Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 06:03 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Taxes are of no concern to me whatsoever. I have lived in high tax states and low tax states. In the end, it doesn't really matter much. Higher tax states usually have higher paying jobs. Lower tax states usually have lower paying jobs.

I think Florida would benefit hugely even from a 2.5% income tax on income over $70K. We could have amazing public schools.
Ok...........circa 1988 Floridians got that pitch already: FLORIDA LOTTERY!

40% of the proceeds goes to schools. This seems like amazing schools are on the way.........25 BILLION already contributed so what happened?

The Florida legislature pulled money from the school budget, so yes the lottery money went in and they pulled the existing money back out to spend elsewhere.............zero benefit for the schools.

Income tax, guess what.................they will take it and spend it elsewhere, schools will get no benefit!

Remember the Florida's economy is tourist driven, its not NY/NJ with unions dictating labor rates on everything from bus drivers to cops. They have to tax that income to pay those exorbitant rates!

Old 12-21-2021, 10:27 AM

835 posts, read 476,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok...........circa 1988 Floridians got that pitch already: FLORIDA LOTTERY!

40% of the proceeds goes to schools. This seems like amazing schools are on the way.........25 BILLION already contributed so what happened?

The Florida legislature pulled money from the school budget, so yes the lottery money went in and they pulled the existing money back out to spend elsewhere.............zero benefit for the schools.

Income tax, guess what.................they will take it and spend it elsewhere, schools will get no benefit!

Remember the Florida's economy is tourist driven, its not NY/NJ with unions dictating labor rates on everything from bus drivers to cops. They have to tax that income to pay those exorbitant rates!
Nearly all cops are unionized in Florida. In my district, most entry level (EG bus operators) and teachers are unionized as well. Florida isn’t as union free as you think it is, they are just less noticeable.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:10 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
School ratings by state Florida is ranked #3 ... and getting better all the time. Believe what you wish to believe.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Old 12-21-2021, 11:29 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I lived in North FL moving from Colorodo,I lived the good part of CO,1971-1988 and was able to enjoy it.
I lived in North Fl from 1988-2015 and never found it boring,we had I 75.! 10 and I 95 at our door steps.
When we had to move back to CT in 1915 because of age and health we now flush $5000 down the toilet each year and no benefits for retiree's.
Because my pension was below poverty level I paid no property taxes,only rubbish and fire.They only looked at 1099,nothing else and got $23000 in addition to homestead along with 3 percent cap on increase of taxes.
In Ct the way they figure help,they consider just about every thing as income.
As for health I had much better Doctors in FL than here.My health is screwed up in CT and cannot get the help I need.
I have the deceased problem now,my family is gone and fortunate to have our daughters help.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:39 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
As a native Floridian, I agree. I realize we have no state tax and that makes FL desirable for many people, but considering the lower than average wages combined with higher housing costs (not counting some of the highest home owners insurance rates in the country), it really is not worth it unless you are fairly wealthy.

Whatever your vocation, chances are you will make more money elsewhere for that job.
States that are desirable have higher costs. The law of supply and demand still rings true. The below list is outdated but relfects the placement of states.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...-income-growth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ian_home_price

Old 12-21-2021, 12:54 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Taxes are of no concern to me whatsoever. I have lived in high tax states and low tax states. In the end, it doesn't really matter much. Higher tax states usually have higher paying jobs. Lower tax states usually have lower paying jobs.

I think Florida would benefit hugely even from a 2.5% income tax on income over $70K. We could have amazing public schools.
This guy again, lol.

Still not moved out of Florida yet? I mean why not move back to your utopia northeast?

You want to take one of the most fiscally sound states, Florida, and turn it inti a fiscal basket case state like Connecticut is.

How this logic escapes you is baffling.

And again I ask, why in the hell you keep living in a state you hate, when you moved from a state you praise, and not just move back to the state you love so much?

Old 12-21-2021, 03:31 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
School ratings by state Florida is ranked #3 ... and getting better all the time. Believe what you wish to believe.

In K-12 education only Florida is number 16

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cation/prek-12

Old 12-21-2021, 03:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
In K-12 education only Florida is number 16

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cation/prek-12
That is not bad and better than 34 other States.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
This guy again, lol.

Still not moved out of Florida yet? I mean why not move back to your utopia northeast?

You want to take one of the most fiscally sound states, Florida, and turn it inti a fiscal basket case state like Connecticut is.

How this logic escapes you is baffling.

And again I ask, why in the hell you keep living in a state you hate, when you moved from a state you praise, and not just move back to the state you love so much?
What about the other 5.3 MILLION Floridians who voted blue in 2020? Are they all supposed to pack up and leave, too?

Moving because of politics is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by nep321; 12-21-2021 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-21-2021, 08:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

Oh how convenient that you picked a source where FL is #3. I just as easily googled and found a source where FL is #22. Not the worst, but not that great either.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...kings-by-state

Not to mention, ALL of the top 10 best public school states are blue states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida