Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times

Advertisements

Sorry that the Walmart isn't 'Super'. (I think I've set foot in it three times in the past 10 years. After dealing with the total Walmart monopoly when we lived in Tennessee, I grew to loathe the place and take my business elsewhere.) There's no excuse for not having fresh strawberries this time of year when both the local Publix and Fresh Market are getting the Plant City ones in all the time.

Speaking of, I feel like the Destin Publix-Fresh Market combo makes for far better grocery offerings than what you'd find in other metro areas of 200K, and comes out much better than far larger places I've lived or spent a lot of time. Add in the odd trip to World Market in PCB for their junk foods of the world, and the Thai and Mexican small groceries and just off the Gulf fishmarkets in the area, and you'd have to go to New Orleans to do better for groceries.

As for Macy's, maybe it's because it's been years since I've been in an original one, and have only been in the former Burdine's and Hudson's ones in recent years, but the ones I've been in have been underwhelming. They leave me missing the classic Hudson's dearly.

As for the outlet stores, I've gotten suits and suit pants from Banana Republic's store that have held up beautifully for years, and have also had good luck at Books Brothers for durability. But then I don't do trendy, and pretty much skip everything between suits and jeans/flip-flops when it comes to wardrobe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 AM

440 posts, read 2,425,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
But then I don't do trendy, and pretty much skip everything between suits and jeans/flip-flops when it comes to wardrobe.

Haha .... know what you mean ... wardrobe consists mostly of Sarongs, Shorts, Tank Tops, Jeans, Flip Flops, and Flip Flop Socks if required. Of course there are dress up versions and everyday versions of the previously mentioned items

Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 AM

You know you've been in Florida a while if you differentiate between dressy flip-flops, dress casual flip-flops, and flip-flops you actually wear to the beach or pool.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM

142 posts, read 455,283 times
Speaking of, I feel like the Destin Publix-Fresh Market combo makes for far better grocery offerings than what you'd find in other metro areas of 200K, and comes out much better than far larger places I've lived or spent a lot of time. Add in the odd trip to World Market in PCB for their junk foods of the world, and the Thai and Mexican small groceries and just off the Gulf fishmarkets in the area, and you'd have to go to New Orleans to do better for groceries.

Like I said a person would have to go to several different markets to make out. I suppose I did not realize that having a krogers and miejers on every corner was so important to me. I might just like shopping all day for groceries.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilelady View Post
I am in Destin Florida with my two young adult children and my 18mt old grandbaby. Couple of things I have noticed in Destin and PCB. It is in fact service jobs mostly neither one of my teenagers had any problems getting a job in October 2008. Full time jobs are very few. Currently every job here is getting about 150 applications on day one. It is easier to get two part time jobs. The average pay in the winter seems to be 7.50 to 9.50 no matter what and if you are lucky.

You can forget the health insurance, the employers offer it but the price is too high. Every daycare here in Destin is full and/or running on the school system schedule. There is No MACY's and you are not going to find one within a day’s drive. Food is very limited for example very little fruit, frozen or fresh it’s hard to explain but I am use to having a large choice of food supplies (Kroger’s) and Super Wal-marts etc. It would be a challenge to find leaf lettuce.

Cleaning supplies are off the hook. If you don't mind shopping four or five different stores you possible could make out. There is a Fresh Market that recently opened but it's a little high. Currently a person can live in a resort here year round only because of the economy, that’s nice but I am not sure it’s worth it.

There is a since of depression in this area in the winter months. I believe it feels colder here in the winter than let’s say Ohio. That wet cold and wind is un believably cold. The ocean and the beach is the best in the United State. The sand is like fine sugar. The water is a beautiful emerald blue green. My grandbaby loves it.

Is it worth living here year around I don't think so. If a person is not selling real estate or doing something with real estate or running a business that closes in the winter I don't know how a person could get ahead. I’ am running my business here and experiencing life on the coast and giving my grandbaby that experience for a while but I don’t see my family and I staying here much past 2009 full time. If I were not traveling back and forth to Austin I would lose my mind.
Have you not been to Pensacola? There are four Super Wal-Mart's, two Targets, and numerous clothing stores such as Ross, Kohl's, Dillard's, Belk, Gap, Limited, Abercrombie, Eddie Bauer, TJ Maxx, Stein Mart, etc, .

I went in Macy's when I was in NYC and I didn't see where it was any better than JC Penney.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilelady View Post

Like I said a person would have to go to several different markets to make out. I suppose I did not realize that having a krogers and miejers on every corner was so important to me. I might just like shopping all day for groceries.
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the grocery front. While I actually like Meijer's quite a bit and regard them as the one true megastore, of which Walmart is only a pale copy, I don't see them as particularly strong on the middlebrow to upscale grocery front. And the Korger's I've been in over the years have ranged from pretty ordinary to downright scary; the only time I've regularly shopped in one was when the alternative was Piggly Wiggly/ IGA.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You know you've been in Florida a while if you differentiate between dressy flip-flops, dress casual flip-flops, and flip-flops you actually wear to the beach or pool.
That made my day.....Frank D.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Thumbs up World’s Luckiest Fishing Village

Great feedback so far. I live in Navarre for the past 11 years and visit Destin a few times a month for business and pleasure. The area is great if you like the heavily tourist masses. Great shopping and eateries that can accommodate the casual to the five star desires.

The growth of the area is continuous because many have found Destin as a true paradise away from the big city turmoil. Is a small city with lots of people.

The location also offers fast access to other cities and towns that can fill the gap for what you can't find in Destin. From the east you have Panama City on the West Fort Walton and Pcola. With two large airports and one on the way @ near Panama City access to the area is easy.

We do lack a well established Taxi service, but we do have one or two companies that are on call to provide their service.

Weather is great and you all know that this is a great place for fishing and Golf. Again is a little paradise for some of us to escape and get a bit of a fast pace city.

See link: Welcome to the City of Destin!
Destin Area Chamber of Commerce

Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM

142 posts, read 455,283 times
It's been a pleasure getting you all stirred up! Keep typing that is the point the panhandle does have alot to offer but your going to need to sell it. For me I will be here six months out of the year and then I will be back in Austin and Dallas for the remaining six months. Big City girl at heart.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:14 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,146,800 times
Someone just told me that I should go to Destin with my family. I am wondering if the water is too cold to swim in in early February. We will be driving from the Dallas, TX area in a couple of weeks if we do go. I am looking at some rentals Ariel Dunes that look pretty cheap, $89 per night. Is that area nice? What can a family of 5 do besides lounge at the beach (17, 11, 6 and two parents)
Thanks for any advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida