Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:27 PM

42 posts, read 254,338 times

Advertisements

I've had insects come and go most of my time here. We just moved and my last home seemed to finally have settled down. Very few insects. Now I'm getting up to 12 spiders a day! My dd just found one in the toilet! My dh sprayed last week. I never spray b/c I hate pesticides but I don't want any of us getting bit in the house. We're washed down the outside of the house and knocked down any spider nests. What else can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 12:40 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
I don't have a major bug problem, but I live on the coast. I do see spiders, mostly outdoors. I have a lot of geckos and anoles around the house and a couple of big toads to keep them controlled. The only problem I had that disappeared after treatment was Crazy Ants.

I would check your doors and windows for voids, replace the weather stripping if needed and caulk any small cracks. Turn off your outdoor lights at night to stop attracting their food source. Eventhough I keep my lights off, I still have several Geckos hanging out and I do see spiders so maybe not a fix but it sure keeps the numbers down.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Sorry to be asking what might be a dumb question, but what are anoles and Crazy Ants?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Sorry to be asking what might be a dumb question, but what are anoles and Crazy Ants?
Anoles are lizards, only a few are native to Florida many are invasive species from Cuba and elsewhere, good free natural insect control. Along with the tree frogs and etc.

Caribbean crazy ants are ants that are small and invade in large amounts, that is if you have them you will see hundreds maybe thousands leading a trail from the nest into your home. They are called "crazy ants" because of the way they move, quick and all over the place.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 PM

251 posts, read 885,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsunshine View Post
I've had insects come and go most of my time here. We just moved and my last home seemed to finally have settled down. Very few insects. Now I'm getting up to 12 spiders a day! My dd just found one in the toilet! My dh sprayed last week. I never spray b/c I hate pesticides but I don't want any of us getting bit in the house. We're washed down the outside of the house and knocked down any spider nests. What else can I do?
Spiders are good, they eat all the other little buggies! and yes they are almost impossible to kill..sorry

Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 PM

42 posts, read 254,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I don't have a major bug problem, but I live on the coast. I do see spiders, mostly outdoors. I have a lot of geckos and anoles around the house and a couple of big toads to keep them controlled. The only problem I had that disappeared after treatment was Crazy Ants.

I would check your doors and windows for voids, replace the weather stripping if needed and caulk any small cracks. Turn off your outdoor lights at night to stop attracting their food source. Eventhough I keep my lights off, I still have several Geckos hanging out and I do see spiders so maybe not a fix but it sure keeps the numbers down.
Thanks!! We did seal any cracks we found and added more weather-stripping. When I put up the blinds I se them between the window and the screen. EVERY window right now. I'll have to keep looking for entry points. This house is brand new so I didn't expect so many spiders. I thought it would be well sealed.

I haven't seen any frogs or lizards here. We're close to a lake so I'm wondering if that adds to it.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsunshine View Post
Thanks!! We did seal any cracks we found and added more weather-stripping. When I put up the blinds I se them between the window and the screen. EVERY window right now. I'll have to keep looking for entry points. This house is brand new so I didn't expect so many spiders. I thought it would be well sealed.

I haven't seen any frogs or lizards here. We're close to a lake so I'm wondering if that adds to it.
Check your screens, you may need to add that self adhesive foam to seal off the screens a little better. Spider **** is a mess to clean off when it dries, not to mention if you get a Black Widow or Recluse in the house very dangerous. Do you live near a wooded area? I'm not sure where you live, but around here Anoles and Geckos are all over the place even Jesus Lizards also Iguanas, but they are useless against insect control since they are vegans.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Default spiders

Welcome to FL ...to insect heaven..lol.
Insect control is so difficult here, it's not even funny.
When we moved to FL, we were welcomed by fire ants (now at this point we look like burn victims, because of the scars they have left behind on our legs),fleas in our grass (which our dogs had to deal with), a black widow in our garage, humongous mosquitos, and big alligators across the street at the lake....lol. I felt a bit overwhelmed and like living in the jungle, but, you will get used to everything.....lol
Well, what we do anymore is treating our lawn with granulats, one or two applications a year for ants, spiders, roaches etc. It really works well, haven't had any problems with those critters, my legs and dogs thank me.
What helps too are frogs and lizards, which we have plenty of. I do spray the inside of my house, and the application lasts up to 6 months. I gave up, however on those "sugar" ants, which are so tiny, and appear EVERYWHERE in your house. Even spraying will not help...they disappear and re-appear someplace else. Gave up on them....
Good luck !

Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Thanks for the info, Blauskies. Too bad you brought up a new one...What's a Jesus Lizard?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:43 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Hope this helps:

The normal “house spiders” are gray, pale yellow or tan and are small, no more than ¼ inch in circu****ence. If you notice a spider that is larger, ½ inch or more with distinct patterns or brightly colored, and can move quickly and jump, then these are the outdoor species.

Debris around and in your home and yard needs to be cleared. It is a good idea any time, to maintain conscientious cleaning practice. Prime areas for spiders are woodpiles, compost, and dead leaves that have accumulated, and trash. Moist areas such as basements, cellars, garage, crawl spaces need be free of debris and kept as dry as possible.

Caulking small cracks and crevices will discourage “outside” spiders from entering your home. Well-fitted doors and windows will stop the invading army of spiders from entering your abode. Inside the residence vacuum and dust under furniture, and in and around corners and closets as often as possible. Items left undisturbed for too long will send an invitation to our friend the spider to move in, remember they like to be isolated.

If you should need to use chemicals then, Diazinon 25% used outdoors is a good choice. Spray around the foundation of your home covering about eight or so inches of soil adjacent to the foundation. Indoors you can choose formulas of chlorpyrifos, and propoxur. Diligently follow instructions and understand the directions on the labels. Check with local hardware stores and garden site distributors for further suggestions.

http://vava.essortment.com/spidercontrol_ofv.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida