Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 03:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
It's rare it ever goes that far. We got our new roof finally. Well, we got the money just waiting for it to get scheduled. No sense for either side to go to court over 20 grand.

The other issue is shoddy construction. As I posted before TONS of roof damage in my area of Punta Gorda to Nort Port, to northern Cape Coral after than december low pressure came through with wind gusts 70 to 82mph. That should NOT be happening like that for a short duration. That does not help the insurance matters. And a lot of it looked like newer construction too.
If new construction, blame the inspectors who are not doing their job. Sue the city over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 06:23 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I thought this article does a good job talking about all the issues. It is far worse than I thought. Working in the insurance industry, this scares me a lot now... I could see the whole system collapsing and all the losses being passed on to us in a new tax.

Seems like corruption between the bar and certain members of the legislature in key positions is the real issue here though if you read the whole thing.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/artic...lorida-history
Enlightening article. Scary, too. This particular part (below) caught my eye. Y'all don't need to be letting roofers on your roof to inspect without watching them like a hawk.

"While checking out at a gift shop, she struck up a conversation with the checkout associate. They began talking about their husbands’ jobs. The checkout associate said she and her husband had recently moved to Florida. He’s a roofer.

The store associate said he interviewed at five roofing companies and at each one his interviewers asked if he would be willing to inflict damage on roofs when conducting inspections.

He said no. None of the firms would hire him
."

Old 05-20-2022, 07:26 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Enlightening article. Scary, too. This particular part (below) caught my eye. Y'all don't need to be letting roofers on your roof to inspect without watching them like a hawk.

"While checking out at a gift shop, she struck up a conversation with the checkout associate. They began talking about their husbands’ jobs. The checkout associate said she and her husband had recently moved to Florida. He’s a roofer.

The store associate said he interviewed at five roofing companies and at each one his interviewers asked if he would be willing to inflict damage on roofs when conducting inspections.

He said no. None of the firms would hire him
."
The more I have been exposed to local government and state government here in Florida, I have been shocked at the corruption and cronyism. I thought it was bad back in Massachusetts, with the sweatheart jobs they give all their buddies, down here it seems to be giving your buddies carte blanche to break the law and get away with it. Probably explains a lot about the HOA insanity too. So it doesnt surprise me that the contractor business follows the same patterns in some cases.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:26 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
The more I have been exposed to local government and state government here in Florida, I have been shocked at the corruption and cronyism. I thought it was bad back in Massachusetts, with the sweatheart jobs they give all their buddies, down here it seems to be giving your buddies carte blanche to break the law and get away with it. Probably explains a lot about the HOA insanity too. So it doesnt surprise me that the contractor business follows the same patterns in some cases.
Hoas are commies in fl. Ours is getting bad.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:29 AM

276 posts, read 231,256 times
is it true that some insurance adjusters work on commission- so the larger the claim the more they make?

Old 05-21-2022, 10:29 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anicon View Post
is it true that some insurance adjusters work on commission- so the larger the claim the more they make?
Never heard of that practice. I know there are companies that outsource claims adjusting to other companies, but its not the claim amount that is the basis of pay, its the complexity of the work and number of claims reviewed... and those jobs are usually salaried. Any bonuses would be based on number of claims reviewed usually.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:05 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
HOI prices went up and by a lot and it's upsetting.
I recently company price for the same home from 5 years ago and now. Obviously, house was 5 years younger before. Price went up 2.5 times!
We had HOI for almost 30 last years between different properties. Never made a single claim - nothing at all. One of our homes has older room (15-17 y.o.) and no issues - no signs of leaks, no missing singles, nothing, but insurance company won't extend policy with such an "old" roof.
We have zero damage to the roof from weather, so we refused to go through these roofing companies and file claim through insurance. I called many many different companies and all wanted to work through insurance only. Nobody was interested in cash payment instead, so I am very puzzled about that. Prices for roof replacement went up two times. And we cannot even find anyone to take care of our roof. To be fair, since existing roof has no issues something tells me it was done with better quality so its kind of stupid to fix something that is not broken... But insurance companies want new roof even if quality we will get now might be below existing...
So crazy... Go figure...

Old 05-21-2022, 10:44 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
HOI prices went up and by a lot and it's upsetting.
I recently company price for the same home from 5 years ago and now. Obviously, house was 5 years younger before. Price went up 2.5 times!
We had HOI for almost 30 last years between different properties. Never made a single claim - nothing at all. One of our homes has older room (15-17 y.o.) and no issues - no signs of leaks, no missing singles, nothing, but insurance company won't extend policy with such an "old" roof.
We have zero damage to the roof from weather, so we refused to go through these roofing companies and file claim through insurance. I called many many different companies and all wanted to work through insurance only. Nobody was interested in cash payment instead, so I am very puzzled about that. Prices for roof replacement went up two times. And we cannot even find anyone to take care of our roof. To be fair, since existing roof has no issues something tells me it was done with better quality so its kind of stupid to fix something that is not broken... But insurance companies want new roof even if quality we will get now might be below existing...
So crazy... Go figure...

Well, my policy wasn't one of those being dropped by Fednat, however their policies are supposed to be transferred to some other company so when my roof gets replaced hopefully within the next 3 weeks my agent is going to look for a better company.

Will having a brand new roof help with getting cheaper rates? 17 years out of a roof in Florida? That seems to be pushing it.

I'm just glad I got the check in the bank and the money. Who knows with Fednat handing off their policies to this other company how much of a nightmare that would be. There are still two other houses in my sub division with tarps on their roofs from last Dec that wind storm as well.

I really think the questionable work done on construction plays a factor. From northern Cape Coral up to North Port there was a lot of roof damage from that low pressure system last Dec. For wind gusts that were 70 to 82mph for under 2 hours. These roofs were not up to code when built. Charlotte County had it the worst. That falls on the inspectors too. hell, they never even wired my smoke detectors! The electrician installing my fans pointed this out to us. Dunno how that passed. When I sold my last house in St. Louis the inspector checked all of the alarms.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:19 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
There might be some help coming in the special legislature session coming up but could also cause rates to increase much higher with all the older roofs now being forced to stay on the insurance rolls...

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...rance-session/

Quote:
Under a policy plan unveiled three days before lawmakers return to Tallahassee to tackle Florida’s property insurance crisis, companies would be blocked from denying coverage because of a roof’s age if the roof is less than 15 years old.

And for roofs that are older than 15 years, insurers would have to allow homeowners to have an inspection on the roof’s condition before refusing coverage. If the inspection shows the roof has five or more years of useful life left, the insurance company could not reject coverage simply because of age.

The ideas are meant to halt one of the worst side effects from the state’s insurance crisis. As insurance companies have seen a rise in roof claims, they’ve refused to insure homes with older roofs, shedding policies and forcing homeowners to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new roof just to get coverage.

The proposals were announced after weeks of negotiations between leaders of the House and Senate and staff working for Gov. Ron DeSantis, who earlier this week promised “a very significant package” to address the crisis.

In addition to roofs, lawmakers are proposing:

Assigning $2 billion to a new reinsurance program — insurance that insurers buy — to cover losses during hurricane season. Insurers that buy into the program would have to reduce homeowners’ rates by June 30.
Creating a host of limits on attorney’s fees in lawsuits against insurance companies. Insurers have blamed lawyers for causing double-digit rate increases for most Floridians.
Allowing Floridians to receive up to $10,000 for home-hardening improvements on their homesteaded properties valued at $500,000 or less. Homeowners would receive $2 for every $1 they spend.
Quote:
The proposed legislation would create an exemption in the state’s building code, so that roofs that are more than 25% damaged but already comply with the 2007 building code may be repaired instead of being required to be replaced.

Insurance companies would also be allowed to offer policies with a separate roof deductible that would not exceed 2% of the policy dwelling limits or 50% of the roof replacement costs. Homeowners would be required to get a discount for selecting that policy, and the deductible would not apply if the home is a total loss, or damaged by a hurricane, a fallen tree branch or a roof loss requiring a repair of less than 50% of the roof.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Our co-op insurance increased 70% post Surfside. Our building has been regularly inspected and is well maintained. Apparently changes in the insurance industry now prevent one company from fully insuring co-op/condominium buildings requiring shared liability coverage among multiple insurers. The pool of insurers is rapidly getting smaller and smaller increasing the premium costs. The banks add to the problem with additional insurance requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida