Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-29-2023, 08:48 AM
 
Location: SoFlo
630 posts, read 402,311 times
Reputation: 1300

Advertisements

Thanks for confirming what's literally happening in every major metro in Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jax). Go to almost any trendy sports bar (especially the bars in a downtown area) in these areas during big college football games and take a good look at the 28 - 45 year old crowd wearing college/alumni attire and I can almost guarantee you're potentially looking at a young professional earning anywhere from 65k - 150k...I see it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Worth noting that most lawyers don't make all that much, as the industry is oversaturated with lawyers. A lot of them end up working for the DA doing bull**** office work, or end up in the public defender's office, etc.

That said, I'm an EE, a lot of my friends are engineers, Software developers/coders, and RNs. All in our 30s and 40s. We pretty much all make over $100k, just with the Bachelor's degree. Some with just an A.S. Those who don't are just under $100k, in the $90s. Of those who remain in Florida, we are in the Tampa Bay area, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale/Miami, Fort Pierce, and Jacksonville.

Last edited by silverct9a; 09-29-2023 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2023, 08:49 AM
 
Location: SoFlo
630 posts, read 402,311 times
Reputation: 1300
Great point that gets overlooked far too often by those on the extreme right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It’s not just ‘the liberal’ professors who are leaving the state in droves; it’s the moderates an even the conservative ones who care about academic integrity.

And conservative academics are not flocking to the state either under DeSantis’ higher ed changes because it turns out that things like the lack of tenure/academic freedom and the high cost of living compared to faculty salaries are unattractive to educated conservatives too.

If you’re the parent of a high school student, what’s going on right now should be concerning because current disruptions in state higher ed are going ot make it even harder for students to get a bachelor’s degree in four years because of an inability to get the classes you need to complete your major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 09:23 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Reputation: 21315
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
A Florida education has served myself, spouse, friends and friends of friends very well -We’re all 30 - 40 years old now and literally not one of us makes less than 100k/yr and the ones who are DINKs or even just married with dual incomes are absolutely crushing it. The key (just like anywhere else) is to secure IN DEMAND SKILLS and internships BEFORE leaving undergrad.

The ones bashing higher education in Florida have no clue and I say this as someone who also has a graduate education from a well known university in the Boston area.

The real threat and black eye to education in Florida are politicians like meatball Ron DeSantis and his sycophants in Tallahassee who are complicit in his BS and are actively destroying the state’s reputation.
Maybe you should move to a state that has smash and grab crime, or illegals living in the street, where kids have to walk over them on their way to school. So many would love to switch states with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 11:07 AM
 
Location: SoFlo
630 posts, read 402,311 times
Reputation: 1300
Honest question - What were you trying to accomplish by posting this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Maybe you should move to a state that has smash and grab crime, or illegals living in the street, where kids have to walk over them on their way to school. So many would love to switch states with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 12:33 PM
 
3,833 posts, read 3,337,904 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
If your degree is liberal arts or just a generic bachelor's, it really isn't worth much on its own and that's the cold hard truth...It's also why I tell many people that if you're not studying STEM, or going into the healthcare field, don't go to college.

I work in the tech space and labor needs/requirements are rapidly changing and in fact they've already changed but private companies and the government don't really want you to know this yet as they're still searching for ways to mitigate the impact A.I. will have on the labor market.

If you don't believe this look to the writer's strike, and U.A.W. strike as precursors - A lot of this drama is due to A.I. and automation and the planned long term vision of replacing the internal combustion engine with EVs.

Now the good news...A degree is just an expensive piece of paper that signifies to employers you have basic competency, and can finish a long term goal. In other words, it doesn't define you and one can always pivot. Successful employment is a combination of experience, certification, and formal education in that order.

Last thing, if i recall correctly you're relatively young (under 45) and you were having problems finding suitable women in SWFL correct? Pasco or something right? Not exactly breaking news but if that's the case, what if I told you that your biggest barriers to high income employment and attractive women is simply your location...would you believe it? A move to a "blue" county is your answer my friend...it's where all the economic activity is.
I don't live in Pasco. I live in swfl. I got family in pasco county. Its a lot younger up there but the traffic is terrible. Manatee county south to collier county has the oldest median age average per county in fl. Sarasota, collier, and charlotte county are like the 3 oldest median age counties in the state. Tampa area is a lot younger.

I dont want to live in a blue county. I'm very right wing.

Pasco county is part of tampa metro. A lot younger compared to my region. Jobs of course are better in the tampa region. I live in a snowbird and tourist region.

The poster is right about lawyers. Florida is oversaturated with lawyers. When i was taking a law class up in missouri the professor said Florida has too many lawyers lol.

My cousin is a young pharmacist and hard to get a job here . Retail side is easy but she wants to be in research pharmacy or in a hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 07:47 PM
 
Location: SoFlo
630 posts, read 402,311 times
Reputation: 1300
Gotcha - Listen, I'm certainly not trying to lecture you or god forbid change your mind, but it doesn't matter who's in office blue or red, no one is coming you change your economic situation but you. I certainly wouldn't put political leanings above earnings and I would advise the same to others.

