Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 08:52 AM

184 posts, read 315,942 times

Advertisements

Verizon: Everyone Is Moving to Florida ---- PC Magazine

"The COVID pandemic has led more than a quarter-million Verizon Wireless subscribers to move from elsewhere in the country to Florida, according to a press release from the wireless carrier.

"With the evolution of the distributed workforce resulting from the pandemic, we’re seeing more people permanently change locations to Florida, and other places. Experiencing the impact of this influx, we revised our forecasting models and are pouring additional capital into the state to grow our coverage and capacity to meet the increased demands," says Kyle Malady, Verizon's EVP of networks and technology.

Among the counties and cities it listed, Orlando and Miami had the biggest growth in increased busy-hour population, with Orlando up 408% and Miami up 365%, as opposed to a "mere" 135% in Tampa. The additional traffic means Verizon will spend $149 million more to build Florida networks than it had expected to pre-pandemic, the company says.

All three carriers have recently been focusing new networks on Florida. AT&T's initial 5G C-band rollout only included eight cities in the US, but three were in Florida alone: Jacksonville, Orlando, and the Miami metro area."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/verizon-e...ing-to-florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 10:01 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
If the carriers were able and/or willing to filter out all the spam calls, that could free up a a lot of capacity.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:24 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
One of the fringe benefits of having moved to Florida from another state (in my case, Georgia) is that I kept my old cell-phone number, including my old area code. Since the spam callers try to spoof "local" numbers when they call, the tech doesn't know what to do with my situation. The spam calls use the old area code, so it's easy to spot them. I might get two or three spam calls a month, while friends here might get twice that many per day. All I can say is Thanks Verizon.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:23 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
One of the fringe benefits of having moved to Florida from another state (in my case, Georgia) is that I kept my old cell-phone number, including my old area code. Since the spam callers try to spoof "local" numbers when they call, the tech doesn't know what to do with my situation. The spam calls use the old area code, so it's easy to spot them. I might get two or three spam calls a month, while friends here might get twice that many per day. All I can say is Thanks Verizon.

I still have my St. Louis zipcode and get a couple spam calls per day.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:56 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I have my CT area code and same. A few times a day!

Old 05-21-2022, 05:57 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
They must know I'm poor and decided I had no money to be scammed out of. Seriously though, I thought the area code thing had to be the reason why I seem to be flying under their radar. if I figure out the real reason, I'll be sure to share it with my C-D peeps.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:37 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

YES! I also kept my northern phone number when I moved to Florida. It's so easy to ignore spam spoofed calls because, as you say, they have my old area code. I just look at the phone and ignore the call.

I get maybe several spam calls or texts a month.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:21 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I got a call from Kansas last week. They don't care where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida