an increase in individual real estate investing is having on the market. Like City Guy said, there are a lot of scammers out there selling a fake dream. Meanwhile, their only "business" is teaching people how to start one. But there are also legitimate sources teaching people about real estate, which is getting more people out there buying additional properties. I'm not disparaging those people, but if a bunch of Mark and Sallys go out and buy 3 houses, duplexes, condos, etc. each to rent out in a construction market that hasn't regained the labor and production levels lost after 2008, where does that leave the individuals looking for a property where they will actually live?

Old 12-05-2021, 08:58 AM

2,651 posts, read 1,180,067 times
Florida is for retirees. HOA's are much cheaper in Florida than up north. NJ is very expensive so many seniors move to Florida or somewhere that doesn't have insane taxes, $400K and higher cost to buy a home single or condo. Contractors rip off seniors like you wouldn't believe. Especially when they are widowed or widowers all alone.

IMHO, Unfortunately it is a State that allow any idiot to own dangerous animals and reptiles. When they see it's to hard take care of them as they grow the toss it out the door to fend for itself in areas they were not meant to be in.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:22 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
As a native Floridian, I agree. I realize we have no state tax and that makes FL desirable for many people, but considering the lower than average wages combined with higher housing costs (not counting some of the highest home owners insurance rates in the country), it really is not worth it unless you are fairly wealthy.

Whatever your vocation, chances are you will make more money elsewhere for that job.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
We spent winters in FL and the rest of the year northeast. Although there is no state income tax, FL has many added taxes depending on the county, basic necessities were expensive. We eventually stopped going because of the high traffic, crime, the heat, medical care and drugs.

For financially secure northerners it is a good place to be. Problems arise when a spouse passes or physical limitations occur and no family is nearby.

In speaking about earnings, met a nurse who lived in a tiny studio apartment because of the high cost of rentals. Like San Diego and Hawaii, for example, paradise is expensive.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Taxes are of no concern to me whatsoever. I have lived in high tax states and low tax states. In the end, it doesn't really matter much. Higher tax states usually have higher paying jobs. Lower tax states usually have lower paying jobs.

I think Florida would benefit hugely even from a 2.5% income tax on income over $70K. We could have amazing public schools.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:11 PM

640 posts, read 449,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Florida is not employee-friendly. There is no Florida Department of Labor. There's a department that handles unemployment compensation and job services, but that's it. There are no Florida laws regarding labor, with the exception of minors.

Companies in Florida are not obligated to give their employees any breaks at all. They are not obligated to give them any paid sick time, paid vacation, or pay extra for working on holidays. They have no minimum hourly shift rules.

A company can tell a candidate that they strive for 20 hour weeks for all their part-timers. The employee gets the job, and they put them on the schedule for only 3 hours per week.

If the employee doesn't like it, they can take a hike.

That actually happens in Florida. An employee can say "I can't work Wednesdays, but I can work the other 6 days, from opening to closing." And the employer can say "well we only need you on Wednesdays for the next month, so you just won't get any hours for the next month."

The employee cannot collect unemployment during this time of no shifts because they're not being laid off. The employer can say "we offered them work on Wednesdays and they chose to be unavailable."
Did it occur to you that one of the reasons people come to FL is exactly because it does not have an overbearing state government dictating every aspect of life and employment? No state tax to feed an army of bureaucrats? That the federal labor laws are still in force? Maybe you would feel at home in some high-tax northeastern states people are flocking to FL from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida