Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times

Advertisements

We're trying to make a decision which insurance to go with. Have received 2 quotes:

State Farm 1800.00 per year
Rating: A++

American Strategic Insurance $1600.00 per year
Rating: B++

Both have the same coverages and deductables.

We just talked with the State Farm agent (with whom we've had car insurance for 30 years) and he said that although he can write us now...there are no guarantees about continuing coverage in the future. His words "with the change of administration in Florida, the whole insurance industry is up in the air...nervous about what is going to happen". He said the national office had given the Florida office 1 billion dollars to bail them out in '04, loaned them another billion in '05 (what was that for?) and if we have another bad hurricane season anytime soon, they would just pull out of the homeowners insurance business in Florida. They are currently the only large company still writing policies under the parent company.

We have a new home built to the latest hurricane code. When the 3 storms came through Orlando in '04 - not one home in our subdivision had even as much as a shingle missing...while the older homes around us had major roof damage, etc.

Has anyone heard of American Strategic Insurance? Our mortgage company already has the paperwork done for this policy but I'm wondering if we should make the change to State Farm? Any advice, opinions, experiences with either company would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 AM

208 posts, read 974,853 times
We wrote our policy through ASI. They came recommended from our mortgage company. Although we've only had them for a few months now, I've been happy with the way they've handled everything and my diligence in researching their company and financials shows that they look pretty solid to me.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 AM

628 posts, read 1,833,962 times
Hope this helps. I currently have both companies insuring my homes. One is on the water with State Farm who I’ve had for many years on several homes. Because they are not writing “new” business in most of Florida I had to find another to insure my second home. American Strategic insures my second home and the cost is very resonable

State Farm is not an A rated company not at least State Farm of Florida which is a member of the state farm group

Below is some information from AM Best a company known for rating insurance companies banks etc… Both companies rank basically the same

State Farm Florida Insurance Company
(a member of State Farm Group) A.M.Best #: 12235 Rating:
Rating: B+ (Good)
Financial Size Category: X ($500 million to $750 million)
Outlook: Stable
Action: Affirmed
Effective Date: June 15, 2006

American Strategic Insurance Corp

(a member of American Strategic Insurance Companies) A.M.Best #: 18538
Rating: B++ (Good)
Financial Size Category: VII ($50 million to $100 million)
Outlook: Stable
Action: Affirmed
Effective Date: November 22, 2006

Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Thank you for the responses. State Farm will only write for us because we are current customers and are not in South Florida. My concern is that if American Strategic pulls out next year - we may not be able to get on with State Farm as our agent told us that in South Florida they only kept those already on the books, but are not writing any new policies there in the foreseable future. Right now the window is open in Central Florida for automobile customers with homes built since 2002 only.

If you had to choose, which would you go with?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 PM

251 posts, read 885,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
We're trying to make a decision which insurance to go with. Have received 2 quotes:

State Farm 1800.00 per year
Rating: A++

American Strategic Insurance $1600.00 per year
Rating: B++

Both have the same coverages and deductables.

We just talked with the State Farm agent (with whom we've had car insurance for 30 years) and he said that although he can write us now...there are no guarantees about continuing coverage in the future. His words "with the change of administration in Florida, the whole insurance industry is up in the air...nervous about what is going to happen". He said the national office had given the Florida office 1 billion dollars to bail them out in '04, loaned them another billion in '05 (what was that for?) and if we have another bad hurricane season anytime soon, they would just pull out of the homeowners insurance business in Florida. They are currently the only large company still writing policies under the parent company.

We have a new home built to the latest hurricane code. When the 3 storms came through Orlando in '04 - not one home in our subdivision had even as much as a shingle missing...while the older homes around us had major roof damage, etc.

Has anyone heard of American Strategic Insurance? Our mortgage company already has the paperwork done for this policy but I'm wondering if we should make the change to State Farm? Any advice, opinions, experiences with either company would be appreciated. Thanks!
You need to check and make sure tha American Strategic is NOT a surplus line of insurance because if they are not regulated under Florida Statue 627 they can offer you very low starting price then at renewal give you the "BAM" I do not know if they are non-regulated I do know USF & G is non regulated and my neighbors ins went from $1800 one year to $5400 the next! She has since had to go on Citizens for $3300
Do your homework!

Old 01-03-2007, 02:23 PM

628 posts, read 1,833,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Thank you for the responses. State Farm will only write for us because we are current customers and are not in South Florida. My concern is that if American Strategic pulls out next year - we may not be able to get on with State Farm as our agent told us that in South Florida they only kept those already on the books, but are not writing any new policies there in the foreseable future. Right now the window is open in Central Florida for automobile customers with homes built since 2002 only.

If you had to choose, which would you go with?
State farm was willing to write us if we were transferring coverage but not for a new policy. To be honest if they were willing to write the second I probably would have taken them on name alone. It [the name] would have made me feel more comfortable but that’s no guarantee that they will be the better choice.

ASI has been doing business here since 1998 and looks solid to me. I’m quite at ease having them as a second insurer
Here is their web site:
http://www.asilloyds.com/default.html (broken link)

And AM Best’s site (the member login is free)
http://www.ambest.com/ (broken link)

Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
I checked My Florida Insurance Look-up and they show registered, see below.

http://www.fldfs.com/Data/CompanySearch/index.asp

Old 02-24-2007, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 40,658 times
Default American Strategic Insurance

I have had a policy with American Strategic Insurance for three years now. No complaints. I had minor damage for Charley and I was reimbursed for the repairs quickly. I read in the paper that they were the first company to lower rates.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:05 AM

29 posts, read 173,338 times
I've had ASI for going on 3 years now for my rental in Ocala. Haven't had a claim yet (thankfully), but so far they've been good. After the hurricanes in 2004, I was afraid that my premiums were going to go thru the roof, but they only went up a small amount.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 40,763 times
I have previously been insured with ASI and had no problems and also found them reasonable. Are there any other companies out there that have good track records apart from ASI and State Farm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida