Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 05:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
I think Florida is the Walmart of education. Cheap. I do shop at Walmart, but if I had children I wouldn't send them to a Walmart for education. I knew an intelligent co-worker that graduated from Pineview so hopefully there are exceptions.

I moved here a long time ago for the weather. I still think the only reason to move to Florida is the weather. And the weather here is not improving.
I would never move to Florida for the weather. It's a ridiculous reason, unless you're coming from the Equator, in which case Florida would be a step up.

Our seasons: mosquito-summer, followed by love-bug summer, followed by 2 days of weather cold enough to kill all your plants and force you to start all over again, followed by a second love-bug summer. Of the 12 months, two are not humid. Usually. Sometimes.

No - the weather is definitely not a good reason to move to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 06:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I would never move to Florida for the weather. It's a ridiculous reason, unless you're coming from the Equator, in which case Florida would be a step up.

Our seasons: mosquito-summer, followed by love-bug summer, followed by 2 days of weather cold enough to kill all your plants and force you to start all over again, followed by a second love-bug summer. Of the 12 months, two are not humid. Usually. Sometimes.

No - the weather is definitely not a good reason to move to Florida.
Part of my job had me working outdoors. I moved down there in 1973 as a young college grad. Heat was hot but temps cooled down beginning in October. As the years went by, I got older and less heat tolerant. As the years went by, temperatures stayed hot until November. More years later and temperatures remained hot until sometime in December. So much of Miami Dade, previously forested in pine trees, was developed with buildings, houses and concrete. No more patches of shade. This has been a factor in temperatures felt by residents. The last summer that I lived in Miami Dade was 2016. The previous winter, I hungered for some cool/cold temperatures. We were lucky to have 2 or 3 cold fronts = cool night followed by one 'cold' night and the next day was already warming up.

The heat is a factor in some people's attitude, patience and mood.

Last edited by popcorn247; 09-17-2023 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-18-2023, 12:27 AM

350 posts, read 195,714 times
It's the third most populated state, of 22 million, in the country. One where people have always FLED to buy ESPECIALLY NOW WHICH OF COURSE YOU KNOW with basically no plan except seniors. Palm Tree delusions. I grew up here part time my entire life but it's different when you finally make the FINAL move. For ONE thing, nobody is friendly they are all living life inside air conditioning. Ever see kids play outside? Rarely.

You could also ask why are people who moved here so dumb? "Oh I prefer mountains". "Oh I don't like the dirty seaweed on the beach (people from Ohio with NO knowledge of beaches), "Oh it's hot".

I bought a hot dog at the stand at Lowes the seller didn't say a single word to me not one word. I went back to Philly and went in the Home Depot food court thingy they added to the outside and the guy talked my ear off all friendly and funny at 6 AM.

But I don't even know what you're talking about "angry people" but maybe you're more sensitive than I am. It's often regional.

Corporate training makes East coast people suck up to foreigners, Mid West and Southern people because God forbid somebody get hurt feelings. I had to give a fake appraisal to a manager from Iowa and she goes "OMG my people would cry if you talked like that". I said "Well my people would laugh at you if you talked like THAT."

A couple years ago my Kentucky snowbird neighbor was out on our shared atrium porch with the third condo snowbird guy. My door was OPEN 2 feet from them. Very loudly saying anyone with [my] political beliefs was a CULT member, uninformed, delusional, blah blah blah.

So I went out there and let him have it REMINDING him that if he's going to talk politics he can do it INSIDE his OWN condo not outside MY door, and that every time we ever attempted to discuss politics he never knew a single thing about policy and what a hypocrite he is...Mr. Religious Christian always spouting that crap so where's all that ~Christianity?

The guy is all "don't get so mean" and the other one was all "OH WHAT? you had your ear to the door"? I go "You drunk again? You can't see my door was OPEN and I could easily hear both your loud asses and you FULL WELL KNOW my political beliefs? And let me remind you BOTH you don't even LIVE here so keep it to yourselves. "

I'm from Philly we don't respond well to fools.

It's like on the internet when people troll and attack you but if you make the better argument YOU get called names by the butthurt.

So maybe that's your definition of "angry".

I think the correct word is "aggressive". I always dial it back for the precious snowflakes from the Midwest or local Floridians. Until you come at me.

Like driving around Jax or on 95 you almost die a hundred times a month. I don't mind delivering a brake job right away to the morons in the aggressive white pickups. Morons who TWO of them try and pass you one from either side and nearly crash each other in front of you. Or Morons who pass you two car lengths from the exit ramp to WHAT? Get off ahead of you?

Worst drivers in the COUNTRY. People from Philly and NJ don't dare drive like that because we will NOT tolerate it. Last night in the dark in Publix some idiot in a HUGE LIFTED piece of junk white rusted pickup BLOCKED ME IN from backing out of my space and REFUSED TO MOVE waiting for her husband to finish shopping because she didn't want to drive that heap down to the end of the parking lot. I LAID ON MY HORN for over TEN MINUTES and she still wouldn't move it.

Are you KIDDING ME.

And YEAH I did try and move back to Philly after fifteen years at the end of the pandemic but it was still a woke crime loving mess and pretty impossible. Rents for over 4000 per month just for starters and I sold my condo then found a rent for 750 per month all inclusive HERE LOL. But I'm still thinking of going back to my OWN people.

Last edited by jaxrivers; 09-18-2023 at 12:38 AM..

Old 09-18-2023, 07:35 AM

14,954 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
It's the third most populated state, of 22 million, in the country. One where people have always FLED to buy ESPECIALLY NOW WHICH OF COURSE YOU KNOW with basically no plan except seniors. Palm Tree delusions. I grew up here part time my entire life but it's different when you finally make the FINAL move. For ONE thing, nobody is friendly they are all living life inside air conditioning. Ever see kids play outside? Rarely.

You could also ask why are people who moved here so dumb? "Oh I prefer mountains". "Oh I don't like the dirty seaweed on the beach (people from Ohio with NO knowledge of beaches), "Oh it's hot".

I bought a hot dog at the stand at Lowes the seller didn't say a single word to me not one word. I went back to Philly and went in the Home Depot food court thingy they added to the outside and the guy talked my ear off all friendly and funny at 6 AM.

But I don't even know what you're talking about "angry people" but maybe you're more sensitive than I am. It's often regional.

Corporate training makes East coast people suck up to foreigners, Mid West and Southern people because God forbid somebody get hurt feelings. I had to give a fake appraisal to a manager from Iowa and she goes "OMG my people would cry if you talked like that". I said "Well my people would laugh at you if you talked like THAT."

A couple years ago my Kentucky snowbird neighbor was out on our shared atrium porch with the third condo snowbird guy. My door was OPEN 2 feet from them. Very loudly saying anyone with [my] political beliefs was a CULT member, uninformed, delusional, blah blah blah.

So I went out there and let him have it REMINDING him that if he's going to talk politics he can do it INSIDE his OWN condo not outside MY door, and that every time we ever attempted to discuss politics he never knew a single thing about policy and what a hypocrite he is...Mr. Religious Christian always spouting that crap so where's all that ~Christianity?

The guy is all "don't get so mean" and the other one was all "OH WHAT? you had your ear to the door"? I go "You drunk again? You can't see my door was OPEN and I could easily hear both your loud asses and you FULL WELL KNOW my political beliefs? And let me remind you BOTH you don't even LIVE here so keep it to yourselves. "

I'm from Philly we don't respond well to fools.

It's like on the internet when people troll and attack you but if you make the better argument YOU get called names by the butthurt.

So maybe that's your definition of "angry".

I think the correct word is "aggressive". I always dial it back for the precious snowflakes from the Midwest or local Floridians. Until you come at me.

Like driving around Jax or on 95 you almost die a hundred times a month. I don't mind delivering a brake job right away to the morons in the aggressive white pickups. Morons who TWO of them try and pass you one from either side and nearly crash each other in front of you. Or Morons who pass you two car lengths from the exit ramp to WHAT? Get off ahead of you?

Worst drivers in the COUNTRY. People from Philly and NJ don't dare drive like that because we will NOT tolerate it. Last night in the dark in Publix some idiot in a HUGE LIFTED piece of junk white rusted pickup BLOCKED ME IN from backing out of my space and REFUSED TO MOVE waiting for her husband to finish shopping because she didn't want to drive that heap down to the end of the parking lot. I LAID ON MY HORN for over TEN MINUTES and she still wouldn't move it.

Are you KIDDING ME.

And YEAH I did try and move back to Philly after fifteen years at the end of the pandemic but it was still a woke crime loving mess and pretty impossible. Rents for over 4000 per month just for starters and I sold my condo then found a rent for 750 per month all inclusive HERE LOL. But I'm still thinking of going back to my OWN people.
Lol...

Old 09-18-2023, 08:37 AM

283 posts, read 288,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
I think Florida is the Walmart of education. Cheap. I do shop at Walmart, but if I had children I wouldn't send them to a Walmart for education. I knew an intelligent co-worker that graduated from Pineview so hopefully there are exceptions.

I moved here a long time ago for the weather. I still think the only reason to move to Florida is the weather. And the weather here is not improving.
Where did you go to school, or where would you send your kids to school?

Old 09-18-2023, 08:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
Where did you go to school, or where would you send your kids to school?
What difference does it make? It has nothing to do with the topic. Florida has so many crazy angry people because Florida teaches and encourages insanity and anger.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:28 AM

14,954 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
What difference does it make? It has nothing to do with the topic. Florida has so many crazy angry people because Florida teaches and encourages insanity and anger.
That is a bizarre statement.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:58 AM

283 posts, read 288,791 times
Say no more, I have read between the lines and determined the actual answer

Old 09-25-2023, 11:46 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I always thought people in FL were happy, friendly, and chill compared to Georgia. At least that was my impression in NE FL/JAX area.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:10 AM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
A Florida education has served myself, spouse, friends and friends of friends very well -We’re all 30 - 40 years old now and literally not one of us makes less than 100k/yr and the ones who are DINKs or even just married with dual incomes are absolutely crushing it. The key (just like anywhere else) is to secure IN DEMAND SKILLS and internships BEFORE leaving undergrad.

The ones bashing higher education in Florida have no clue and I say this as someone who also has a graduate education from a well known university in the Boston area.

The real threat and black eye to education in Florida are politicians like meatball Ron DeSantis and his sycophants in Tallahassee who are complicit in his BS and are actively destroying the state’s reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida