Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2022, 10:35 AM
 
184 posts, read 319,118 times
Reputation: 229

Advertisements

Florida’s Got a Surprising New House Hunter—Texans ----- Barron's




"Agents in Florida, who have traditionally catered to U.S. buyers from the Northeast and Midwest, are now seeing clients from more unexpected areas. That includes high-tax California, but also low-tax states such as Texas, as well as Nevada and Tennessee."


“We’re seeing a completely different type of client moving to Florida,” said Ms. Adzem. “Before, it was a lot of New Yorkers and a lot of people from Connecticut and New Jersey. Now, it’s shifted where a majority of the recent families we’ve had buy [homes] here are all coming from California and Texas.”



https://www.barrons.com/articles/flo...ns-01647267783
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2022, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL; formerly Weston, FL
3,344 posts, read 3,308,055 times
Reputation: 6815
Flocking to the promised land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2022, 08:10 PM
 
27,340 posts, read 44,418,085 times
Reputation: 32636
Meanwhile at just 1.5% NET GROWTH it would appear the top destinations out of Florida are Georgia and Texas, and with 40% of the inbound gain due to retirees its not the best economic news for FL over the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2022, 10:15 PM
 
3,840 posts, read 3,408,218 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Meanwhile at just 1.5% NET GROWTH it would appear the top destinations out of Florida are Georgia and Texas, and with 40% of the inbound gain due to retirees its not the best economic news for FL over the long haul.

Makes little sense why one from Texas would move to Florida. I mean a logistics, but also a cost and economic standpoint. Even if you lived in a colder area of TX like the Panhandle for example you could always move down to the Houston area or further south to a place like Rockport or Corpus if you don't want a huge city like Houston. If you want really warm weather in the winter then south of Corpus the weather is the same in Tampa in the winter.


TX Gulf coast has cheaper housing for one, but the state has better government, better infrastructure on top of it. Most places in FL also have more traffic than coastal tx minus the Houston Metro area of course.


I would rather live in TX to be honest. FL Doesn't offer anything that TX doesn't unless it's Miami or the Keys if you want tropical weather in the winter. Otherwise most of FL has the same climate as far south TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2022, 11:49 PM
 
2,284 posts, read 644,445 times
Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Makes little sense why one from Texas would move to Florida. I mean a logistics, but also a cost and economic standpoint. Even if you lived in a colder area of TX like the Panhandle for example you could always move down to the Houston area or further south to a place like Rockport or Corpus if you don't want a huge city like Houston. If you want really warm weather in the winter then south of Corpus the weather is the same in Tampa in the winter.


TX Gulf coast has cheaper housing for one, but the state has better government, better infrastructure on top of it. Most places in FL also have more traffic than coastal tx minus the Houston Metro area of course.


I would rather live in TX to be honest. FL Doesn't offer anything that TX doesn't unless it's Miami or the Keys if you want tropical weather in the winter. Otherwise most of FL has the same climate as far south TX.
Florida's coastline is more built up - Florida's largest cities are on it (Miami area, Tampa Bay). Whereas Texas' coastline is relatively deserted, all large cities are basically inland (Austin, Dallas, and yes, I include Houston in this).

So if you want to live on the beach with some amenities, probably Florida has more appeal. Otherwise, I too wouldn't see the point. Sometimes also, when people retire, they're also looking for a change. Florida maybe enough of a change whereas at the same time not sacrificing what Texas has (no income tax, sane politics, etc).

Also, Florida is far better for boating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2022, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
13,257 posts, read 22,981,327 times
Reputation: 16428
The parts of Texas you’d actually want to live in are a lot more expensive than they were five years ago and property taxes are very high there. If you’re going to pay high housing costs anyways, might as well pick a place with some quality of life advantages in other ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2022, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Unknown
570 posts, read 565,910 times
Reputation: 685
Actually this is fairly common for alot people to move from Texas to Florida or vice versa. It's just nowhere on the level of say New Englanders moving to The Sunshine State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2022, 07:04 PM
 
5,390 posts, read 9,751,216 times
Reputation: 9997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirksDentley View Post
I'll take Texans any day. No Californians ever, ditto NYers
It's a free country. CA and NY are welcome. We're all literally Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2022, 08:09 PM
 
3,840 posts, read 3,408,218 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The parts of Texas you’d actually want to live in are a lot more expensive than they were five years ago and property taxes are very high there. If you’re going to pay high housing costs anyways, might as well pick a place with some quality of life advantages in other ways.
Jobs also pay a lot better in those areas too compared to FL. Even if the property taxes are a bit higher. FL is catching up though. With all the fees, property taxes going up, insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2022, 08:14 PM
 
3,840 posts, read 3,408,218 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Florida's coastline is more built up - Florida's largest cities are on it (Miami area, Tampa Bay). Whereas Texas' coastline is relatively deserted, all large cities are basically inland (Austin, Dallas, and yes, I include Houston in this).

So if you want to live on the beach with some amenities, probably Florida has more appeal. Otherwise, I too wouldn't see the point. Sometimes also, when people retire, they're also looking for a change. Florida maybe enough of a change whereas at the same time not sacrificing what Texas has (no income tax, sane politics, etc).

Also, Florida is far better for boating.
TX politics are far better. Not worried about them going blue. The gun laws are excellent in TX compared to here in FL. I'm from MO which has very similar gun laws to TX. The gun laws here in FL are extremely restrictive compared to MO. Houston isn't that far inland. Isn't much different than living in Tampa and having to drive all the way over to St. Pete to get to a actual beach on the Gulf. Just like Houston having to drive to Galveston.

I just see Texas offering more, plus it's more diverse age wise. I'm 38. Here in Florida when I get south of Hillsbourough County it feels like I'm in a geriatric ward because everyone is at least 20 years older than me lol here in Southwest FL. I lived in Naples when I was a teen, child for 10 years from 91-2002. SWFL catered to a retired crowd but it was nowhere near as old as it is today. Seemed it was younger back then. Census backs this up too for this region as the median age went up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:39 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top