All across this country the highest earning areas are solidly blue (Blue state or blue cities/counties in red states) and this isn't changing anytime soon. Even those snowbird half backs earn their money in blue states then come retire in a red state. I live in Palm Beach County and although solidly blue, there is a sizable Republican base (went red for DeSantis' reelection which was disappointing) so one can still be a practicing Republican in a blue county...you'll just be outnumbered in certain social situations.

My pharmacist friends work in various environments: Retail (CVS, Walgreens, Publix etc and they actually are amongst the highest paid), I have a few at Tampa General, Capital Regional(Tallahassee), not many who do academic research as far as I'm aware...although they're all PharmDs and not PhDs which is typically required for any significant research.

As far as attorneys go, I have a few friends doing work ranging from BS DA office drone work (as stated earlier) to those who made partner at well known firms (Trust me you've seen these ambulance chasing firms on TV lol). Overall I agree with you regarding Lawyers - it's a saturated field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I don't live in Pasco. I live in swfl. I got family in pasco county. Its a lot younger up there but the traffic is terrible. Manatee county south to collier county has the oldest median age average per county in fl. Sarasota, collier, and charlotte county are like the 3 oldest median age counties in the state. Tampa area is a lot younger.

I dont want to live in a blue county. I'm very right wing.

Pasco county is part of tampa metro. A lot younger compared to my region. Jobs of course are better in the tampa region. I live in a snowbird and tourist region.

The poster is right about lawyers. Florida is oversaturated with lawyers. When i was taking a law class up in missouri the professor said Florida has too many lawyers lol.

My cousin is a young pharmacist and hard to get a job here . Retail side is easy but she wants to be in research pharmacy or in a hospital.

Last edited by silverct9a; 09-29-2023 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 08:22 PM
 
Location: The Bubble, Florida
3,432 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Reputation: 10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I don't live in Pasco. I live in swfl. I got family in pasco county. Its a lot younger up there but the traffic is terrible. Manatee county south to collier county has the oldest median age average per county in fl. Sarasota, collier, and charlotte county are like the 3 oldest median age counties in the state. Tampa area is a lot younger.

I dont want to live in a blue county. I'm very right wing.

Pasco county is part of tampa metro. A lot younger compared to my region. Jobs of course are better in the tampa region. I live in a snowbird and tourist region.

The poster is right about lawyers. Florida is oversaturated with lawyers. When i was taking a law class up in missouri the professor said Florida has too many lawyers lol.

My cousin is a young pharmacist and hard to get a job here . Retail side is easy but she wants to be in research pharmacy or in a hospital.
If you can be that wrong about your entire first paragraph, do consider that you might be wrong about your other claims/statements.

As of 2021 (the most recent count): Manatee county average age is 49. Collier county is 51.5. Sarasota is 56.5. Charlotte is 59.7. Those are the ones you say are the oldest. MEANWHILE:

Citrus county: 56.8
Highlands: 53.7
Indian River: 54.2
Sumter: 68.1.

So out of the 4 you specified, only two qualify as the "oldest." Four other counties beat the other two, one by almost a decade.

Source: https://www.flhealthcharts.gov/Chart...YrsRpt&cid=300
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 09:50 PM
 
Location: ft walton beach
170 posts, read 450,286 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Florida seems to have a lot of narcissistic, angry people, wishy washy people.
those are the snowbirds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Reputation: 16416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Maybe you should move to a state that has smash and grab crime, or illegals living in the street, where kids have to walk over them on their way to school. So many would love to switch states with you.
Or you could just go to Pensacola, which is a deep red area with all those things and where the gun and other violent crime has been moving toward previously safe places like the UWF and Cordova Mall/9th Avenue retail corridor in the past few years.

I felt safer in living in DC in the 90s than I do in Pensacola these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2023, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Florida
14,968 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Reputation: 12073
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Gotcha - Listen, I'm certainly not trying to lecture you or god forbid change your mind, but it doesn't matter who's in office blue or red, no one is coming you change your economic situation but you. I certainly wouldn't put political leanings above earnings and I would advise the same to others.

All across this country the highest earning areas are solidly blue (Blue state or blue cities/counties in red states) and this isn't changing anytime soon. Even those snowbird half backs earn their money in blue states then come retire in a red state. I live in Palm Beach County and although solidly blue, there is a sizable Republican base (went red for DeSantis' reelection which was disappointing) so one can still be a practicing Republican in a blue county...you'll just be outnumbered in certain social situations.

My pharmacist friends work in various environments: Retail (CVS, Walgreens, Publix etc and they actually are amongst the highest paid), I have a few at Tampa General, Capital Regional(Tallahassee), not many who do academic research as far as I'm aware...although they're all PharmDs and not PhDs which is typically required for any significant research.

As far as attorneys go, I have a few friends doing work ranging from BS DA office drone work (as stated earlier) to those who made partner at well known firms (Trust me you've seen these ambulance chasing firms on TV lol). Overall I agree with you regarding Lawyers - it's a saturated field.
Blue areas... especially urban areas, pay more because it COSTS more to live there. That's just math. That's a no brainer. Cost of living is the main driver for wages.

How that impacts the false notion that Florida has more angry people then another state, escapes me. The reality is urban areas create anger/hostility. https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-cities-ranked
https://www.wccq.com/the-angriest-states-in-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top